PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - July 26, 2006: Following Too Close

skidmark
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Following Too Closely

Do you follow the "two second" rule? Pick a point that the vehicle in front of you passes, and count the number of seconds it takes you to reach that point. If it is less than two seconds, you are following too closely.

If you are pulling a trailer or carrying a heavy load, increase the time to three seconds. If the road conditions are poor or someone is tailgating you, increase the time to four seconds. This distance is your margin of safety, if something happens you may need every millimeter of it to avoid a collision.

The Motor Vehicle Act says that the driver of a vehicle must not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent having regard for the speed, amount and nature of traffic and condition of the highway.

It is specific about commercial vehicles (a vehicle having either a truck or a van body) and combinations of vehicles (any type of vehicle pulling one or more trailers). These vehicles must not follow within 60 meters of another commercial vehicle or combination outside a business or residential district unless it is passing.

Tailgating limits a drivers ability to see and anticipate. Traffic signals and lane obstructions are hidden by the vehicle in front particularly if it is a large one. If the vehicle in front slows, the tailgater is forced to make an abrupt action that may result in a collision other than the one they were trying to avoid.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/current.htm)

Tha VZA
07-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by skidmark
[B]Following Too Closely

The Motor Vehicle Act says that the driver of a vehicle must not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent having regard for the speed, amount and nature of traffic and condition of the highway.combination outside a business or residential district unless it is passing.

so basically the most subjectional ticket ever???

they don't include the type of vehicle (size, set-up etc.) and driver skill...which are also variables...

ciao

skidmark
07-26-2006, 11:11 PM
It all gets testified to in traffic court on a dispute. These details help the JP decide.

Tyler883
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Tha VZA

so basically the most subjectional ticket ever???

they don't include the type of vehicle (size, set-up etc.) and driver skill...which are also variables...

ciao

These are only arguements that tailgaters worry about. The rest of us don't give a shit.

95EagleAWD
08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Tyler883

These are only arguements that tailgaters worry about. The rest of us don't give a shit.

Indeed.

I like having nice powerful brakes and a full-width LED 3rd brake light across my rear wing. So when those tailgating bastards are hanging on my ass and I brake-check them, they get a nice bright flash right in their face.

Fuck tailgaters. I hate you all.

Tyler883
08-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Indeed.

I like having nice powerful brakes and a full-width LED 3rd brake light across my rear wing. So when those tailgating bastards are hanging on my ass and I brake-check them, they get a nice bright flash right in their face.

Fuck tailgaters. I hate you all.

Its pretty easy to watch them in the rear view, while using my peripheral vision to look forward. I think I'll wait for the tailgater to turn his head or shoulder check........thats when I'll nail the brakes :devil:

Zero102
08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
:guns: :guns: to tailgaters.
On the same hand.....
:guns: to left-lane trolls too!

Sorry that wasn't terribly constructive.

yellowsnow
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
tailgaters should be stripped of their license and spanked. I hate it when people try to race me and tailgate me. i don't want to race a civic moron!

steverules
08-10-2006, 08:45 AM
BAH! I hate tailgaters, It's like, if I hit my breaks ur screwed and you are fixing my car!

I have a friend she always complains about tailgaters but honestly she is the worst of all tailgaters!

rage2
08-10-2006, 08:53 AM
I personally find the 2 second rule a bit too much and borderline dangerous, because 90% of the rest of the drivers don't respect that. When I first started driving, I did the 2 second rule, and people would take up the spot all the time, which would make me slow down more and more and be at the back of the queue.

As for ticketing for following too close, I've never ever seen a cop give out that ticket unless an accident was involved.

steverules
08-10-2006, 08:56 AM
I think it was last year they were cracking down on tailgaters on deerfoot! :dunno: Thats probablly about the extent of the tickets, unless ur being a real jerk!