PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy for $500?

Weapon_R
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I am looking for a digital camera for work in the range of $500 or less. This will be used for various office events and functions and must capture decent quality pictures but does not have to be anything fantastic.

Any recommendations? I'm partial to Canon, but if there's something better in that range i'm open to everything.

Also, i'd prefer that it had a decent macro lens if it can be worked into that budget.

C4S
07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
FZ7 or TZ1, FX-01 is nice too .. :)

they re aweomse ..

I like the 12 or 10 times zoom ...

only draw back .. high iso noise issue .. ( Fuji and Canon one are better in this case )

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
The S2 IS can be had for pretty cheap if you can find one, since they're discontinued.

Thaco
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
anything from the Canon Power Shot SD line.

I have an SD500 and i love it
It's small and powerful, got manual mode if you like, and it's not filled with all that "special picture" sepia, B&W BS that you can do in post anyways.

Shoebox//Racer
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
im looking in that price range too. the ones that seem to grab my attention are the SD600's and the Panasonic Lumix fx-01.

the canons out right now claim to be wide screen but just cut the top and bottom of the photos off, whereas the panasonic actually has a 28mm lense and true widescreen photos, and a widescreen video mode too =p thats kinda what has me going for the panasonic right now.

rayquan
07-28-2006, 11:14 AM
How about Fujifilm Finepix F30?

HRD2PLZ
08-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I just picked up a Canon S3 IS. Its was just over $600 with tax. But like you, I didn't need anything fancy but I didn't want a small point and shoot. I think there is a fair amount of versatility with this camera (without moving to an SLR). Its a little more than you want to spend, but might be worth a look. Canon Powershot S3 (http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=31946)

asuth077
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
anything from the Canon Power Shot SD line.

I have an SD500 and i love it
It's small and powerful, got manual mode if you like, and it's not filled with all that "special picture" sepia, B&W BS that you can do in post anyways.

I concur, I have a A520 for casual photography and enjoy it alot.

soupey
08-10-2006, 10:41 AM
are u looking for a bulkier camera or...something compact?

the SD and older S series from canon will do a wicked job, or else u can move up to the bigger A series that offer a few more features, i preferred my canon s400 (4mp smaller camera) to the canon a540 (6.0mp larger camera), the a540 had a much larger lcd but it wasnt as vibrant as the lcd with the s400...that and for some reason i always felt that my shots came out better with the older camera...that and i could see the barrel distortion with the pictures taken by the a540...straight edges would appear bent on the pictures taken with the camera...

right now im looking at getting an canon s50, which should work more like the s400 i used to have....

if your looking for a larger camera, i guess i cant be of much help to u, but i'd go with canon > nikon > olympus... thats my personal opinion anyways, good luck with finding something

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2006, 05:32 PM
For a point-and-shoot, I'm going with this Casio (http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exs600.htm) intead of a Canon. I used to think Canon was untouchable for ultra compacts, but other manufacturers are now worth looking at.

clem24
08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Used D50?

viper91180
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I just picked up a Canon S3 IS. Its was just over $600 with tax. But like you, I didn't need anything fancy but I didn't want a small point and shoot. I think there is a fair amount of versatility with this camera (without moving to an SLR). Its a little more than you want to spend, but might be worth a look. Canon Powershot S3 (http://www.thecamerastore.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=31946)

i agree, i just got one two days ago and love it, i just really getting into photography for something to do, the only other camera i had was an older kodak easyshare 3 mp the pics were getting blurry and stuff so i moved into this and dam i love it, not ready financially or ability wise for an slr yet so this is good for me.