PDA

View Full Version : how does one go about determining the value of a used car?

Canadian 2.5RS
07-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Especially if there are no comperable vehicles in the auto trader?

Basically my wife got rear-ended and it wrote off the car and we want to make sure that we are getting a fair price from the insurance company.

any advice from people who have been in similar situations would be greatful.

infected
07-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Canadian Blackbook value.

thinmyster
07-22-2006, 02:49 PM
you will usually be screwed by the insurance company because of the black book value.

googe
07-22-2006, 09:47 PM
book value can be contested. you need to be able to demonstrate what the market would pay though. if there are no comparable vehicles it would be hard. an appraiser maybe? theyre probably hit and miss though.

Supa Dexta
07-22-2006, 09:59 PM
post what the car was and you'll hear on here..

02 is300? I'll give ya 2k, well 1800 cash right now!...

:rofl:

That.Guy.S30
07-23-2006, 02:21 AM
shitty. was it the rs?

Canadian 2.5RS
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
No it wasnt the RS... Thank God!

It was my wife's 96 Dodge Stratus ES.

Car Description:
1996 Dodge Stratus ES
2.5L V6
Power everything (incl. height adjustable seats)
Leather interior (I think it was real leather)
I dont know the Kms off hand but i know they were well under 200k
overall it is in pretty good shape (very minimal surface rust, a little paint oxidation on the plastic window sills, good running order)

If anyone can price this out for me I would be greatful. I found a few adds on canadatrader but it is difficult to price out this combo since all the adds have either the 2.5L or the appropriate option (never both). I dont really know what would be considered comparible. I plan on using what I find to contest the black book value if it isn't what I would like to get for the car.

Is there somewhere to find the canadian black book pricing guide online?

lint
07-24-2006, 09:28 AM
www.vmrcanada.com

here is the 96 dodge stratus. select your options and it will give you black book and market
http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/96dostus.htm

Canadian 2.5RS
07-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by lint
www.vmrcanada.com

here is the 96 dodge stratus. select your options and it will give you black book and market
http://www.vmrcanada.com/value_menus/canprices/96dostus.htm

awesome. thanks.

me&you
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
No it wasnt the RS... Thank God!

It was my wife's 96 Dodge Stratus ES.

Car Description:
1996 Dodge Stratus ES
2.5L V6
Power everything (incl. height adjustable seats)
Leather interior (I think it was real leather)
I dont know the Kms off hand but i know they were well under 200k
overall it is in pretty good shape (very minimal surface rust, a little paint oxidation on the plastic window sills, good running order)

If anyone can price this out for me I would be greatful. I found a few adds on canadatrader but it is difficult to price out this combo since all the adds have either the 2.5L or the appropriate option (never both). I dont really know what would be considered comparible. I plan on using what I find to contest the black book value if it isn't what I would like to get for the car.

Is there somewhere to find the canadian black book pricing guide online?

The car has depreciated enough that options become moot. Engine and mileage are the two comparables that insurance will look at. You might be able to talk them into a few extra bucks (think 100) to compensate for something like leather, sunroof etc.

Shouldn't be hard to find a comparable Stratus.