PDA

View Full Version : Amp Help plz!!!

92Mx-3
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
hey i just installed a new alpine V12 Amp in my car.. everything works fine it runs and all displaysworking but no bass... i checked all the fuses and wires still nothing.. on the amp it says it isnt getting any amps there is just a "- - -" ??? anyone know if i blew it?

silvercivicsir
07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
rca's pluged in ?

Nix87
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
blown sub?

Crymson
07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
could be problem with the head unit, you may have to "turn on" the rca's via the headunit, the sub level may be set to 0, on the subwoofer output rca's.

92Mx-3
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
yea i hooked up the rca's properly, i mean the amp i took out was working fine.. now when i was hooking up the amp... when bolting down the ground i got about 5 sparks.. could i have blown it that way?? i checked all fuses nothing??

Crymson
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Did you not disconnet the batterly before installing your amp?

I'm pretty sure that is in GIANT letters, usually surrounded by a huge yellow box, on EVERY manual in car stereo history.

you checked the fuses ON the amp or just the fuse on the power supply to the amp?

92Mx-3
07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
nah i didnt... i hate reseting my clocks and shit and my trip odom... i guess the extra couple seconds cost me a new amp :thumbsdow

Crymson
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Don't give up hope.

Double check, pull all the fuses on the amp -- chances are if you blew one, the whole thing would be dead, not just the bass part.

Double the check the fuse at the battery, somtimes they get grimey or dirty and without shining a light through, may appear fine? I would think that if this one was shot, you'd get nothing at all from the amp. It's definately getting power somewhere.

The fact that it turns on and lights up, is a good sign.

If you can get the heatsink off (i don't know v12's) or get the cover off, you should be able to visually (or by smell) tell if you cooked something. Usually when something fails dramatically, there is some smoke.

Dooms_Bane
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
check the fuse that is conneted straight from your car battery
not fuse on your amp
happened to me once.
the positive is connected and the ground..
when you go to take out the positive or put on the positive
your screw driving touches the + and the - on the amp... well it touches the metalic shell which transfers your current i believe...
so it has the same effect as your car batterey.. touching the positive and the negative together.

i did it once.. my fuse near the batterey blew.
my amp was fine

92Mx-3
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
thanks guys i checked it ... nothing is fried.. i tried my friends amp today and it works just fine... my v12 is pooched i think... does anyone know where i could get it repaired??

Graham_A_M
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
ARA automotive accessories. Look them up in the Yellow pages under car stereos & installation.