PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Front of a Cop Car

Dren
07-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Has anyone noticed. people who drive in front of a cop car would drive 10km/h less than the posted most of the way. people would not pass them .

And also downtown would let everyone, even people not even at the intersection cross.

turbotrip
07-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Isnt it pretty obvious why they do that? I fail to see a reason for this thread.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-24-2006, 02:44 AM
^^^ i also fail to see a reason... its a speed LIMIT. They just don't want to attract attention... its like a bee... leave it alone and usually it'll fly away to bother someone else

DannyO
07-24-2006, 02:47 AM
Yes I see people do that all the time, its the wrong thing to do, it arouses suspicion, best thing to do is go about 40KM over, and if they turn on the lights, make the basterds chase you, they will follow.

:thumbsup:

Dayclone
07-24-2006, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
Yes I see people do that all the time, its the wrong thing to do, it arouses suspicion, best thing to do is go about 40KM over, and if they turn on the lights, make the basterds chase you, they will follow.

Done it... not the best idea in the world.

Steve

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-24-2006, 02:51 AM
tell ya what... you do that... and i'll watch... i dont go under the limit... i tend to stick to the exact limit, drive with both hands, you know, perfect citizen, till they stop glaring at my riceyness... then they leave me alone and i can go back to "normal"

vietdood
07-24-2006, 02:52 AM
this happened when i drove back from edmonton for almost 45 minutes. rcmp leading in the front right lane and idiot in the left lane would not pass or move out of the passing lane. i saw this because i was 4 cars behind the cop car in the passing lane. after the cop excited off 45 minutes later everyone started speeding and passing the shit out of eachother. morons :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

Proboscis
07-24-2006, 02:55 AM
i did it on my dorkbike

Mitsu3000gt
07-24-2006, 08:31 AM
One time when I was driving back from edmonton a RCMP car was leading the pack, but at a very reasonable 130. The cop (she) was very nice to do so, as she was leading for easily 45 min. It was night time, and she was in the left lane, and when people who couldn't see that was an RCMP car were going faster than 130, then tailagting her to make her move over to pass, she would flash her lights once, and the person would immediately back off and realize it was an RCMP car. She was probably the nicest cop I've ever seen, and perhaps just wanted to get home as bad as everyone else did so she let us all speed.

Mark

teggypimp95
07-24-2006, 08:42 AM
^^^ that same thing happined to me on the highway. i wasent speeding to much but i was about to pass an unmarked car at night, and it had baby toys and everything in the window to make it look like any ones car. Right as i got close he flashed the lights and i backed off. I thought that was pretty nice of him because i could of got a speeding ticket easy.

topmade
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
There is no need to go 10 under unless your really anal about being pulled over and if that is the case, your not helping yourself much

thesmackdown
07-24-2006, 09:34 AM
I can speak for most cops on this. People that usually go like 50 in a 50 right in front of a cop just piss the shit out of them since they are almost always driving towards a call and really could care if you are going 60 or 65 or whatever in a 50.

Drew
07-24-2006, 09:41 AM
^if that was the case why wouldn't they just put the lights on to move your slow ass aside if they really need to get to their call?

thesmackdown
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Most cops know they have rules to go with as well. There are the odd few that will abuse the overhead emergency lights BUT if they get caught the fine is severe from the serjeant. I have seen a couple tickets handed out to constables from their serjeants for misusing equipment.

It does annoy them though that people are paranoid around them. Most officers will generally only give you a speeding ticket if you truly deserve it.

96Mx6
07-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Cops even call it "Leading the Parade".

cityhunter2501
07-24-2006, 09:50 AM
usually I drive at speed limit or +5km/h more, just to not draw any suspicion.
lucky for me, never been pulled in the 3 years I've been driving

AD_Runner
07-24-2006, 09:53 AM
i don't stay behide cops --- if they are driving slow or the speed limit I will go at least 2 or 3 miles over the speed limit and pass -- most cops are not ass wipes to stop someone for speeding 2 or 3 miles over ----

DeeK
07-24-2006, 10:01 AM
I do like +5 over the limit.. regardless of what the cop is doing.

I was driving home out highway one in front of C.O.P. one day.

a cop was doing the speed limit and people were staying behind him. I guess he thought it would be funny to slow down, so EVERYONE slowed down.. now we are doing 50. and people still arent passing. So the cop decides to fuck with everyone a bit more.. now we are doing 30 on highway 1. fuck sakes..

A little spot opened up for me and I shot thru it and flew past the cop. Engine screaming and everything... he did nothing of course, as soon as I passed, everyone else joined in and basically swallowed up that cop.

Fucking idiot drivers so paranoid. Cops should be handing out tickets for people that go WAY under the limit like some of the paranoid rejects out there.

Dooms_Bane
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
same i always do +5 or so over the limit when theres a cop around.. but i break hard if i'm already speeding hahaha

adam c
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

a cop was doing the speed limit and people were staying behind him. I guess he thought it would be funny to slow down, so EVERYONE slowed down.. now we are doing 50. and people still arent passing. So the cop decides to fuck with everyone a bit more.. now we are doing 30 on highway 1. fuck sakes..

lmao.. im laughing at work and people are looking at me

anyways down in the south i always see cops on macleod and people doing 90 in an 80 zone.. they never pull anyone over unless ur going 100 or so

AD_Runner
07-24-2006, 10:17 AM

A little spot opened up for me and I shot thru it and flew past the cop. Engine screaming and everything... he did nothing of course, as soon as I passed, everyone else joined in and basically swallowed up that cop.

Fucking idiot drivers so paranoid. Cops should be handing out tickets for people that go WAY under the limit like some of the paranoid rejects out there.

And we wonder why there are accidents out there! Serious a cop should not do something like that because we have way to many paranoid drivers out there that will go 30 and cause a wreck -- IMO

thesmackdown
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Ya if you get a ticket for going less than 20 over there is some other reason, aka playground zone, school zone stuff like that. Almost all the cops i know wont even waste their time for somebody going 15 over. And for the record they will not, i repeat will not and never should give you a ticket for going upto 12km/h over the limit. That is also how photo radar works. You must be doing 13km/h over the limit in order to get a ticket from one.

Most cops i know hate giving out tickets as to some of them they truly feel bad about it since they just made someone's day/week/month even worse lol. Then again i also know a lot of cops that will pull over younger females for certain reasons.... go figure right.

Skyline_Addict
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
tell ya what... you do that... and i'll watch... i dont go under the limit... i tend to stick to the exact limit, drive with both hands, you know, perfect citizen, till they stop glaring at my riceyness... then they leave me alone and i can go back to "normal"

gogo gangstar lean.

adam c
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
the tickets i recieved... the cops were more then happy to give me the fucking tickets. one was on memorial, i didnt see the sign that said it was 50 from 80. i was going 70 and they lasered me
second was because i had a blue LED exhaust tip on my car. fucking 300 ticket there

vc-kev
07-24-2006, 10:40 AM
blue led exhaust tip.... come on man, keep the tegs rice free

adam c
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM
it just looked different

rc2002
07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I'd be careful about which cops you pass. I passed one going about 5-10km/h over the speed limit and he immediately busted out the cherries. He didn't end up pulling me over though - he just pulled up next to me and yelled something then sped off. Best experience ever.

RiceCake
07-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I tend just to stick at or close to the speed limit when I have a cop tailing me. However, I did get pulled over on macleod for a good 20-30 mins after doing so... Interrogated with questions and then finally getting a ticket for a factory mazdaspeed exhaust on my car...

About RCMP on the highway... Some are pretty cool, but coming back from Golden earlier this year, there was one cop who would not let anyone pass from the Golden to Canmore stretch and he was doing about 65-70 the whole time...:dunno:

calgarys_finest
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
i passed a cop on deerfoot cuz she was going slow as i got beside her i looked over and gave her a head nod. then she started following me to the hockey arena i was going to and got in the same parking lot parked close to me. i thought i was in trouble but it turns out there was a fight the game before and she was there to keep the peace.

the_new_santa1
07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
lol, city cops will not do much...here is what my uncle did in the 80's he drove a camaro, z28 with a blow bigblock, he would wear a little hat like an old guy and his windows where slightly tinted so all you could see was his out line....It was amazing that cops wouldnt pull him over....I will never forget it....

mdeleon
07-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by thesmackdown
Ya if you get a ticket for going less than 20 over there is some other reason, aka playground zone, school zone stuff like that. Almost all the cops i know wont even waste their time for somebody going 15 over. And for the record they will not, i repeat will not and never should give you a ticket for going upto 12km/h over the limit. That is also how photo radar works. You must be doing 13km/h over the limit in order to get a ticket from one.

Most cops i know hate giving out tickets as to some of them they truly feel bad about it since they just made someone's day/week/month even worse lol. Then again i also know a lot of cops that will pull over younger females for certain reasons.... go figure right.

wow i always thought they start fining you once you start goin 10km/h over the limit.

and for the paranoid ones, you can still get a ticket for going too slow, isn't it called obstruction of traffic or something? the only story i ever heard of someone gettin pulled over for going too slow was that one a few months ago when someone was puleld over (going too slow) and they ended up finding like a huge amount of cocaine in the car.

SilverBoost
07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm going to keep my post civil by saying it depends on the cop, his/her mood, the day, the province, what have you... but I will gaurantee you that there is no standard for how one cops stops you vs. another.

Rat Fink
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM

~Leah~
07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I was told when they radar you it leaves a 9% margin of error before you can legally receive a ticket...

50 zone = 55 can get you a ticket
80 zone = 87
100 zone = 109
110 zone = 120

I have a friend who was ticketed at 110 on a 100 highway... and when I first got my lisence I was ticket at 58 in a 50 zone. So this theory seems to be correct, but in the end, like someone said, depends on the cops mood, etc.

90Tegra
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
i just turn in the closest plaza, street etc when there is a cop behind me:(

energieboi
07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
this happened when i drove back from edmonton for almost 45 minutes. rcmp leading in the front right lane and idiot in the left lane would not pass or move out of the passing lane. i saw this because i was 4 cars behind the cop car in the passing lane. after the cop excited off 45 minutes later everyone started speeding and passing the shit out of eachother. morons :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns:

rcmp are alot better and laid down then city cops especially the ones on highway
they dont have any quota to meet or any bouns for writing more tickets so no worries

SilverBoost
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I got a photo radar ticket 2 weeks ago for 61 in a 50 zone.

can throw the 13 km/hr idea out the window

yup, my g/f got an 11 over ticket as well on the cash grab *cough* I mean photoradar.

scat19
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
I can speak for most cops on this. People that usually go like 50 in a 50 right in front of a cop just piss the shit out of them since they are almost always driving towards a call and really could care if you are going 60 or 65 or whatever in a 50.

I lol'd

barbarian
07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Try driving a white regular-size suv near dusk. If the guy behind you doesn't want to pass you, no one will.

racin_jayson
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
God, some people are so spineless, if the cop is going under the speed lmit, then pass them ...doing the speed limit. I always come across rcmp on the highway going 100, so I pass.....it's pretty simple.

dodger97
07-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
^^^ its like a bee... leave it alone and usually it'll fly away to bother someone else

Love that...how true!!!:D

s3v3n
07-24-2006, 11:49 PM

few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. your average speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. this is wrong; it arouses contempt in the cop heart.

Tik-Tok
07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
In my stang, I follow suit. Any other car, I pass the cops doing 5 over, never been pulled over for it yet.

Once on deerfoot, in my trusty rusty yellow pickup I pulled past 2 motorcycle cops doing 120, one of them flashed his lights, put his siren on, but just matched my speed beside me yelling "ITS ONLY 100!" I gave him a confused look and looked down at my speedometer.

I think he thought I was some hick farmer who had never been in Calgary before, lol. Didn't pull me over though, just yelled at me through my window while we were driving.

Barlow
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM

Just throwing this out there, are you 16?

if the cop was impeading traffic why wouldn't you just take the car number down and report it?

Supa Dexta
07-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by s3v3n

few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. your average speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. this is wrong; it arouses contempt in the cop heart.

Pull over to the side? stop you mean, or just get in the slow lane? I was comming back from banff the other day on the bike and was probably going 145 or so.. He was comming in the other direction flashed me, I pulled into the right, and kept on my way... Maybe it would be different in a car, perhaps he thought I may run on a bike.. who knows.. but there was a neon sticking with me, so he could have went for either if he felt for it..

van
07-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 90Tegra
i just turn in the closest plaza, street etc when there is a cop behind me:(

Way to make him think you're a drug dealer. lol gangsTAR.

scat19
07-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Barlow

Just throwing this out there, are you 16?

if the cop was impeading traffic why wouldn't you just take the car number down and report it?

Actually he isn't, but thats beside the point?

Derek actually has a valid point, but you don't. we actually called in a cop the other day, just being a general asshole and not answering our polite questions.

Called the car in, our response?

"Yeah, we've been having problems with a lot of cops as of late, sorry - click"

uh... ok?

DEATH2000
07-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
Try driving a white regular-size suv near dusk. If the guy behind you doesn't want to pass you, no one will. lol. Thats why i want a white crown vic with black steelies.

The funniest was i saw some 20 something guy in an old ex police cruiser, i freaked for a sec cause i saw the lights mounted in the mirrors (ghost car) then i saw the guy and i was like wtf, he probabaly bought it at an auction.

acura_el
07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
i dont care if ppl slow down when there's a cop, i just wish they'd move over and let other traffic actually doing the speed limit pass by

s3v3n
07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Pull over to the side? stop you mean, or just get in the slow lane?
youd have to ask mr thompson ... but since you cant now ... id assume he meant pulling over to the side and stopping.

DannyO
07-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n

youd have to ask mr thompson ... but since you cant now ... id assume he meant pulling over to the side and stopping.

You could always ask his attorney, Dr Gonzo.

s3v3n
07-27-2006, 01:49 PM

You could always ask his attorney, Dr Gonzo.
haha :thumbsup:

you may, however, wanna steer clear of this samoans shaving kit

5t3v3
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
The rule of thumb for me is not to exceed 10kph above speed limit and the cops won't touch you. That applies to 50kph zones as well. Even the play ground zones, I keep it under 40kph and I'm safe.
I don't give a shit if the cop is next to me or right behind me.
I've never gotten a ticket.

It's true that there're so many people who're so spineless and paranoid. Gosh, this is CANADA ... people shouldn't live under fear like that .. sheesh. Damn sheeps.

gp36912
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
whenever i am tailed by a cop, i just do 5 over. while everyone else stays behind the cop, who is doing 5 under the limit. i just pass him and be on my way.

people are so paranoid of the cops :D sometimes a cop pulls up to me while i am waiting for something and we chat for a little till he gets a call and leaves lol

black_radiation
07-28-2006, 10:14 PM
ahaha what are they gonna do give you a ticket for doing the speed limit?

Myers
09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
ive heard there is a 10% margin.. so you can go 5 over in a fifty.... 9 over in ninety.. 3 in 30 etc... works for me

sexualbanana
09-18-2006, 11:15 PM
When I had my Civic, I normally wouldn't pass a cop. Unless they were going under the speed limit of course. But I wasn't going to go above it to pass him. Why? Because my car attracted enough attention as it is, I don't want to attract any extra attention by trying to be a tough guy or anything. I have nothing to prove, I don't have a need to show off how much of a rebel I am by passing a cop. To me, the speed limit is the speed limit. You go over, then you run the chance of being ticketed. Would ticketing a person going 5 over be a waste of time for a police officer? Probably, but you never know. So why push it?

drox
09-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
I tend just to stick at or close to the speed limit when I have a cop tailing me. However, I did get pulled over on macleod for a good 20-30 mins after doing so... Interrogated with questions and then finally getting a ticket for a factory mazdaspeed exhaust on my car...

About RCMP on the highway... Some are pretty cool, but coming back from Golden earlier this year, there was one cop who would not let anyone pass from the Golden to Canmore stretch and he was doing about 65-70 the whole time...:dunno: Thats when being on a motorcycle comes in handy :burnout:

Annoyingrob
09-19-2006, 03:16 AM
I was tailed by a cop for quite a while driving down Macleod. I was doing 70, and he never bothered me. He was just on my ass the whole time, I would assume to run my plates, and to match my speed to see how fast I was going. I honestly thought it was a dumb cab driver trying to get me to go faster.

I've also passed several police cars on the side of the road doing 60 in a 50, 95 in an 80, and they didn't seem to mind.

...then the one time I'm not watching my speed, I pass one doing 80 in a 60. d'oh. I also passed an unmarked police car on the road doing 90 in a 60 with one headlight out when I was younger. He threatened to call my mommy, so I gave him my phone number. He didnt ticket me :dunno: (and no, he didnt call my mommy).

I got a photo radar for doing 63 on a 50 in the mail the other day. Heh, I laughed at that one. Is an $85 ticket really worth it?

drox
09-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Imagine how many 85$ tickets are made in under an hour, from one single photoradar station.

nonsane
09-19-2006, 12:48 PM
so I gave him my phone number. He didnt ticket me :dunno: [/B]

Did he take you dinner or what? ;)

frostyda9
09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by racin_jayson
God, some people are so spineless, if the cop is going under the speed lmit, then pass them ...doing the speed limit. I always come across rcmp on the highway going 100, so I pass.....it's pretty simple.

If you're going to do it, before you cruise past in a glorious blast of moral victory, make sure your registration isn't expired. Ask me how I know :banghead:

Zero102
09-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Just be cool around cops. I don't understand why so many people freak out.
If you start getting really nervous they can tell. If you turn off right away they might be bored enough to follow you to find out why. If you drive 5 under the speed limit they will definately run your plates to see what is up.

Just keep on moving. One time I was driving down 17th avenue, and there was a cop in the right hand lane. He was going 35-40 in a 50 zone, and traffic was really piling up behind him. I was about 20 cars back, so I pulled into the left lane (in my 951) and went by at about 55-57kph. I had the windows down since it was July, and when I drove by he even rolled his window down any yelled 'Nice car!' as I drove by.
No ticket, no freaking out, nothing. Just be cool around cops, that is how they want you to be. They want traffic to keep moving, they don't want the whole road to become a parking lot. The more people do stupid things around them the more reasons they have to be suspicious and make trouble for you.

As for speed I've always used the 10% rule. Keep it within 10% of the speed limit and you will be fine. I've gone through probably 20 radar/laser/whatever speed traps following this rule (quite frequently at 8 or 9% over the speed limit) and never been pulled over for it.

theken
09-20-2006, 01:15 AM
i hate when u line up say on a 3 lane road and a cop is in any lane, and nobody will go until he goes, i have had people sit at a green for like 20 seconds while the cop was playng around with his laptop or whatever, i get so mad.

I had an asshole cop do something that pissed me off sooo much, i have just had my bumper painted and installed, this prick cop is tailling me like really really close, had to be within a foot on glenmore by barlow, so if you know this area there is a shitty double set of train tracks there, so i slow down for these down to about 40/50 cop almost rear ends me. im thinking like what the fuck is this guy doing, no headlights on no sirens nothing, just riding my ass.

anyways, i pull up to the next set of lights (sheppard/ogden road) and the prick pulls into the left turning lane blows past me then cuts me off, shoots fuckin rocks all over the front of my car then fucks off. I followed him close until my turnoff, but i was soooo fuckin mad, i serously wanted to call him in then fuck him up, but hes a cop so i cant fuck him up, and i dont think other cops woul give a shit about my freshly painted bumper and a prick.

Anyways thats my rant about some cocksucker cop.

googe
09-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Most cops know they have rules to go with as well. There are the odd few that will abuse the overhead emergency lights BUT if they get caught the fine is severe from the serjeant. I have seen a couple tickets handed out to constables from their serjeants for misusing equipment.

It does annoy them though that people are paranoid around them. Most officers will generally only give you a speeding ticket if you truly deserve it.

i see cops abuse their lights ALL the time at night.