PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Error - or "I don't want my lumps"

Khyron
07-24-2006, 11:59 PM
Preface: I read all stickies and am pretty familiar with law.

So I got a non-doubled construction ticket for 220 for doing 17 over, and while everything looks in order, there is a blank apearance day and month, with the year 2006 filled in.

Now, I'm pretty sure that's important as it says to appear downtown before the date specified. Putting on my annoying lawyer hat, my date is 2006, today is 2006, the ticket was issued in 2006, it's impossible to appear before the date of "_______ 2006".

However, I don't want to go down there and have them just smack me and amend the date. At the same time I don't want to not show up and then have to pay even more at the registry when I go to renew my plates.

Suggestions?

Khyron

Tyler883
07-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Haha - too bad you can't appear in front of the judge immediately and have the charges tossed when the cp cant produce any proof.

AzN'SKillZ
07-25-2006, 12:55 AM
ur ticket will be quaoched. that means its cancelled but the officer has the right with in 6 months to re-issue the ticket.

happend too me the cop forgot to check the box that says wich court i need to show up at. and he hasent botherd to come to my house to re-issue it so i got off the hook.

consider urself lucky. im not too sure if u still hav to show up downtown to tell them they made a mistake.

Slashin_
07-25-2006, 01:01 AM
ask traffic cop yo

bacchus
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
You may have something there, let us know.

MudCrawler
07-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
ur ticket will be quaoched. that means its cancelled but the officer has the right with in 6 months to re-issue the ticket.

happend too me the cop forgot to check the box that says wich court i need to show up at. and he hasent botherd to come to my house to re-issue it so i got off the hook.

consider urself lucky. im not too sure if u still hav to show up downtown to tell them they made a mistake.

yep. Mine got quashed as well once, and he didnt re-issue one either.

This will probably be the same case with yours.

Traffic_Cop
07-25-2006, 07:39 PM
The Court will quash it. Basically its in-valid as you have no date to go defend yourself.

Charge can be re-laid within 6 months.

Khyron
07-25-2006, 11:55 PM
K I will head down in 6 months and a few days to have it dealt with then, just in case. Thx!

Khyron

asuth077
07-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
K I will head down in 6 months and a few days to have it dealt with then, just in case. Thx!

Khyron

It is 6 months from the day it is quashed I believe that they can re-lay charges.

Edit* My mistake, that is a sweet break.

BlueGoblin
07-26-2006, 12:07 AM
^ six months from the date of the offence, not the quashing

rage2
07-26-2006, 12:10 AM
You don't have to do anything. It'll automatically get tossed out. Or if you want to verify, go down there to pay they'll throw it right out. Since the cop's not there, they won't reissue you a new ticket, or fix the ticket. No powers to do that.

7thgenvic
07-26-2006, 03:17 AM
rage is right.....Same thing happened with me. The cop will look at the ticket l8ter and know he fucked up...when it gets sent in. They will quash the ticket..You lucky bastard

Safety Crew
07-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Preface: I read all stickies and am pretty familiar with law.

So I got a non-doubled construction ticket for 220 for doing 17 over, and while everything looks in order, there is a blank apearance day and month, with the year 2006 filled in.

Now, I'm pretty sure that's important as it says to appear downtown before the date specified. Putting on my annoying lawyer hat, my date is 2006, today is 2006, the ticket was issued in 2006, it's impossible to appear before the date of "_______ 2006".

However, I don't want to go down there and have them just smack me and amend the date. At the same time I don't want to not show up and then have to pay even more at the registry when I go to renew my plates.

Suggestions?

Khyron It won't take much for him to recall which day and month he wrote you the fine. The ticket is numbered in sequence, all he would have to do is go through the other ones close to your number and he will get the date.. unless he forgot the date on all of them.

DayGlow
07-26-2006, 08:06 AM
No, the actual ticket will be sent back to the cop with the mistake hilighted. At that point they can decide if they wish to re-issue a new summons.

Khyron
07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
And would that have to be served (ie, he comes to my house, not likely), or could they just mail it? If it was you, would you bother?

Khyron

DayGlow
07-26-2006, 09:45 AM
totally depends on the circumstances of the offence.

If you live in the area that I work, then easiest would to be reissue a ticket in person. If you live somewhere else, I can make an application for a long-form summons, which is served to you by any police officer.

AzN'SKillZ
07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
And would that have to be served (ie, he comes to my house, not likely), or could they just mail it? If it was you, would you bother?

Khyron

if the charges were to be re-issue the officer must come to ur house and personaly hand u the ticket. not to sure if he could get another officer to do it for him:dunno:

i no that they hav to come in person because wen i went downtown to the court and found out my ticket was quashed i asked and made sure that he couldent just re-issue the ticket by sending it throu mail.

Tyler883
07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
according to the Alberta Highway Traffic Safety Act,

service can be made by mail, and it doesn't even have to be registered mail. Most courts don't allow this, but alberta does.

geez, after all my rants, I thought this was well known on beyond forums

912R
08-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I got a ticket and the officer didn't write in my postal code (it's on my D/L...). Is something that minor enough to get a ticket rejected? i.e. do they have to "fill in completely"??

Khyron
08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Pretty sure name spellings, make/model errors and address errors are not fatal.

So far, no knocks on the door...

Khyron

912R
08-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Poop. I guess I will have to go down and see if I can get my hefty fine reduced (stupid Stoney Trail and the stupid "let's drop it from 80 to 50" zone. Stupid me for not looking at the signs).