PDA

View Full Version : BC Driving

DeeK
07-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Got a question regarding liscence plates. Cant find the info I need on google.

I know some provinces require a plate on the front of the car as well. Is BC a front plate required province? Been a LONG time since I have been there. Or better yet, If I'm roadtripping through BC for a day or two, do I require one, or is there a limitation on this for out of provnice drivers?

Or, if anyone has a list of provinces that require both plates... that would be great...

Just a little input would be great.

Thanks.

Nav13
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM
BC is a province that requires a plate on the front. However my family makes a trip out to BC atleast once a year. We have spent as much as 2 weeks there and had no problems with not having the plate on the front. So I am pretty sure it doesnt apply if your visiting from Alberta.

DeeK
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
BC is a province that requires a plate on the front. However my family makes a trip out to BC atleast once a year. We have spent as much as 2 weeks there and had no problems with not having the plate on the front. So I am pretty sure it doesnt apply if your visiting from Alberta.

Perfect, thats exactly what I needed to know, can anyone confirm this?

RiceCake
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
I got pulled over by a check stop in Vancouver and the cop said... "hey you don't have a front plate" I replied we don't need front plate in Alberta, and he let me continue on my way...

:)

shedboy
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
it doesnt apply to visitors, only residents

SilverBoost
07-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Your car follows the rules/requirements of the province it's registered in.

Except of course for possessing radar detectors. :)

me&you
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Your car follows the rules/requirements of the province it's registered in.

Except of course for possessing radar detectors. :)

A radar detector is an electronic enhancement to the vehicle. Very different than the physical characteristics/registration requirments as per jurisdiction.

You don't need a front plate anywhere that requires them for residents if your jurisdiction doesn't. Same goes with mods. If it's OK here, it has to be OK anywhere you go.

SilverBoost
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by me&you

A radar detector is an electronic enhancement to the vehicle. Very different than the physical characteristics/registration requirments as per jurisdiction.

Yeah I know, I was kidding around.

Originally posted by me&you

You don't need a front plate anywhere that requires them for residents if your jurisdiction doesn't. Same goes with mods. If it's OK here, it has to be OK anywhere you go.

Agreed. I went through a "car modification" checkstop in Ontario last year. Would've had a lot of problems if I were a resident there, but the Alberta Plate made it all go away. :) And let me tell you, they don't mess aorund there... they get under the car, look under the hood, the trunk etc....

88CRXGUY
07-28-2006, 10:53 PM
I was born in BC and when I go back every few months there isn't a problem. The only time you may encounter a problem is that if you are living there for more than 3 months and you get caught still with alberta plates and not BC. That being said you will be fine...

When it comes to modifactions though there might be a problem. A friend of mine 2 years ago went back to BC from Alberta and they gave him a ticket for having clear tail lights. These guys are right it is different for every juresdiction..

blainer
07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
most of my family members have been pulled over for speeding atleast once out in invermere, bc. no trouble at all. and not demerits on the speedin tickets, clear just pay the fine to the RCMP n its gone.