PDA

View Full Version : Haveing Trouble Finding a new career, what am i doing wrong (trades, or something)

Takemetoothemoo
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Why am I having trouble finding a new career? I have been looking off and on for the past 3 months. I have had a number of interviews all the jobs I have been offered where like 12 or 14/ hour. I am prepared to take a step back, but that is too far back.
I have been applying for mostly apprentice ship jobs and installers the odd computer job And Oil & Gas companys. i troll all the job websites and the papper then. I fax off my resume and cover letter.

I am very good with computers and have been a geek since I was a kid.
I also like building things and I am good with my hands

Work Background:
I am a hard worker.
1999 I was a landscaper for a summer, cutting concrete building walls..
I have been working at a warehouse for 7 years now as a receiver. I was a supervisor for a year in charge of around 60 people, doing performance reviews…. Then I decided to step down from supervision so I could go back to collage to gain a more rewarding career. I found that School was just not for me while working full time nights.

I am currently working afternoons and I need to go on day shift but due to the needs of the business they will not let me transfer do to staffing shortages

I just bought a townhouse I take possession on July 31. 2006, My GF wants to have my around so she can see me, for some reason..

Without flaming me I was hoping someone could let me know what is holding me back. I am thinking it is due to my history at my current job supervisor for a year, some collage courses.. Or Companies may prefer a new high school graduated then an old guy like me (26)

Also looking for tips and or leads :)

Thanks for your time reading my story

~Leah~
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't mean to flame.... but does your resume and cover letter contain the same number of spelling mistakes as this post??

Haveing is spelt HAVING
Collage is spelt COLLEGE
etc

All I'm suggesting here is that you maybe take your resume and cover letter(s) to a professional or something to have it reviewed for you to make it more appealing to employers.

khtm
07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Good suggestion Leah...even one spelling mistake can often = garbage can.

Lex350
07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Do you change your resume to suit the job you are applying for? By this I mean that you emphasis certain skills depending on the job you are seeking. Do you research the companies you are applying to? Interviewers want to know that you know something about the company.

Do you ever try and apply in person...even to companies that don't advertise a position. I've found that advertising a job these days brings you 100 crap resumes and 2 good ones. We use word of moth or a and employment agency/head hunter.

jdmcrx
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
All good advice in this thread so far. Job specific experience is the best advice so far though. I have worked as a 12V installer in Calgary and B.C., carpenter in Saskatchewan and now work in the patch working on a rig around Red Deer. When you apply to a company, don't bore them with the insignificant details of every job you have worked. Highlight the strengths you have for the position you are applying for and keep your resume short, sweet and to the point. One page is the best, as most HR people don't even flip the page if something on the first didn't catch their eye. And, Dangit, hit the pavement and show some initiative.

glennc
08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Every job I have applied for with the acception of one I have gotten. Say your applying for an automotive job at a dealer, at a parts store and at a lube stop. Every resume should be almost completly different. I make every resume specific for each job.

Also, its best to go in, in person, monday morning with your resume. This will show you are eager, ready and willing to be up early. Chances are if you go in person you will get a call back, and if you don't, call them!

One way to make your resume more appealing is to put in personal interests. Say your applying for a job as a mechanic or something, in your interests put that your into cars, fixing your own, ect. I just made a resume for forklift operator at a warehouse Im taking in next week and I am certified, but on my resume I put "I A P A" certified, its the safety academy I attended. Things like this will show an employer you dont just know what your doing, you took a government certifed course.

And I can emphasize enough, if they dont call you, call THEM!

frostyda9
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
Why am I having trouble finding a new career? I have been looking off and on for the past 3 months. I have had a number of interviews all the jobs I have been offered where like 12 or 14/ hour. I am prepared to take a step back, but that is too far back.

The pay scale for most trades (mechanic for example) is a structured regimen...that is to say: until you put in the requisite time at school, no company is going to pay you more than your level of training.

1st year: 50%
2nd year: 60%
3rd year: 70%
4th year:80%
Journeyman: 100%

nonofyobiz
08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree, this is all good advice.

I don't think u need a totally new resume for each job (if they are the same type of job), but it'd be a really good idea to tweak it for each company. Look at their website, and find some info on what kind of ppl they want there. Also make sure u have a cover letter unique to each company you apply to.

Taking your resume somewhere to get it professionally critiqued is a REALLY good idea, especially if you're having troubles finding the job you want. There are also interviewing skills / Technique course you can take. Sorry don't have any recommendations on where u can do this.

When you're looking at getting into a trade, you'll have to start around $12-$15/hr, and you'll probably be the b1tch, sweeping floors, cleaning etc. Hopefully after 3 to 6 months they'll offer you an apprenticeship. I'm tryin to break into welding right now and this is what i've learned.

pinoyhero
08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Keep in mind when being selective with what you chose to put on your resume that leaving things out will raise questions you may not get to answer. For examlpe if you put in your education but have gaps from graduation to your first showing job, the employer may imply that you just screwed around for a period of time.