PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices (revisited for the millionth time)

Tik-Tok
07-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I really have to laugh. I just noticed today that sometime in the past week gas prices shot up at least 10 cents a liter, and what do the gas companies have to say about that?

Shell - 40% profit increase in this 1/4 up to 6 BILLION dollars (in 3 fucking months)
Exxon - 36% increase to over 10 BILLION, that's about $1300/second.

I could go on. It's so outrageous I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

Altezza
07-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Shell and Exxon don't wake up and say, "Today, I will charge $1.25/L". Gasoline prices are dictated by the futures market.

IhateDomestic
07-27-2006, 07:02 PM
word.

btw if i could go back in time i'd buy all the gas stations!!! lol

Supa Dexta
07-27-2006, 07:35 PM
and why just in the city? you go to cochrane its 1.10 still , strathmore is likley still at a buck..

:rolleyes:

Ajay
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
and why just in the city? you go to cochrane its 1.10 still , strathmore is likley still at a buck..

:rolleyes:

Because there is much more demand in the larger cities than in the outlying areas for petrochemical products.

Increased demand with not enough supply = higher prices.

FivE.SeveN
07-27-2006, 08:40 PM
FUCK every time I go fill up I swear I'm checking under my car to see if it's pouring out the bottom. Stupid $-sign keeps going and going...

Tik-Tok
07-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

Because there is much more demand in the larger cities than in the outlying areas for petrochemical products.

Increased demand with not enough supply = higher prices.

Still annoying though. And where did the sudden demand come from in the past 3 days? Long weekend isn't for another week.

Kobe
07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Banff is 1.28L for premium today:banghead: :banghead:

MudCrawler
07-27-2006, 10:48 PM
:( This sucks shit. I cant fucking stand how much it costs to fill up my vehicles. :thumbsdow :guns:

thordin
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
it wont be long before everybodys riding the c-train.

THEN people will start complaining about the rising costs to ride the train.

its a lose-lose situation :banghead: :nut: :rofl:

Audio_Rookie
07-27-2006, 11:05 PM
yup, 117 here in Lethbridge.

it be getting crazy.

toyboy88
07-27-2006, 11:08 PM
and i heard its bcuz of the shortage of supply in the us and the "conflict" in lebanon/isreal that's bumping the prices lately

guessboi
07-27-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't mind it when my cars and in my family all have a 2L or less engines. :D
small engines. :clap:

Tyler883
07-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
I don't mind it when my cars and in my family all have a 2L or less engines. :D
small engines. :clap:

Hahaha - I laugh everytime you guys try to move something large. It ussually ends up looking something like this:

sputnik
07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Jack FM had a good idea this morning.

Make the following 2 topics illegal to talk about.

- Gas Prices
- How much your house has gone up in value.

B17a
07-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

- Gas Prices

:werd: :werd:

Impreza
07-28-2006, 08:12 AM

- Gas Prices

Please and thanks.

khtm
07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Ahhh good 'ol 60 MPG motorbike. ;)

DoubleLP
07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by khtm
Ahhh good 'ol 60 MPG motorbike. ;)

Not so good in the winter though. :bigpimp:

Kirbs17
07-28-2006, 09:12 AM
119.7/L here in red deer. :banghead:

5abi
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
its pure profiteering i dnt' care what ppl say.

oil prices dropped 73dollaz a barrel and gas prices go up.

nonsane
07-28-2006, 09:24 AM
it's for summer. The gas prices shot up last summer too...

We are slowly being conditioned to accept higher gas prices.

in 2003(When i was bitching about it going to 80 cents/litre), if you said i'd be happy to be paying 99 cents/litre i'd say you're an idiot.

But look where we are now.

khtm
07-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by DoubleLP

Not so good in the winter though. :bigpimp:
No big deal!

http://www.msn.co.uk/pidl/108709042/motorbike_snow_3501.jpg

:D

01RedDX
07-28-2006, 09:34 AM

HRD2PLZ
07-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Yah, its brutal but what are you going to do? So many of us have become extremely dependent on our vehicles. I would be lost without mine. I find I don't even so much care what gas prices are anymore, my truck needs gas... so I fill it up :dunno:

sputnik
07-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yeah, except suddenly they are all posting record shattering profits lately, with ExxonMobil announcing the second highest corporate profit in history. It's disgusting.

So who cares? The only way you will prevent that from happening is by EVERYONE consuming less crude products. Its called supply and demand.

Just buy stock in oil companies as a hedge against the rising cost of fuel.

JDMMAN
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
The biggest single reason is the lack of refining capacity in N.America. Hence the rise in prices.... the worst thing however is that all these "analysts" tell people a couple of weeks in advance; then everyone gets the inflationary expections in their mind and it creates increase demand that doesn't necessarily coincide with real demand requirements. Static supply and increased demands from inflationary expections = higher pump prices.

The real "kicker" is the fact that our pump price is so out of whack due to taxes it's not even funny. Even in LA, where its the most expensive to buy gas in the lower 48, you can get gas for $0.12/L cheaper then here in Calgary. :banghead: It's almost $0.25/L cheaper in Houston then Calgary!

Crymson
07-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Oil companies are making 10 cents on the dollar, that's a respectable, but not ridiculous ammount of profit. Pharmaceutal companies make closer to 40 cents. 10% profit is faily minimal really, compared to alot of other industries.

It's just that Exxon and Shell have MASSIVE market cap, they made 10 billion, but their revenue was 99 billion.

So, it's not a big deal. Yah it's alot of money, but just because it's in a half dozen big piles, rather than spread amongst 100 different companies doesn't make it any less fair. 10% profit is fair.

QuasarCav
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM

- Gas Prices

These gas prices do suck but my house increasing 100% in value over 6 months offsets that.

:poosie:

What do you think of that grandpa.

sputnik
07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Grandpa?

jdm_eg6
07-28-2006, 11:53 AM
NO No! they are definatly price gouging and definatly abusing their ability for dirrecting the market value of gasoline. They just made the huge development on the Oil sands and made it available to be extracted let alone the many other oil refineries that are back online after catrina!

Price per liter should EASILY! be 80 or below! considering they have more refineries than before. This is rediculus and somone needs to pass a bill that will give the government the power to regulate gas prices. This is rediculous and the flaw of the Market system.

The one and only flaw where rich grow richer and poor grow poorer through this sort of action where the rich exploit and poor need to accept. Price regulation needs to be done through the state and fairly too! or people should go on a rampage and start ripping appart gas stations and stick it to the man! haha

To me this is just disgusting.

QuasarCav
07-28-2006, 11:54 AM
It's obvious by your typing and your views that you are at least 10 years older than most on this forum.

I really just wanted to bring an e-smile to your face!

jdm_eg6
07-28-2006, 11:59 AM
It's obvious by your typing and your views that you are at least 10 years older than most on this forum.

I really just wanted to bring an e-smile to your face!

Haha, shut up!. Iam 18 and just woke up iam definatly not in the best of writing moods, haha. I noticed after writing a little bit that i was out of it but i needed to sick my post down! But seriously Federal regulation will be a little more fare to the people.

sputnik
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6

Haha, shut up!. Iam 18 and just woke up iam definatly not in the best of writing moods, haha. I noticed after writing a little bit that i was out of it but i needed to sick my post down! But seriously Federal regulation will be a little more fare to the people.

Relax. He was talking about me.

BTW - I am 27 so not QUITE 10 years older than the average.

jdm_eg6
07-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Relax. He was talking about me.
No worries iam relaxed i didnt take it offensivly at all. Remember
...and just woke up...
haha

yellowsnow
07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
You'll find that Calgary actually had lower gas prices then most of the major cities in Canada until a week ago. The price of oil is ultimately controlled by the middle east (OPEC). They restrict their production, and that causes the price of oil to increase.

It's sickening tho that we have to pay more and more each year. oil companies are the devil!

Crymson
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
You realize that gas IS about 80 cents a litre, without the gov't taxes right? The gov't will never cut gas prices because it's a massive source of revenue.

You wonder why the provice and federal gov't have posted multi billion dollar surplases for the last 5 years?

TEAMFaint
07-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Its 1.15/L here in Medicine Hat.

Remember the good ol' days...probably 3 years ago during the summer there was a gas war here in Medicine Hat..gas was 29 cents a litre..filled up the car for about $15.

Even the stable price was 59.9/L...damn I miss the days

Xtrema
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I really have to laugh. I just noticed today that sometime in the past week gas prices shot up at least 10 cents a liter, and what do the gas companies have to say about that?

Shell - 40% profit increase in this 1/4 up to 6 BILLION dollars (in 3 fucking months)
Exxon - 36% increase to over 10 BILLION, that's about $1300/second.

I could go on. It's so outrageous I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

I said it many time, people are bias.

When a commodity trader making money, they are screwing the consumer.

When Apple make the same money with god awful Ipod @ 30% margin, it's ok.

boo fucking hoo, go live at Cuba.

Crymson
07-28-2006, 01:20 PM
that was when oil was 15$ a barle, it is now 5 times that. You guys should thank your lukcy stars gas isn't 3.00 a litre.

The reason there are no gas wars now, is because gas stations can't AFFORD a gas war, there is no margin anymore.

A friend of the family owned a small station that was borderline rural in ontario ( my frist summer job, making 5$ an hour under the table, was pumping gas there), and made 95% of his profit off the 2 garage bays and mechanics work, and cigarettes he sold. He had pumps so that he could pull in local cars and convice their owners to use his garage.

Xtrema
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
A friend of the family owned a small station that was borderline rural in ontario ( my frist summer job, making 5$ an hour under the table, was pumping gas there), and made 95% of his profit off the 2 garage bays and mechanics work, and cigarettes he sold. He had pumps so that he could pull in local cars and convice their owners to use his garage.

Bingo. People think all these profits goes to the station or oil companies. They don't. Retail gas has no money in them. And the higher the gas price goes, the less money to be made.

01RedDX
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM

Crymson
07-28-2006, 03:13 PM

I know it's logical for them to be making more money because demand is higher than ever. But demand has been climbing steadily over time, which doesn't explain the sudden explosion in profits the last 2-3 years.

Their profts have been declining since 2003, as a %'age of their annual revenue. in 2003 there were aroun 12%, now they're at 10%, But exxon's annual revenue has gone from 250 billion to 370 billion.

Their business is growing because of the cash they have to reinvest, but they're making less on each dollar they make now.

Again -- don't beleive the liberal media, do a bit of reading, and you'll see. They're making record numbers because they're growing, not because they're gouging.

01RedDX
07-28-2006, 03:36 PM

Crymson
07-28-2006, 03:46 PM
^^ fine, the don't change your argument. It IS the liberal media, or the "media" in general. Would you have been blown away or angry and shouting at CTV camera man interviewing you at an ESSO station if they said "What do you think of Exxon posting a 10% profit this year"?

The Electric car is a great idea, for people who only need to go for 100 km's a day. There is no current energy density match right now, to a hydrocarbon.

You can't blame oil companies for supressing electric cars. If they are truely a viable alternative, then they would exist by the force of market pressure. There are enough unemployed electrical engineers in the US and enough low interest loans to start companies if there was a marekt, the Battery, and Electric Motor are not mysterious patents held in evil oil companies secret vaults.

There is a price point, probably somewhere in the 150-200$ a bbl range where oil will become too expensive to burn, and will be reserved for manufacturing and fuel use where it's still economic for 10$ a litre gasoline, but at that point, the market pressure will be so great to have an effective electric car that it will exist.

collectskulls
07-28-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.wallstreetreporter.com/profile.php?id=18989#

01RedDX
07-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Crymson
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM

That's about 90% of the population. I don't want to get into it with you since you sound like an oil company advocate, but it is not a black and white supply and demand issue IMO.

I know that's about 90% of the population, also, probably about 90% of the v8 SUV driving population.

I do work for an oil company, but I daily drive a 4 cylinder car, and take the bus to work and back each day. I'm a responsible fuel using individual, who likely doen't even burn 25 litres a week.

I for one, would be happy to see Canada weaned off it's gasoline addiction, and there are large number of things we can do to start.

1) Improve rail lines to accomodate high speed train linkages. If a train could get 40,000 lbs of rail car transported goods from Vancouver twice as fast and with less fuel cost per lb than a truck, we'd pull all the transport trucks off the road, the added benifit would be billions of extra money in the hands of the government saved from road repair due primarily to trucks.

2) high speed passenger trains would make the any 200-600k trip stupid in a car or plane. Car would be too long and tiring, and the plane doesn't save you any time due to our now overbearing security and airport delays.

3) Introduce high $$ luxury taxes on high HP/displacement vehicles for personal use.

4) Change the way cities are zoned. Calgary is a perfect example of a city that is being BUILT to become addicted to gasoline. Increase population density, increase public transit availability. Most everyone will still need a car, but the point would be to reign in exploding commute times, and mileage per week values.

01RedDX
07-28-2006, 04:56 PM

nismodrifter
07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah um so I paid 97 cents a litre for diesel yesterday. Cost me $48.00 to fill up....and I got a good 1180 highway kms out of it.

Diesel>you.

55.5 MPG MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

(A/C was on and average speed was ~130+km/h)

Dren
07-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Yeah um so I paid 97 cents a litre for diesel yesterday. Cost me $48.00 to fill up....and I got a good 1180 highway kms out of it.

Diesel>you.

55.5 MPG MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

(A/C was on and average speed was ~130+km/h)

Nice !! type of car?

modded46
07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

These gas prices do suck but my house increasing 100% in value over 6 months offsets that.

:poosie:

What do you think of that grandpa.

:werd:

modded46
07-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Dren

Nice !! type of car?

Looks like a 01 Jetta

nismodrifter
07-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by modded46

Looks like a 01 Jetta

Usually it would be but for that trip it was in my dad's car which is an 00' Jetta TDI (it's stock).

Time for people to start thinking about what kind of car they drive......
http://members.shaw.ca/nismodrifter/gotdiesel.jpg

Xtrema
07-30-2006, 09:20 AM
^ has nothing to do with liberal media. The fact is, the oil conglomerate is responsible for holding back advances in alternative energy.

That may apply to Exxon but not Shell or BP.

BP is a big supporter of E85.

Shell has many plans for future energy. Such as production of Hyrdogen for fuel cell using geothermal energy and gasificaiton of natural gas or coal to liquid fuel for diesel engines. Both are being implemented in China.

The gasification of coal will mean the US can produce enough fuel to sustain its needs and is current being tested by the Air Force to fuel their jets.

While oil industry in general enjoys the high prices and consumptions, alternatives are being worked on. Most of the activities are in Europe where energy cost is very high.

And that's the nature of the beast, people don't change unless they are forced too. Raising prices or taxes will promote conservation and research.

redline
07-30-2006, 09:41 AM
If the oil companies wanted to keep people hooked on oil they would keep the prices low like they were doing, that way it is not economical to develop any other energy source.

It is some what supply and demand, price has tripled in the last couple of years yet demand has went up? So what does that tell you? it is not high enough yet to make people change their behavior yet, So the price has made people bitch about it and not fill up less.

oil companies dont control the price of oil, it is traded on the market and price is set on what poeple are willing to pay!

Just wait till oil hits a $100/barrel it is coming to pump near you!

modded46
07-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Usually it would be but for that trip it was in my dad's car which is an 00' Jetta TDI (it's stock).

Time for people to start thinking about what kind of car they drive......
http://members.shaw.ca/nismodrifter/gotdiesel.jpg

You're right, I can finally afford an Escalade. :)

nadroj23
07-31-2006, 03:20 PM
so i filled up a couple days ago didnt even bother to look at the gas prices just noticed i paid $47 to fill from dead empty...........and if gas prices werent as high as they are i would be filling my tank for $43 to me it is not that big of a deal. gas prices are like me deciding if i wanna use premium or not, doesnt really make a difference for a few $ here and there..

v2kai
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
i hate watching the dollars going faster than the litres ...:thumbsdow