PDA

View Full Version : How much Are you spending??

donturo
07-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi I'm new to this place..Looks great over here...

I was wondering for those of you that once and a while go out on the track, how much are you spending, and how often are you going?

And are you using expensive tires?? I always think it's hard to enjoy motorsports if you're on a budget....I've decided to go for it, but I trying to get a grasp on the finance and what it all costs...Tires and gasoline not to mention parts are pretty expensive, so how much would it cost me to go out once and a while to the tracks?

What is motorsports worth to you??? How much are you spending?

BlueGoblin
07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think anybody here can give you much of an idea about what motorsports would cost you, unless you figure in the cost of airfare from the Netherlands to Canada.

This forum is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and most of the members are located here and close by.

To answer your question though best I can - I used to autocross (sometimes called gymkhana in the UK) when I couldn't afford to go to the track. Speeds are low, and its all about vehicle control. You don't have to spend much on prep - or any at all really so long as your car can pass a very basic prep. It's a fun way to develop driving skills without the expense of going to a full-on track. Perhaps there is a sports car club you could contact locally who sets these up.

Good luck!

ga16i
07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Running a car in general here is fairly expensive, but once you have a car, it's not that much more additional cost to take it to the track. If you've already got a running vehicle in decent shape, it's just $25 a pop to go out to secret street for drag and autocross. Plus cost of gas... $5? Helmet rental is $5 everytime if you don't already have one. So expect about ~$35 in extra expense if you take it to the track.

donturo
07-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks blueGoblin, that's a great idea! I could use autocross to build up and polish my skills. It's called autocross overhere allright, I believe they only use gymkhana in Japan, not sure...Great idea for cheap motorsports fun!

And ga16i, I guess you're right but I want to go driving on the nurburgring, Germany's famous circuit...
Since the speeds are pretty high and the course length is over 20km, I think this will cost you more than $5 for gasoline...Gasoline is pretty expensive in europe we pay about $1.75 per liter here.

So for track driving would you be using expensive tires?? Top of the range tires are over $1000 per 4
How long will tires last if you race on m? Not long I suppose?

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
tires are the same here... gas is a little cheaper... but 20km would only cost me about $2 of gas...

tires should last a while as long as you dont go fult tilt on them... (burnouts and such)