PDA

View Full Version : Co-worker of mine was bragging all day..

spincycle
04-15-2003, 05:26 PM
A co-worker of mine recently invested in a new Lexus IS sport. He took me and a few others for a spin during lunch. The ride was great but he refused to let any of us take the wheel. Real smooth handling and its got a sporty/sophisticated look to it. I suppose when the weekends come around we'll be taking his car.

I'm actually looking into the new Audi A4...any opinions on the two?

92 Teg-B18A
04-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Why would he let anyone drive his new car? Really would you... probably not.
However the new A4 looks so sweet! IMO Definately better than the IS300 Sportcross.
What can I say I'm a sucker for the looks of german cars :D

buh_buh
04-15-2003, 05:43 PM
I would take an IS300 over an A4 any day of the week. I love the way the IS300 looks. And there's a TT kit for it hahahah (see other thread)

Glowrider
04-15-2003, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't let anyone drive my car. If he's bragging to the point of being an asshole, just shut him down.

^SkylinE^
04-16-2003, 02:08 AM
Its a toss up Awd or rear wheel drive.
Im with buh buh the Is 300 Looks better!!!!! and alot of potental

Ajay
04-16-2003, 02:20 AM
The IS 300 is my new car of choice after I finish school! That's gonna be the one I go for after I land a decent job!

I like the A4 but I like the S4 even more....I mean how can you go wrong with a 3.0L V6 with twin turbochargers?! Anyways....the IS 300 has it all. Looks, performance, and it's just dead SEXAY!

Plus...if I just bought one I wouldn't let anyone drive it either. Shit...no one has driven my Civic hatchie and it's a Civic hatchie...well except my friend's girlfriend when she's had to drive me home in my car a couple times after having a shitload to drink!

VWEvo
04-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I would take an IS300 over an A4 any day of the week. I love the way the IS300 looks. And there's a TT kit for it hahahah (see other thread)

Drive them both, especially in the snow, I guarantee you will change your mind.

Plus, take in to factor the that the A4 already has a 1.8 TURBO engine, and a little cash into this engine, will go a long way.

I drove all the cars in that class. The a4 is such an awesome machine. I bought it exactly one year ago and I have no regrets whatsoever.

I drove the IS300, was very, very dissappointed in the traction control system. The handling was ok, not even close to an a4 with sport suspension, and the engine was pretty zippy though.

Overall, drive the two, and you'll be sold, trust me!!!!

Volinder

VWEvo
04-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Here's a pic of my a4

Glowrider
04-16-2003, 09:51 AM
3.0L V6 with twin turbochargers

It's actually a 3.0 inline 6, not a V6. It doesn't come turbocharged from the factory. You have to invest thousands of dollars AFTER you pay for your new car, to make it turbo.

As where the A4 is already turbo.

Sorry, but the IS300 lacks in performance for the money Lexus dealers ask for it. It's no bigger inside than an Accord, and 0-60 in the mid 7's just isn't worth the $32,000 USD.

The V6 Accord offers up more performance per dollar than the IS300, for less.

I'd say in a comparo between the A4/S4 and the IS300...I'd be more than eager to jump behind the wheel of an Audi.

You can pick up a 2000 Audi S4 for around $17k USD. That will blow the doors off of a stock IS300, and can be modified just as well. It COMES turbocharged, bi-turbo V6. No letting your car sit at a shop for a week or more getting turbo kits installed.

VWEvo
04-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider

It's actually a 3.0 inline 6, not a V6. It doesn't come turbocharged from the factory. You have to invest thousands of dollars AFTER you pay for your new car, to make it turbo.

Sorry, but the IS300 lacks in performance for the money Lexus dealers ask for it. It's no bigger inside than an Accord, and 0-60 in the mid 7's just isn't worth the $32,000 USD.

The V6 Accord offers up more performance per dollar than the IS300, for less.

I'd say in a comparo between the A4/S4 and the IS300...I'd be more than eager to jump behind the wheel of an Audi.

You can pick up a 2000 Audi S4 for around $17k USD. That will blow the doors off of a stock IS300, and can be modified just as well. It COMES turbocharged, bi-turbo V6. No letting your car sit at a shop for a week or more getting turbo kits installed.

Well said, that's what I was trying to say

max_boost
04-16-2003, 12:23 PM
Both cars are GREAT cars......in the end......Toyota reliability has me sold on the IS! I fear German cars and their repair bills having gone through it twice now :rofl: :rofl:

Glowrider
04-16-2003, 01:12 PM
That reliability goes out the window when you put boost into an engine that isn't meant to take it. And no, the 2JZ-GE is not meant for boost. The 2JZ-GTE is.

max_boost
04-16-2003, 01:23 PM
That reliability goes out the window when you put boost into an engine that isn't meant to take it. And no, the 2JZ-GE is not meant for boost. The 2JZ-GTE is. And that is why I am moving towards buying decently powerful cars out of the factory!:thumbsup: None of this head gasket blowing, money pit aftermarket crap haha Too complicated for me.....haha:rofl:

gpomp
04-16-2003, 01:25 PM
That reliability goes out the window when you put boost into an engine that isn't meant to take it. And no, the 2JZ-GE is not meant for boost. The 2JZ-GTE is.

Doesn't that IS300 have a GTE?

Altezza
04-16-2003, 01:38 PM
The 2JZ-GE comes from the same underpinnings as the 2JZ-GTE. There are tons of RELIABLE daily driven turbo IS300's out there. The 2JZ engine has enormous potential and is proven.

I've driven the A4 1.8Tqm with sport suspension, hell someone I know owns one and I've driven it all the time. Talk about bad understeer in that car. Nice interior though.

Glowrider
04-16-2003, 01:40 PM
There are tons of RELIABLE daily driven turbo IS300's out there.

Yeah, more than a few of them have blown the 2JZ-GE, and swapped in a 2JZ-GTE.

Altezza
04-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 92 Teg-B18A
Why would he let anyone drive his new car? Really would you... probably not.

Funny thing is, I've offered to let people drive my car. My only stipulation was it had to be after the break-in period.

Personally, I never thought cars were anything to brag about. Nobody at work knew I got a new car for months. The only way they found out was the parking lady blurted it out as we were all picking up parking passes.

Altezza
04-16-2003, 02:20 PM

Yeah, more than a few of them have blown the 2JZ-GE, and swapped in a 2JZ-GTE.

LOL, you know how few GTE swaps have been done since they are so hard to do?? :rolleyes: The GE holds well over 450 horses without major problems or need for major modifications - proven by both the Supra and IS community. I don't doubt that there've been blown GE's, but you'd have to have a pretty ghetto setup or be pretty stupid to easily blow a 2JZ engine. People who want more power go for the GTE (not suprising).

Glowrider
04-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Toyomoto in Miami, FL does them quite a bit. Their first turbo IS300 project blew it's engine while racing a viper, he came back 2 weeks later with a 2JZ-GTE in the car. The ones that I have seen from that area all end up going the same route.

Altezza
04-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Toyomoto in Miami, FL does them quite a bit. Their first turbo IS300 project blew it's engine while racing a viper, he came back 2 weeks later with a 2JZ-GTE in the car. The ones that I have seen from that area all end up going the same route.

Toyomoto is quite famous with IS300 turbo work. Like I said, people who want insane power will go to a GTE. The cost is quite prohibitive to most since it's not an easy swap. If I had cash, the 2JZ-GTE would be in my car no problem. Then again, if I had cash, I'd probably be driving your car instead :D

three.eighteen.
04-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I fear German cars and their repair bills having gone through it twice now :rofl: :rofl:

:werd: im learning lots of DIY on jeffs car though:rofl:

audio1der
04-17-2003, 07:41 AM

The new S4 is the 4.2l V8.
Even so, the old 2.7l straight-6. twin turbo S4 is no comparison to the 1.8T- thats not fair. the 3.0 A4 is refined, but the 1.8T has more tuneability.
The IS drives very nice, but the shifter in the 5spd is terrible.
Reviews say the auto is just as fast, and with the manu-matic, almost as much fun without the hassle.
Very lively car for one not designed as a true sports car.

hjr
04-17-2003, 10:31 AM

17000US???? really. holy crap. thats pretty good. thats only about 25000cdn. WOW

hjr
04-17-2003, 10:33 AM
they generally go for about $10 000cdn more up here.

DSM Power
04-17-2003, 07:09 PM
IS300 = :zzz:
A4 = :thumbsup:
S4 = :devil:

FiveFreshFish
04-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by hjr

17000US???? really. holy crap. thats pretty good. thats only about 25000cdn. WOW

It won't be in very good shape for US$17000.