PDA

View Full Version : GF looking for psycology/working with kids job

Woz
07-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey

My GF and i just moved to Calgary and she is looking for work out here. She currently works with Autistic kids in Winnipeg and is looking to work with children with psycological problems in Calgary as well. She has 1 full year of experience doing this so far. The children she has worked with have been early years (less than 6 years old) and if possible she would like to stay in that age bracket but she is flexible.

She is looking for full time work and will have a university degree in psycologly by december (2 courses away right now).

She is looking for a beginning of school (or beginning of September start date) if possible as this is when she gets out here(i have moved out here before her)

IF anyone knows of any openings post it up here or send an email to [email protected] with more information and i can get you a resume for her.

Thanks

Scott

ninspeed
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
My sister is in this field, and she had 4 job offers with in about 2 days... she is wokring at the foothills now, but just left the Austism Society of Calgary.. and i know they are allways looking for people. They have group and Ind. work.. and pay quite well if you have schooling

Woz
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
My sister is in this field, and she had 4 job offers with in about 2 days... she is wokring at the foothills now, but just left the Austism Society of Calgary.. and i know they are allways looking for people. They have group and Ind. work.. and pay quite well if you have schooling

excellent, is there any way you could get me some more information? As in a phone or email number? IF you could that would be awesome. Little short on contacts out here.

Also, do you know the range for wages?

Thanks for the info BTW

Scott

If anyone else has some info that would be awesome too.

Woz
08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has leads in this area of work. Post it up if you do or know of any other sites for this information.

Thanks

Scott

ashee
08-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Maybe look on the CBE site and see if there's anything in an elementary school as guidance counsellor or some kind of support staff?

TC2002
08-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I also heard that the Autism Society of Calgary is hiring. http://www.sta-ab.com/career.htm

Renfrew Educational Services is another good one. http://www.renfreweducation.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=18

I know the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) is always needing education assistants at all levels, especially for special education. It's kind of hard to get in, but you never know. http://www.cbe.ab.ca/employment/support/EOAP.asp Keep checking that website, especially if she is graduating soon. The HR people aren't always friendly, but I'm sure she can always contact them with any questions.

Best of luck to her either way! We need people who are passionate about working with autistic children in our school system and out of school care centres. :thumbsup:

Woz
08-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks

I think she has checked out those ones but i will forward them on.

I'm assuming it's tough to get into the education jobs out here as well?

TC2002
08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Actually, it's a pretty good year to get into education right now. Lots of retirements and funding for the younger grades (K-3) meaning more job openings. Also, if your are fluent in a second language (French, Spanish, Mandarin) then you're basically guaranteed a job right now. High demand there. Just depends on what you specialize in.

There's also Rocky View School Division, which is like Airdrie, Springbank, Chestermere... they have been looking for people, and private schools as well.

Woz
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TC2002
Actually, it's a pretty good year to get into education right now. Lots of retirements and funding for the younger grades (K-3) meaning more job openings. Also, if your are fluent in a second language (French, Spanish, Mandarin) then you're basically guaranteed a job right now. High demand there. Just depends on what you specialize in.

There's also Rocky View School Division, which is like Airdrie, Springbank, Chestermere... they have been looking for people, and private schools as well.

She speaks english as well as polish and ukrainian so i'm assuming that would be a bonus. The CBE is where she would apply for these jobs correct? Or is every school division independant in Alberta?

TC2002
08-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I would definitely highlight those somewhere on the cover letter and in her resume under "additional skills." It will certainly help.

Yes, go on the CBE link I sent and find out the ways to apply there. Each school division is separate. They're all under the banner of the ATA (Alberta Teachers Association), but all run independently.

She should look into Rocky View School Division and Golden Hills School Division (Strathmore?) as well. I'm not sure if the Catholic system hires non-Catholics, but if they do, that's another option.

Woz
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TC2002
I would definitely highlight those somewhere on the cover letter and in her resume under "additional skills." It will certainly help.

Yes, go on the CBE link I sent and find out the ways to apply there. Each school division is separate. They're all under the banner of the ATA (Alberta Teachers Association), but all run independently.

She should look into Rocky View School Division and Golden Hills School Division (Strathmore?) as well. I'm not sure if the Catholic system hires non-Catholics, but if they do, that's another option.

Thanks again. And she is catholic so that is an option as well.

TC2002
08-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Woz

Thanks again. And she is catholic so that is an option as well.

No problem! Hope everything works out in the end. :thumbsup: