PDA

View Full Version : Test Computer

speedracer
05-22-2002, 01:29 PM
I'm playing with the idea to have a test server.
What do you think of the Xp 1600?

I'm really only using it to test linux / mirror applications to see if they work.

I'm looking at the XP1600

It seems pretty affordable? Any opinions? (Yes, I know the board will be shit)

Any opinions?

http://techtronics.ca/pdf/flyer.pdf

I can build a better computer but I really don't want to spend $1500 (out of my own pocket).

kenny
05-22-2002, 01:38 PM
If its not going to be your primary system it should be alright. That package is a decent price. The XP cpus tend to run a bit hot, so you may want to add an extra case fan to that system to keep it running smoothly.

speedracer
05-22-2002, 01:57 PM
Pretty much it'll be just that. I'll be hosting stuff off it and once I have the configurations down pack I'll move it to a real computer. In the end it will be a backup server.

Just playing with the idea if I should or not.

kenny
05-22-2002, 02:00 PM
but I don't know if its worth shelling out the $ just to do some testing. I say save the $ and buy the real computer from the start and just borrow a computer to do compatibility testing.

redline
05-22-2002, 02:01 PM
case will be junk too but it will be good enough to test with...

rage2
05-22-2002, 02:40 PM
I use VMWare to test applications and OS's. Highly recommended!

speedracer
05-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I use VMWare to test applications and OS's. Highly recommended!

It looks very cool. But being a poor student that's out of my reach. :nut: Plus I have to feend my other addictions like racing...

:thumbsup:

Well, I'm going to price out a computer and see how much from my supplier. Funny how my server is much better than my outdate Celeron 300A - oC'd 504...
LOL

rage2
05-22-2002, 03:01 PM
VMWare's a lot cheaper than a new PC. $100 I think for a student version.

Superesc
05-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Macs. IMacs. G4s. Any macs.... love macs!

rage2
05-22-2002, 03:22 PM
Macs? ewww... why? =)

Superesc
05-22-2002, 03:40 PM
so user friendly hehe

rage2
05-22-2002, 04:08 PM
We have an imac at work, none of us could figure out how to be productive with only one mouse button =).

I think if I spent some time on it, it'd be pretty easy to learn, assuming my brain can unlearn all the MS stuff that's burned in my head from the last 10 years.

Superesc
05-22-2002, 04:42 PM
haha true, we switch to normal PC mouse at work and at home. But yea nothing beats duel monitor on a mac. Personally it suits what I do much better then PC, but for sure there's stuff that definitely don't run as well on mac.. For one thing there's more games on PC hehehe

but yea took me a little while to get use to the mac when I first got it, there is a bit of learning curve to transfer from PC to mac... but once you figure out the system and teh flexiblity and usability of a mac its hard to go back. (for one thing I can specifically manage my application's Memory (I have 350 megs of ram dedicated to Aftereffect :) instead of having windows manage it in general.

rage2
05-22-2002, 05:08 PM
I use a dual monitor 1600x1280 setup on my PC, along with a gig of ram, it's quite awesome for development work, video work, and IRC/forums work =).

I like PC's cuz they're so much cheaper than Macs, and you actually get a choice of manufacturer for every piece of hardware.

legendboy
05-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Damn, I have a P200mmx running as a firewall-router and its pretty fast running freeBSD!!! I have an Ikonboard package on it as I was going to host old posts from my cracking forum but the need ran out.... I am going to put it up as a war box, too see if anyone can hack it....

speedracer
05-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll price out a new workstation and see how that cost.

I need a computer as I want it to be on the net.
VMware does look to be cool to run as hard drives are pretty cheap... then again I'm cheap :D. Free is always better.

Nothing against imacs... But I'm old school. I like command line arguments. Point and Click is so boring... :bigpimp:
Then again I'm brain washed with M$ crap... so what do I know.

Maybe one day I'll run Open BSD and see what the fuss is all about :devil:

speedracer
05-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Damn, I have a P200mmx running as a firewall-router and its pretty fast running freeBSD!!! I have an Ikonboard package on it as I was going to host old posts from my cracking forum but the need ran out.... I am going to put it up as a war box, too see if anyone can hack it....

How's the ikon board for server user load?

I'm running a simular configuration and it seems OK. Then again I don't see that I would have a user list beyond 200 people...

War box sounds cool :)

bol
05-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Sweet another person using FreeBSD! :thumbsup:

Linux is bad for you....

Superesc
05-22-2002, 11:53 PM
hehe the classic OS debate!

bol
05-22-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Superesc
hehe the classic OS debate!

Bring it on! Haven't had one in awhile! :devil:

Solaris + FreeBSD = bulletproof

That's not to say I have never used linux in enterprise applications! :confused:

speedracer
05-22-2002, 11:56 PM
M$ uses BSD... Could it be the :devil: 's program of choice?
hehehe

bol
05-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Everybody meet beastie!

http://www.freebsd.org/gifs/dae_up3.gif

He's a daemon not a demon!

rage2
05-23-2002, 12:01 AM
win2k owns you all! =)

I dunno why people are so anti-MS, win2k is a very capable server OS.

bol
05-23-2002, 12:02 AM
I'm not anti-MS. I run 2K at home. Just prefer UNIX for all server applications.

Windows prior to NT 4/2K was pretty unstable and generally bad for enterprise applications.

kenny
05-23-2002, 12:07 AM
Speedracer, I think you should save the $650 and invest in an Intel based system then you will know it will work with whatever software you throw at it.

As for what OS is better, who knows, I run Win2k, and administer a bunch of servers all running Win2k and it performs just fine. Sure, it is probably more of a resource hog than unix based OSs, but cpu cycles are cheap :)

bol
05-23-2002, 12:11 AM
poser! :guns:

kenny
05-23-2002, 12:13 AM
hey, it looks cool what can I say :p

speedracer
05-23-2002, 12:24 AM
I use win2k and NT4 at work. So I'm not anti MS. Feed it memory and it wil like you :D

But I like open source software much better from a developers stand point. That's my only hate with M$.

Kenny, good point. I really should do that and update my website...

rage2
05-23-2002, 08:39 AM
NT4 was close to being stable. I still reboot my NT4 IIS box on a monthly basis.

legendboy
05-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by speedracer

How's the ikon board for server user load?

I'm running a simular configuration and it seems OK. Then again I don't see that I would have a user list beyond 200 people...

War box sounds cool :)

Hey, I never got the board set up, I was asked to and then the forum got a whole bunch more disk space and increased bandwidth, I think that Ikonboards are ok tho.....

I am dualbooting redhat 7 and win2k pro also, linux is a good OS but I'm finding it a little hard to find the time to mess around with it being a full time student and work almost full time also....

I used my little box for portscaning, wargames, spoofing, cracking passes (*ahem--testing ISS server security--*ahem).....etc.... I use to be into that alot but its the same story with the time, its more of a winter hobbie, now that summer is here its my car thats getting all the attenion....... my box is pretty sweet tho, I have a really paranoyed firewall with spoof checks, ip masqurade for the lan, and a prog called portsentry for dropping off the face of the earth as soon as a scan or spoof is detected, work really really good, Nmap, satan, and a bunch of other crap, command line only baby!!!!!! no GUI's here!!!! (firewall)

redline
05-23-2002, 10:19 AM
NT4 was close to being stable. I still reboot my NT4 IIS box on a monthly basis.

are you running IIS 4 or 5 on that box?

redline
05-23-2002, 10:21 AM
OpenBSD should be the open source server platform of choice. Made in Calgary and designed to be an internet server from the ground up.:thumbsup: More secure and more stable.

rage2
05-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by redline
are you running IIS 4 or 5 on that box?

NT4 IIS4. IIS5 is Win2k only.

redline
05-23-2002, 10:40 AM

NT4 IIS4. IIS5 is Win2k only.

I thought i read a tech article that you can get 5 to work on nt 4 but i could be wrong. But i would be change that web server, iis 4 has more holes then swiss cheese. MS is not doing alot about them other then telling people now to go to iis 5.

But i highly recommand this product to anyone that wants a safe iis web server. I use this at work and it stops hacking attemps and bugs/future bugs cold! :thumbsup:

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/product.cfm?id=680

rage2
05-23-2002, 10:55 AM
My IIS boxes are very locked down. Half the patches that come out don't affect me because I've disabled everything that I don't need.

I only have 2 NT4 boxes that I haven't migrated over yet. Maybe some day when I get off my lazy ass... =)

redline
05-23-2002, 11:28 AM
My IIS boxes are very locked down. Half the patches that come out don't affect me because I've disabled everything that I don't need.

I only have 2 NT4 boxes that I haven't migrated over yet. Maybe some day when I get off my lazy ass... =)

Such a brave man to trust MS :nut:

legendboy
05-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by redline
IIS 4 has more holes then swiss cheese.

hehe

hmm......looks like microslut thinks they have done it again!, not sure if secure and IIS should be used in the same sentance when it comes to MS tho.....:woot: I'm sure that there are hundreds of exploits out there already....

EDIT: anyone have any slot1 or 370 fcpga cpu's for sale????

Ben
05-23-2002, 12:03 PM
I love Win2k, I have never had better experience.

rage2
05-23-2002, 12:11 PM
I think you guys are reading into the security bulletins way too much. Just because there's an exploit doesn't mean you'll be vulnerable to it, IF you setup your server properly. A default installation is of course vulerable to all the exploits out there. By disabling unused extensions/DLL's such as .htr, stopping default web services and creating a new virtual web server for your site and managing script/executable access, that eliminates 99% of the vulnerabilities and exploits for IIS. Try installing a default install of Redhat, you'll be rooted in 5 seconds =).

It's not very smart to install IIS and make a web site right out of Default Web Page IMO... =) Search in google for "The site you were trying to reach does not currently have a default page." with the quotes... you can clearly see how many people build sites out of Default Web page. Kinda scary.

legendboy
05-23-2002, 12:28 PM
IF you setup your server properly.

Exactly, I guess there are alot of dumb admins out there.....

redline
05-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Dont get me wrong rage2, I am a big MS fan 95% of my network is w2k. I do not have issues with my web servers or other servers. Apache is not much better if at all. There is just as many holes in that as there is w2k.

And you are right how the server is built is the most important thing and 99% of so called admins do not know how to do it on w2k or linux. There is so much more to it then sticking in the CD and typing setup.

I just do not fully trust that MS is telling us/fixing all the issues that they have and there is way too many MS haters that are looking for new holes to leave it to chance and using product like secureIIS just reduces that risk. Its like a condom for IIS! ;) Not a 100% (like any product is?!?) but better then nothing...

bol
05-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Only security problems I've ever experienced have been on *shock* windows platforms...(and sometimes the result of stupid users.)

legendboy
05-23-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Benny
I love Win2k, I have never had better experience.

I have to agree, win2k is the best windows Os yet IMHO... I have had 0 problems with it so far! My win98 box was phuckin up at least once a day, I swear....

redline
05-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Well i have been at my company for 5 corporate takeovers now and you would be amazed how stuff gets setup... it is down right scary.

redline
05-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I have to agree, win2k is the best windows Os yet IMHO... I have had 0 problems with it so far! My win98 box was phuckin up at least once a day, I swear....

I think that XP could be more stable but i hate the new interface. I might start using it at home the next time i rebuild my computer.

legendboy
05-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Speaking about win2k, I am having a problem with a new install on my friends voodoo, I installed win2k pro, installed nav internet security, ad-aware, everything seemed to be working fine at my place but when I dropped it back of and hooked it up at his place, I started getting this:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF1C7C6A9, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF1C7C6A9)
Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal

I had a look at ms site, had a look at the event logs, ran a chkdsk and found that some norton files were corrupt and a file called csc1.tmp was corrupt. I uninstalled norton (WAREZ) and ran the chkdsk again.....I think that was it, any input would be great!

rage2
05-23-2002, 11:21 PM
Norton 2000 doesn't support Windows 2000, make sure you have the latest Norton to install. Norton 2000 can cause anything from BSOD's, to running out of non pooled memory.

legendboy
05-23-2002, 11:30 PM
Holy Cow, I did not know that, I have had norton running on win2k pro for about 4 months and I have not had any problems with it so far......wierd.

EDIT: I just checked symantic's site, Internet security 2002 supports XP Home/XP Pro/ 2000 Pro/NT WS/Me/98

legendboy
05-23-2002, 11:45 PM
something else strange happened to me today, all of my emails in my inbox disapeared...the "welcome to outlook express" mail was there again....