PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma: Importing from Saskatchewan

Hombre
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Just purchased a new (to me) ride that I'll be picking up in Saskatchewan later this week. My dilemma is that since it's used, I need an OOP inspection before registering it here in Alberta. It's not clear to me how I can drive it back (legally) if it's not registered. :dunno: When I called the registry, they seemed to indicate that I would have to register it temporarily with SGI, which is a pain.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

TIA :thumbsup:

Kobe
07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I know when i went to the states, i had temp insurance from my company, and my registration from my previous car was valid for 30 days aswell...

Just give your insurance a call, and ask for 30 day temp insurance...

Crymson
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
It's not that hard, there are SGI registry agents ALL over the place, so long as you have a phonebook and it's before 5, you'll find one.

However, i'm pretty sure you can get temporary registration here before you leave, provided you've got proof of insurance, and not have to deal with SGI at all.

Hombre
07-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Hmm...insurance is not a problem. But temporary registration, now that's what I'm really interested in. I'll have to give another call to the registry and see if such a thing exists.

Thanks.

Crymson
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
It's just an "in transit permit" you can get them from any Alberta Registry for, probably under 40$, it allows you to go from one place to another, in i think, 5 days. I'm pretty sure both destinations are written on it, or something, because i know there are people on beyond that have gotten pretty hefty fines for trying to drive around town on their in transit permit.

Go to the alberta goverment site and search for intransit permits.

You need insurance though.

natejj
07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok, first take the bill of sale to the registry and i think you can get temporary registration. Then call your insurance, and they will probably offer you temporary insurance for 30 days (thats how long mine is) after 30 days, it expires unless you provide OOP. Not sure about temporary registration, or if it even exists.

Zoom_Zoom
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
You can drive it back with ur old registration u have 14 days to switch it over

xrayvsn
07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
You can get an "In Transit" permit. If you are staying in Alberta, you get a 3 day permit, but in your case you can get the 7 day permit, which is good in any province. You need proof of insurance as well as proof of ownership. It will cost your $24 plus GST, takes about 5 minutes to do - just tell the registry when you plan on getting the car, and they can post date it for your travel time. You will get a piece of paper with sticky tape on one side that you will tack onto the inside right side of your windshield. That's all you need, and will allow you to drive the car back home and to the OOP before getting it properly registered in Alberta.

http://governmentservicesdev.gov.ab.ca/index.cfm?fuseaction=section:drivers:other#IntransitPermits

Good luck, and enjoy your new car!

Edit: The In transit only allows you to drive from point A to point B. The origin and destination are marked on the permit, so don't get caught driving around for fun after you get it where you need it to go. You may want to put the OOP inspection place as your destination instead of your home. I would maybe ask the registry people about that.