PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Cardeals Auto Sales?

variable_x
07-22-2006, 11:33 AM
My parents are looking to get a corolla. We found a 98 corolla at T&T Honda going for $8500, but this one is without A/C. We have also seen one at Cardeals Auto Sales which has a 2000 corolla with A/C for $9900. Previously my parents have had bad experiences with these used car lots. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Cardeals Auto Sales or should we just play it safe and get the corolla without A/C from T&T Honda.

Thanks for the help.

canadian_hustla
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
hey i have heard horror stories from people buying at smaller used car lots (auction cars), and have had similar horror stories from buying used cars at reputable dealerships (farm cars,accident cars,auction cars). Do your homework, do a carfax and check to make sure it is not an ontario/quebec/BC car, make sure it hasn't had any accidents, look for premature rusting.

basically it is buyer beware. But A/C is a great option to have, so I would go for the more expensive one if I were you.. more bang for your buck so to speak.

good luck

me&you
07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla
hey i have heard horror stories from people buying at smaller used car lots (auction cars), and have had similar horror stories from buying used cars at reputable dealerships (farm cars,accident cars,auction cars). Do your homework, do a carfax and check to make sure it is not an ontario/quebec/BC car, make sure it hasn't had any accidents, look for premature rusting.

basically it is buyer beware. But A/C is a great option to have, so I would go for the more expensive one if I were you.. more bang for your buck so to speak.

good luck

Carfax is utterly useless... I'd say about 35% effective.

Use Carproof.

Weapon_R
07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
You should NEVER have a bad "used car lot" dealership. The only time ppl get screwed is when they screw themselves. Inspect the car, find its history, get underneath it, compare it with others of the same year and mileage to get a sense of what it should drive like, etc.

I don't understand why people think dealerships are out to screw them.

the_new_santa1
07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
^ I agree...If you research a car enough and not just buy it off iof an impulse you will be much better off.......

variable_x
07-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You should NEVER have a bad "used car lot" dealership. The only time ppl get screwed is when they screw themselves. Inspect the car, find its history, get underneath it, compare it with others of the same year and mileage to get a sense of what it should drive like, etc.

I don't understand why people think dealerships are out to screw them.

What I mean by bad experiences is taking cars from used lots for inspection and the car turns out completely junk. My parents have taken 3 cars for inspection from used car lots, spending well over $200 dollars and all cars were junk. First, a 96 corolla, the used car lot guy told us it was accident free. But after inspection, the car had its hood changed, front crash bumper brace changed / modified (so it wasn't even fixed properly). The second maxima we check through 'autocheck' has had it's kilometer rolled back by used car lot. The third subaru we looked at needed $2500 dollar of repairs while the used car lot guy told us that their inspection turned out perfect. Now from their past, my parents have also bought 3 used cars from new car dealerships and all of them turned out perfect. Of course, there is also a lot of luck invovled in their car buying experiences.

Another thing I have heard from both the new car dealers and used car lots is that the new car dealers keep trade-ins that they think is good and sell it themselves. For the rest, they just sell it to used car lots. That releases the liability of them selling a bad car thus affecting their reputation. I heard from used a car lots that over 80% of their vehicles come from the new car dealership's trade-in.

glennc
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Its hard to know just by the name on the sign whether theyre out to screw you. Sometimes they dont know if the car has a thumping problem, ect.

Take it to your shop to get an inspection, or a shop you trust. Get the mechanic to allow you to come in and look underneath, wheel wells, ect. Ask for a full report of any problems and take that to the salesman and show him. You will eithernot buy the car, or get a better deal and fix some of the problems.