PDA

View Full Version : Rental Cars and Parking Tickets

sexualbanana
07-23-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm currently in LA living on the UCLA campus right now without a car, and I decided to rent a car this weekend. I did the same thing last year and never got a ticket so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

Well this year, I've gotten 2 parking tickets totalling $90 (and you thought U of C parking was expensive). My roomates tell me because it's a rental car, I don't have to worry about the ticket. I think that's total crap
because otherwise renters can just park with impunity. What do you think?

P.S. I'm aware this is a Calgary forum and I'm in LA, but I'm just curious to hear your opinion.

ZMan2k2
07-23-2006, 07:48 PM
So, the parking ticket is registered against the license plate of the car. The date of the offence is on the ticket. Simple math tells me that if you gave them your CC#, any ticket against the car in that time frame, will go on your CC. Otherwise companies would go broke paying fines for cars they rent out.

Hell, if that was the case, I'd rent a Mustang and blow by EVERY photoradar station in Calgary, flipping the bird to every camera as I passed.

LittleAngel
07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
ya you will rpobably have to pay for it, because rental company knows who had the car at what time. check the agreement, probably says something on there about tickets, but pretty sure you will end up paying for it

benyl
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM
They will charge your credit card automatically. They will also charge you a processing fee. Usually the "processing fee" is $50USD per ticket.

SilverBoost
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
It's like taing a robe from a hotel room.... it's only free until they find out. Then they charge your credit card. Same applies to tickets on rental cars.

96Mx6
07-24-2006, 09:49 AM
In Toronto, I always took the toll road with the rental car. No one stops you, they get your plate info and mail you the bill. 3 months later Budget changed my credit card, and a modest 8$ processing fee. I was fine with that.

topmade
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
:werd: they will charge you sooner or later. Pay now or get charged later with a processing fee, it's up to you.

benyl
07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 96Mx6
In Toronto, I always took the toll road with the rental car. No one stops you, they get your plate info and mail you the bill. 3 months later Budget changed my credit card, and a modest 8$ processing fee. I was fine with that.

Budget Canada must be nice then.

Budget USA charged me a $50 processing fee for a toll road ticket. I got the ticket in Irvine CA.

SilverBoost
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Budget Canada must be nice then.

Budget USA charged me a $50 processing fee for a toll road ticket. I got the ticket in Irvine CA.

Yeah they don't care for extra processing in the US. :)