PDA

View Full Version : is there any way to turn up idle speed?

EstoMax
04-14-2003, 11:40 PM
i wanna turn up the idle speed on my moms subaru like 50-100 rpm cause sometimes when sitting at the light the rpm drops like slightly below 750 and it feels like a massage machine kinda.. so i wanna turn it up a 50 and then another 50 if it dont go away

max

littledan
04-15-2003, 12:46 AM
i believe you just have to adjust the tension on your throttle cable... i'm sure it's easy to do hopefully someone has some more info..

Corrado1.8T
04-15-2003, 06:36 AM
what year subaru? there is a idle adjustment screw on the throttle body on some subarus. don't adjust the throttle cable. that keeps the butterfly in the throttle body itself open. which would give you shitte gas milage, cause your car thinks your on the gas all the time.

easy, chris.

edit: maybe theres another reason why the car is idleing like shit. what state of repair is the car. tune up?

4wheeldrift
04-15-2003, 06:45 AM
My RS idles at 500 rpm and is glass smooth. I'm not sure why yours would be idling so much higher and rougher.

kenny
04-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Perhaps you could take it to a dealer to take a look at since it is still a relatively new car?

yohan4ws
04-15-2003, 08:31 AM
check your timing?

EstoMax
04-15-2003, 11:06 AM
timing? what would that havta do with it.. whats timing do?
max

tulit
04-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Check for vacumm leaks. Mine did the same thing for the longest time. The idle would hunt and sometimes feel like its on the verge of stalling when it dipped.

I had a cracked hose going to the cruise control.......

If you really want to adjust the idle speed though, your best bet is to use the Subaru Select Monitor @the dealer. I dont know of any adjustment screw on the throttle body (at least on the newer subarus). Adjusting throttle cable would be ghetto but the easiest/cheapest ;)

wontonjohnny
04-15-2003, 11:28 AM
probably fuel injectors... try cleaning them

EstoMax
04-15-2003, 01:01 PM
how would i go about doin that?

max

wontonjohnny
04-15-2003, 01:51 PM
you could first try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, can be bought at any automotive store for a few bucks

if that doesnt help they you could try bringing your car into a shop and ask them to do a fuel injector cleaning, it also totally decarbons your engine but cost more ... i think like 80 bucks

bol
04-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by tulit
Check for vacumm leaks. Mine did the same thing for the longest time. The idle would hunt and sometimes feel like its on the verge of stalling when it dipped.

:werd:

a vacuum leak will effect the idle greatly

there are too many things that could effect the idle, (IATC, MAF, O2 sensor, etc etc) to just say 'I want to raise the idle'. It's dropping for a reason. That being said, there is usually an throttle stop screw in the throttle body to control the most the TB can close.

Hollywood
04-15-2003, 03:26 PM
I'd say timing, vacum leak it could also be a bad ground but I'd look the first 2 first. If it's the maf the car would run totally shitty. The maf either works or does'nt. And your O2 sensor is not operating at idle either so that's not it. Skip the injector stuff too.

If your car's recommended idle is 500 get it working at 500.

EstoMax
04-16-2003, 05:23 PM
err.. where do i find out the recommended idle? the idle bar STARTS at 500.. so i dobut thats it.. it has always idled about 650-800 between tehre.. but when it idles around 650 i can feel the car shake (like at a stop light)

max

btw.. how do i check for vacuum leaks