PDA

View Full Version : beyond guitarists jam session

Pages : [1] 2

rage2
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, everyones been talking about it for a while now... so let's do it.

First off, what works for everyone? Weekday evenings? Weekend days? Nights?

How about what location? I can host a few ppl at my house if you don't mind dog hair, and I have a pretty loud home theater setup that works decent. Just bring mp3's or CDs to jam to (unless there's a drummer and a bassist that wants to join in lol). I've got 2 good sized amps that can easily overpower the music, so if you're not picky you can just bring your guitar(s). I'm up deep in the NW, so that might not be conveinent for everyone.

Date: Saturday, August 19th, 2006
Time: 5pm - whenever...
Location: My house (PM me for instructions and my phone number)
What to bring: As much gear as you want. I have 2 amps if you don't want to haul your amp there. Bring mp3's of stuff you play on a CD-Rom.

Current Peeps:
B16EM1
b_t
stevieo
finboy
rotten42
infected
modded46 - drummer
three.eighteen.

Darkane
07-26-2006, 09:07 PM
do you have a drum kit? lol I'd be down for something like this perhaps :)

b_t
07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
I'm definitely down but its hard to find time on weeknights with working night shifts from 6pm-4:30am ha

rage2
07-27-2006, 07:47 AM
haha no drum kit, and ya, I guess bringing drums over would be a bitch! lol.

We could always do weekend ones.

Lex350
08-07-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd be up for a Jam session some time. I could probably bring a drummer as well.

rage2
08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Well lets get on it... I'm good to go anyday. How about this saturday? Who's in?

Lex350
08-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Well lets get on it... I'm good to go anyday. How about this saturday? Who's in?

I'm in BC this weekend.

What kind of stuff do you play?

legendboy
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
i could probably drum if you guys need also, schedule permeting

rage2
08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
GnR, AC/DC, Black Sabbath... stuff like that.

Hollywood
08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Dude, I will play with you, all my shit is at Legendboys and we havnt played in a while. But you've jammed with me before and I dont know any cover songs really especially acdc,gnr etc... haha.

rage2
08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Well it's time to learn! I've been spending a few hrs a night learning new songs and techniques. Playing your own material only gets u so far before you need to learn all the tricks out there. Then apply that to your own music!

glennc
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Im up for it. I cant play an instrument, but I could play washboard :P

Lex350
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
GnR, AC/DC, Black Sabbath... stuff like that.

good enough for me.

Toms-SC
08-08-2006, 07:29 PM
You smell that Rabit?

kerry
08-10-2006, 01:43 AM
I'll come.

BebeAphrodite
08-10-2006, 02:02 AM
MMm.. can we volunteer others to jam?

rage2
08-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Saturday, August 19th at my place. Is everyone OK with that date? That's in a week and a half.

kerry
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm good.

TEAMFaint
08-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Too bad I wasn't up in Calgary that day, could show you guys some mad bass skills. Flea style! :bigpimp:

b_t
08-10-2006, 05:45 PM
If I am free that day I think I'll come,but I dunno what my schedule is like then.

Kona9
08-10-2006, 06:00 PM
turbojohnGT is pretty damn good. I will call him and make him aware of this.

kerry
08-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I sux0r
But I wanna hang out with Rage hahahahaha
Maybe I can steal his car...

rage2
08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
u suck? please... if you suck, then I can't even play at all.

stevieo
08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
is it possible fo rpeople (Aka ME) to just drop by and watch you guys jam for a bit? I can play okay, its just that I have trouble strumming, so thats whta I need help with.

rage2
08-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Well we're all there to learn, and honestly, I rate my skill right now at a 4/10, so don't feel embarassed if u can't play something. End of the day, you'll probably learn something from everyone. I'm still learning how to uppick smoothly... I'm getting away with it right now by downpicking fast and using a lot of hammer ons and pull offs lol. Eventually I'll have to get over that hurdle... then off to learn using my pinky!

Updated first post with more info and list of ppl coming. If you want off the list, or want added on please let me know. I need to know how many ppl will be showing up so I know if we'll be doing this in my living room or if I need to setup my basement. Plus I need enough beer right? lol

finboy
08-11-2006, 02:39 PM
i'm totally down, i suck but i'll swing by with a couple guitars and i REALLY want to test out this orange rocker30 head that i got, bought the thing months ago and haven't even plugged it in :(

btw, my skill level is probably at about 1/10 so i'm sure eeeeveryone will be better then me, should be fun either way.

Lex350
08-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Saturday, August 19th at my place. Is everyone OK with that date? That's in a week and a half.

I might be able to make that. I'm not far away either (Rocky Ridge) If I can make it, I'll PM you for the address.

infected
08-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Everyone is saying they're not "good" but I have a feeling if I show up I'll just get owned. Relative to your ratings I'm probably a -7/10.
Will this be a guitar only session? Any bass or drum guys gonna show?
I haven't played in a while but I can fill in for drummer if we can find a way to move a set of drums over. I sure as hell can't move mine unless I drop the top and throw everything into the Stang but I think parts and pieces will start to fly out once I leave my block. However I could haul over the PA if anyone decides they'd like to sing, it should be good enough for a basement.

Boost Infested
08-11-2006, 07:43 PM
http://members.aol.com/beyond333/newmainb.jpg

Amani Nakupenda
Nakupenda we we
Tunataka we WE! :clap: :thumbsup:

rage2
08-11-2006, 08:55 PM
haha I can play Amani. One of the few acoustic sections I know.

b_t
08-11-2006, 08:57 PM
hmm thing is I never play with music, I just learn the riffs from a song I want and then off I go .. so I guess I'll just freak out when everybody starts listening to me, and mess up :D

rage2
08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey, if we were perfect we'd all be rock stars right? :rofl:

I used to fear playing with others too cuz I sucked so bad. But it's fun even if you suck, everybody eventually gets better. Then we can start our own beyond band lol.

infected
08-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Does the Beyond band play Beyond? haha
Count me in for now on Saturday.

kerry
08-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I'll bring my 4x12 Line 6 =)

And what kinda beer should I bring Rage?

Oh I'll also probably bring 2 guitars just in case.....

b_t
08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
dude I totally gotta try your Line 6 out

I've been looking for a head/cab package deal and was looking at a lot of Mesa stuff but if I could ditch my stompbox and just get a Line 6 instead, that'd be pimp too

the problem with my little Fender combo is the 7 string is just tooo low, especially when its tuned to G or A like it usually is... it sounds AWFUL

rage2
08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I've never played on a real amp... so it'll be nice to try! I hope my stereo is loud enough haha.

modded46
08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Did you guys still need a drummer? I can bring my kit no biggy.. I also play guitar but not very well. :)

modded46
08-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I just like down the road from yah if you're in Arbour Lake so would be cool.. I'm over near Rocky Ridge.. PM if you're interested with details...

kerry
08-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Well I have one guitar tuned to Bb and it's fine at fairly loud
volumes. I mean you won't really ever have it turned up
past half because if you're using a p.a. playing live you can't
have your amp that loud due to feedback/poor mixing qual.

It's a sweet amp especially for the price.

Lex350
08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
rage....I might be able to get a buddy of mine to come play drums that night if you don't mind two 40 year old farts coming to play. I have an old bass I could bring over too.

Lex350
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by B16EM1
I'll bring my 4x12 Line 6 =)

And what kinda beer should I bring Rage?

Oh I'll also probably bring 2 guitars just in case.....

nice...I used to have a Marshall but it just wasn't flexible enough so I got a ine6 Flextone Plus. It's the only non-tube amp I've ever liked for it's dirty sound.

rage2
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Yep, we could definately make a good session out of it with drums and bass.

I'm gonna figure out the logistics tomorrow after work and send everyone an email with my # and address.

There's a lot of ppl coming, so it'd be nice to have it in my basement. I just have to get a LOT of extension cords tho because turns out my basement only has 1 power jack lol.

I dont think we have enough room in my living room especially with drummers showing up. Which means I don't have a big enough stereo in the basement if we want to play mp3's to jam to. Which means we're all just gonna play random stuff I guess? haha.

Lex350
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Yep, we could definately make a good session out of it with drums and bass.

I'm gonna figure out the logistics tomorrow after work and send everyone an email with my # and address.

There's a lot of ppl coming, so it'd be nice to have it in my basement. I just have to get a LOT of extension cords tho because turns out my basement only has 1 power jack lol.

I dont think we have enough room in my living room especially with drummers showing up. Which means I don't have a big enough stereo in the basement if we want to play mp3's to jam to. Which means we're all just gonna play random stuff I guess? haha.

I'm not sure if he can make it for sure...I just wanted to check first.

rage2
08-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Well we'll figure it out as ppl arrive. Actually if I move shit around, I can have a lot of ppl in living room + dining room, since I don't really have a dining table lol. Just a big ass pool table in the way, but we can work around that quite easy haha.

finboy
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
i might be out, tranny is slipping on the car :thumbsdow

i'll have a definate answer by friday, god i hate my car :banghead:

Lex350
08-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by finboy
i might be out, tranny is slipping on the car :thumbsdow

i'll have a definate answer by friday, god i hate my car :banghead:

you think you have problems...the engine blew in my car last Thursday!

b_t
08-16-2006, 11:14 PM
ahaha yes

soo uhh what kind of music does everybody here play? I'll feel out of place if I'm the only one playing thrash metal ahaha

I've been playing a lot of lamb of god, opeth, led zeppelin, eric clapton (only layla tho) and jimi hendrix lately.. and if I brought all my tabs with me I could probably remember other songs I've learned by van halen and that..

rage2
08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I'd like to learn thrash metal stuff. I'm actually looking into different styles of music... punk is next. I mean if you can show me the chords, I'm sure it can be learned in a few mins.

b_t
08-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Chords? Hmm... well, tune drop D, then play a bar chord across the bottom three strings. root-5th-octave = ultimate thrash chord. Tuning drop D means a power chord is just a bar too, and then you have the staple of the genre.

I can show you a bunch of stuff on Saturday.. probably the song I am best at and would have the easiest time teaching is either Ashes of the Wake or 11th Hour by Lamb of God, or for something a bit more technical, I know the intro to Ghost of Perdition by Opeth which is kinda more goth metal/black metal/gothencore whatever the hell the metal scene feels like callign it

Or if you want to go old school, I know Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth which coincedentally is a mega easy song aside from the solo and chorus I have long since forgot, and I could touch up on Seek and Destroy by Metallica if I can find the tabs :D

kerry
08-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Then you can rock the 5th mode of A Harmonic Minor and play
some Yngwie-inspired riffs like in any metal solo nowadays.

Go E Phrygian Dominant!!!!!

Then throw in some root-minor3rd-diminished5th-octave
arps moving up the neck a minor 3rd each time!!!

Then my friend Rage, you'll be a metal god. :nut: :nut: :nut:

infected
08-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone have ANY idea what these guys are talking about??
Having second thoughts on showing up... haha.

three.eighteen.
08-17-2006, 06:36 AM
i can bring my marshall jcm 2k and my strat and les paul...i can def show you how to play punk

rage2
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by b_t
Or if you want to go old school, I know Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth which coincedentally is a mega easy song aside from the solo and chorus I have long since forgot, and I could touch up on Seek and Destroy by Metallica if I can find the tabs :D
I can play Seek and Destroy. That one's pretty easy, I learned it on standard tuning. Didn't know metallica used different tuning for the song (or were u just referring to the previous stuff?)

rage2
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by infected
Is it just me, or does anyone have ANY idea what these guys are talking about??
Having second thoughts on showing up... haha.
I got lost after Drop D tuning :rofl:.

B16EM1 is a theory whore. He was talking theory when he was at my place a month or 2 back, and I had no clue WTF he was talking about.

modded46
08-17-2006, 08:39 AM
I think it should be something where we come and just jam out.. I wouldn't worry about having a stereo there, everyone is going to bring the songs that they know to the table and go from there.

Does anyone know if a drum kit is being brought or not? I can bring mine to play but if there's already one there then i'm going to save the effort. :P

rage2
08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by modded46
I think it should be something where we come and just jam out.. I wouldn't worry about having a stereo there, everyone is going to bring the songs that they know to the table and go from there.

Does anyone know if a drum kit is being brought or not? I can bring mine to play but if there's already one there then i'm going to save the effort. :P
I agree. I'll get enough extension chords for the basement.

Looks like you're the only confirmed drummer. All we need is a bass player now!

I updated the first post, and will be sending out my address, direction and phone # to those ppl on the list. If you wanna come and not on the list, please post here or PM me!

stevieo
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I might be out of town this weekend, but if I'm still here I'd still like to drop by and see how you guys play, pick up a few pointers and go home and practice.

so if you don't mind rage, could you still plz pm me the info.

edit: id really like to check it out though, see how the heavy metal works and such. i'm more into punk music. haha.

b_t
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM

I can play Seek and Destroy. That one's pretty easy, I learned it on standard tuning. Didn't know metallica used different tuning for the song (or were u just referring to the previous stuff?)

Metallica usually plays in standard tuning, Megadeth does too, but the other stuff usually is drop D... Opeth is D-A-D-F-A-D which is a crazy tuning

modded46
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Drop D sounds bad ass.. Tool uses a lot of Drop D and Queens of the stone age uses a two tone drop, so you would actually drop your bottom E to a C and so on.. sounds pretty bad ass.. C F Bb Eb G C

BASSists!! Where are you???!?!?!

b_t
08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
I kinda want to learn that Little Sister song but a lot of songs with weird tunings I just don't bother... such a pain tuning to anything other then a drop tuning by ear...

I know the intro to White Summer/Black Mountainside but the rest is all in a dorian tuning I think so it sounds awful unless you spend 5 minutes re-tuning just for that one song :D

three.eighteen.
08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Metallica usually plays in standard tuning, Megadeth does too, but the other stuff usually is drop D... Opeth is D-A-D-F-A-D which is a crazy tuning

metallica recorded earlier in standard tuning, but they play pretty much all their songs a half step down live, probably because its easier for hetfield to growl and Eb sounds a little darker

Lex350
08-17-2006, 05:31 PM
rage...I'm good to go. I got the hall-way pass from the wife. My drummer friend hasn't gotten back to me. I'll bring my beater bass with me too. Let me now where.

Seanith
08-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I would have liked to come watch but have prior commitments since i just found out about it now. I've only been playing a couple months so i can only play power chords lol... i listen to a lot of punk rock.

three.eighteen.
08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
so do we still need a bass? i have a short scale bass (may not sound perfect in a jam situation) and a decent amp

Lex350
08-17-2006, 06:24 PM
well...Im bring my bass. It;'s a conversted fretless. I don;t have an amp for this. I really don;t want to put it through my line6 guitar amp

kerry
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm hardly a theory whore, :poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

On a side note my fucking amp is done.
I blew one of the outputs, so I have a mono amp. All 75w.

So I guess I'm bringin my pod now.

rage2
08-17-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a pod XT Live. You should send me some of your tones ;).

Hey theory whore, :rofl: can you teach me the fast solo part of Sweet Child o' mine? that's basically the last piece I need to learn... I think I need to learn and remember scales to get that part right. I know the rhythm and the main solo part, just a bit lost when slash changes to the bridge pickup and starts using the wah wah, I was told it's simple scales.

I guess I could just play the rhythm part if someone knows how to play lead haha.

kerry
08-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I'll teach you it, if you change my "gear" to theory whore.
Then I can get alllllll the recognition for my many many
wasted hours playing guitar hahahahhaahhah.

But seriously, I'll try to learn it for Sat and show you.

rage2
08-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Sweet, this is the section I'm having probs with:

|---------|--------------7-8p7--11p7-8-11-12/14-11-12-|-14/15-12-14-15p14-12----
|---------|--7^---7-10^-------------------------------|-------------------------
|---8---9-|-----9-------------------------------------|-------------------------
|---------|-------------------------------------------|-------------------------
|---------|-------------------------------------------|-------------------------

----14p11--12h14p12------17-----|
-15------------------15-----15^-|
--------------------------------|
http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/g/guns_n_roses/sweet_child_o_mine-tab.shtml

I'm having problems in other sections, but I play it a bit different and it sounds alright when I record myself haha.

kerry
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rage2
08-18-2006, 10:29 AM
I've PM'd everyone on the list, if I missed you, please PM me.

modded46
08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a small bass amp if we REALLY need one but i'm going to be pretty full with my kit so not sure how much room i'm going to have left. hehehe I haven't travelled with the kit yet.

rage2
08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I've got someone covered for bass. Well the equipment... he's had it for a while and hasn't really played at all hehe. I could take a stab at bass.

modded46
08-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Bass is easy. :P pluck pluck pluck.. pluck some more.

:nut:

modded46
08-18-2006, 10:36 AM
What's your name btw?? :) I'm Terry

rage2
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
rage2 lol. You'll know once u show up haha.

modded46
08-18-2006, 11:24 AM
OH SNAP! :P This isn't like a rendition of The Most Dangerous Game is it? :burnout:

Lex350
08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I don't mind playing some bass either.

finboy
08-18-2006, 06:19 PM
i'll be there regardless if my car makes it or not, i haven't played with another guitarist in like 10 years so it should be interesting, lol.

btw rage, mind if i try out that pod? i heard they weren't great then i saw the guitarists from garbage using them religiously, they sounded amazing.

b_t
08-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by modded46
What's your name btw?? :) I'm Terry

if you type rage2's name in on beyond, it ends up as "..." :D The only censored word on the entire forum ahaha

kerry
08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Hahaha he's tryin to be sneaky, but you'll learn rage2
is just as much of a geek as the rest of us!!!

Pod's XT live is Tight, I used it at Rage's and was
going to buy one, but instead got the Amp.

finboy
08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by b_t

if you type rage2's name in on beyond, it ends up as "..." :D The only censored word on the entire forum ahaha

not true, albertacars.net might still be censored

edit: guess not anymore, lol

kerry
08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Bahahah...

Lex350
08-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Hahaha he's tryin to be sneaky, but you'll learn rage2
is just as much of a geek as the rest of us!!!

Pod's XT live is Tight, I used it at Rage's and was
going to buy one, but instead got the Amp.

I have the guitar port at home that I use through my computer. Any of you ever try the Line 6 Riff Tracker? It's sweet!...and easy to use.

stevieo
08-19-2006, 12:34 PM
thanks for the pm rage, but unfortnately I am unable to make it tonight, family plans moved from sunday to saturday night.

have fun everyone

maybe someone should record it/

rage2
08-19-2006, 01:31 PM
We'll probably record bits and pieces of it if anything good comes out of it haha.

Lex350
08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
It looks like I'm out too. I just had a computer crash on my render and lost a days work on my project. (due Monday) Sometimes 3D studio is a real pain in the ass!:thumbsdow

kerry
08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Damn... who else is still coming?!?!?!!?!??

I'm bringing my Pod 2.0 but not my XT.

XT is ran through a mixer with my M-Audio Keystation49
and I don't feel like unwiring it.

b_t
08-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm still coming, just about to go practice a bit, then wash my car and head out. Should get there around 5:30-5:45ish

rage2
08-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Still a lot of ppl coming. If u guys wanna come early, I just got home.

finboy
08-19-2006, 04:02 PM
i'll head out from here in like an hour, just have to throw the guitars in the car and grab beer, anyone have earplugs? :dunno:

rage2
08-19-2006, 04:17 PM
earplugs are for the weak! :rofl:

kerry
08-19-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm on my way mofo's

b_t
08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm on my way mofo's

ditto

the carwash can wait ahaha

b_t
08-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I just want to be the first to say I totally had my mind blown tonight. Everybody else has to wait for the videos of some of the craziest shit I've ever personally witnessed :D

BerserkerCatSplat
08-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Sounds like it was a good time! Post up them vids...

rage2
08-20-2006, 08:11 AM
haha what an amazing meet. 2 good videos game from it, very fitting for a car forum and guitar players :rofl:.

B16EM1 is a god.

"Every guitarist out there sucks, it's all bullshit. The only good ones are me, Steve Vai, and Buckethead." - B16EM1

:rofl:

I've officially downgraded my 4/10 rating to a 1/10 haha.

rage2
08-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Video #1 - How to make a guitar sound like a F1 car:

http://www.beyond.ca/f1guitar.wmv

Lex350
08-20-2006, 08:53 AM
sounds like a good time....sorry I missed it.

rage2
08-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Video #2 - Jamming with B16EM1 and three.eighteen.:

http://www.beyond.ca/jam1.wmv