PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV Subscription From Canada

Celica TVS3
07-25-2006, 07:13 PM
My recent TelusTV 3 month trial is expiring this month and I'm looking at options for TV service.

I used to program my own DirecTV cards / DishNet Atmega when that was legal but it is no longer legal and no longer effective.

I don't have a US address to subscribe to DirecTV but does anyone know anybody in the city that offers a way for me to get DirecTV in Calgary?

Also, if I were to get DirecTV in Canada would I be able to use the Tivo service or is there problems with it calling out from a Canadian number?

Thanks.

beecue
07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

rage2
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
U wont' be able to call DirecTV to activate service from Canada. Also, it's illegal (again) to sub to US services. Thank Bell and CRTC for that one.

They verify that you are a US resident. Which means you'll need a US phone number, US SSN, US credit card. It's not easy.

Celica TVS3
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Eh, I hoped it would have been as easy as having US address forward mail to a Canadian mail box.

You seem to be the TV guru around here. What Canadian provider do you think is offering the best service/quality/price? I would like a DVR and have component outputs on my reciver so I can conect directly to my HT projector. It doesn't neccecarly have to be HD because my projector is only 480p.

Thanks for the help!

rage2
07-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Bell ExpressVu with 9200 HDPVR or the non HDPVR (cant remember model #). That's what I'm using at home.

Don't worry about component outs on non HD... you're not going to see a difference.

Celica TVS3
07-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2
...Don't worry about component outs on non HD... you're not going to see a difference.

I've only run composite and compnent from the equipment room to the projector. You don't think there would be a visable quality difference when the image is almost 7 feet wide? I had assumed any quality difference would be more visable given the size. But you know way more aobut this than me - if you say there is is no visable difference I'll go with composite.

rage2
07-26-2006, 10:13 AM
There's no visible difference at that low of a resolution, even with a 7ft wide screen.

funkedelic
07-26-2006, 10:44 AM
go dish network, i bought it at sears in montana then i activated here in canada with canadian credit card and address :thumbsup:

dsmturbo
07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic
go dish network, i bought it at sears in montana then i activated here in canada with canadian credit card and address :thumbsup:

Well, good luck with that, you really like living on the Edge

rage2
07-26-2006, 11:15 AM

Interesting post, and I call BS. Try calling the dish network phone number from Canada, it doesn't work. Even a US cell phone on Canada cell towers won't work.

Their new customer # is 1-888-825-2557. Try it if you don't believe me.

If you're in the states in Montana, call the number to activate, they won't do anything without a US SSN. You have to pass a credit check to get service. The SSN requirement is on the box of every Dish network receiver you buy (either that or the activation instruction sheet).

funkedelic
07-26-2006, 12:13 PM
ahh newbs:rolleyes:

just kiddin dont ban me
here the sheet you dont need to call any one just fax this and it will be up and running in about a day

(image removed)

funkedelic
07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
if you want to see my billing statment to let me know

ps im going to great falls in about in the next day or two if anybody wants a dish i can hook you up!

you call bs? jaja dude howcome every latino i know in calgary and herehave dish, do you know what would happen if we didnt watch our telenovelas we would go postal on everyone ass

funkedelic
07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by dsmturbo

Well, good luck with that, you really like living on the Edge

just to clear some things up this is 100% legal NOT ILLEGAL!

as long as you have money on your credit card and always make the payment they wont harrass you but if dont make the payment they will cut off the signal. i get the statment to my door they know im living in canada.

rage2
07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
just to clear some things up this is 100% legal NOT ILLEGAL!

as long as you have money on your credit card and always make the payment they wont harrass you but if dont make the payment they will cut off the signal. i get the statment to my door they know im living in canada.
I removed your image because it lists the 3rd party broker service to activate a subscription.

Anyhow we're talking about direct subscription. Everyone knows they can get activated through a broker, there are local brokers in town that'll do the same thing too. In any case, both methods are illegal. Again, blame Bell and CRTC!

Hey if you think it's legal, talk to the brokers in Toronto that got sued last year and ask them the same question! :D

funkedelic
07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
i dunno but my broker told me it was very legal, but whatever just tryin to help people who want u.s.a. channels;)

rage2
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Yea, my drug dealer told me weed is legal too :rofl:.

Seriously though, it's been an on and off thing. A few months it's legal, a few months it's not. It's tied up in the court systems.

bobobob
02-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

tha_bandit
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3

I used to program my own DirecTV cards / DishNet Atmega when that was legal but it is no longer legal and no longer effective.

Stealing a sub was never legal...and the ppl who get dish so easily as funkedelic says, prob use some IKS bs.

RickDaTuner
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
I was actually just in texas, and had ordered D-TV, They have a pretty awesome deal.

320gb PVR HD receiver, all the normal channels over 500+ and cinemax/hbo.. all that jazz for $59 a month, free installation and a 0 cost for the HD PVR wich is yours to keep and you cancel at any time

Zephyr
02-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I was actually just in texas, and had ordered D-TV, They have a pretty awesome deal.

320gb PVR HD receiver, all the normal channels over 500+ and cinemax/hbo.. all that jazz for $59 a month, free installation and a 0 cost for the HD PVR wich is yours to keep and you cancel at any time

That doesn't sound like a DirectTV package.. either the sales guy lied (they are known for that) to you or it isn't DirectTV. The boxes you will never own, even if you buy from Best Buy, you still pay a fee, even if they wave it, it's never "yours". Plus their prices go up after a year, price only good for a year. I have DirectTV, worst customer service and prices...still waiting to get out of my contract.

lloyd59
05-05-2010, 08:38 AM
i used to do some testing for directv before, and after a while of no news i decided to check back one of the best sites i visited for the hobby and found out they were offering directv subscriptions for canadian residents... so i did not doubt to test it out.

they offer directv subscriptions for canadians with the total choice premier package .. includes hbo, cinemax, starz, showtime, encore.. and i could add one of the extra packages they offer (mlb, nhl, nba, nfl, playboy).. i chose playboy myself

i had to buy a new receiver, because only new receivers with an ID work... but it was worth .. it came in box new withe the access card i need, remote, cables and manuals. i chose the H23 , which is an HD receiver so i also needed to get the slimeline 3 dish setup for satellites 99,101,103 .. i used only to get the 101 satellite for std def but HD is worth it.

in total i get around 285 channels, and 200 in hd version!! no ppv support, but i can get quality programming.. im paying $450 a year but they have plans for 3 and 6 months subs too.. you can renew.

i got my order shipped next day my payment was confirmed and delivered within 3-4 business days... took me a couple of days installing the dish setup and after that i got receiver activated same day i reported i was ready for signal to be sent..

this service is being offered by ******** which is ran by mili.. people in the hobby must know who im talking about

spike98
05-05-2010, 08:52 AM
^^ This is also illegal.

There are two ways they are doing this....

1. Subcribing an account in the US and sending you the legit equipment and access card.

2. IKS using a FTA receiver you are sharing the keys from a legit card (subscribed).

lloyd59
05-05-2010, 08:07 PM
This is no IKS, there is no internet connection required at all. Whatever they are doing to get this service to me is what I car least about, service works perfectly as a legit sub.. the friend that referred me has been runnin for the past 6 months with 0 downtime.

Compared to what I can get here, this is cheaper and better.

Illegal? Jaywalking is a crime too, more serious than watching TV. Someone could get hurt of doing so and I bet you've broke that law many times.

rage2
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by lloyd59
Illegal? Jaywalking is a crime too, more serious than watching TV. Someone could get hurt of doing so and I bet you've broke that law many times.
Except that jaywalking is not a criminal offense, while subscribing to US Satellite is, and there has been cases where people have been charged and convicted.

I don't agree with it, but your comparison is apples to oranges.

lloyd59
05-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Not one single person has ever been fined for subscribing to DTV in Canada. If you say otherwise you must be lying or working for the creeps at Bell to spread nonsense.

An apple is to orange, what bell is to dtv. not even in the same orchard.

rage2
05-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by lloyd59
Not one single person has ever been fined for subscribing to DTV in Canada. If you say otherwise you must be lying or working for the creeps at Bell to spread nonsense.
It may not be a typical end user, but there have been people charged and convicted with simply subscribing to US DTH services... from coders to guys facilitating subs, they charged them with subbing because it was easy, open and shut case. I used to be one of the biggest hackers/coders in the nagra scene, so yea, I knew everything that was going down.

thetransporter
05-06-2010, 12:15 PM
why just subscribe to bellexpresvu? you dont get VENUS quality channels on DTV/dishnet/shaw/starchoice/telus

95teetee
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I used to be one of the biggest hackers/coders in the nagra scene, so yea, I knew everything that was going down. it's funny- back when I was running an emulator to get DTV (those days were great-Dave would knock us down Friday morning, and when I got home from work I would load the new file onto the floppy disc, reboot the emu computer and be perfect for another full week) a co-worker got a subscription. He told me he was doing it the legal way. I told him "actually, you're the one breaking the law."