PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer Advice

import_rider
07-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Some dude backed into my car and caused about $2000 damage. He gave me his DL# and contact info but did not have his insurance info on him.

I have tried to call this guy for a month straight and he will not return my calls.

Can someone tell me a good civil lawyer.

googe
07-29-2006, 07:39 AM
that would be a waste of money. report it to the cops and your insurance company. if youve got his name and license plate, thats enough to go on.

import_rider
07-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I have already filed a police report, unfortunetly they told me that I would have to track him down for the insurance part.

dj_rice
07-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by import_rider
I have already filed a police report, unfortunetly they told me that I would have to track him down for the insurance part.

Maybe the guy didnt even have any insurance at all???Hit and run

guessboi
07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Did you report it to your own insurance company?
if you just give them the driver's licence and contact info. that should do it!

Tyler883
07-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
Did you report it to your own insurance company?
if you just give them the driver's licence and contact info. that should do it!

sounds like maybe he didn't pay for that kind of coverage from his insurance company,

so now he has to bite the bullet on the $2000 or go through the hassle of taking the guy to court.

This is a lesson I've learned already so now I pay the few extra dollars, and my insurance company takes care of it all for me.

Toma
07-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Call YOUR insurance company.

import_rider
07-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Call YOUR insurance company.

I will give them a call on Monday.. Can anyone suggest a lawyer just in case

Weapon_R
07-29-2006, 08:47 PM
lol you want to hire a lawyer to recover $2000?

Good luck finding one who won't charge $2500 to waste thier time on something like that.

MrPid
07-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by import_rider

I will give them a call on Monday.. Can anyone suggest a lawyer just in case

Get the lawyer thing out of your head. Your retainer (the fee a lawyer asks for up front) will be more than your damages alone.

Contact your own insurance company. They will usually act on your behalf even if you don't have collision. In addition to this, there is a little known government program called the MVAC that deals with these exact situations that you might qualify to get money from.

The link to it is...

http://www.justice.gov.ab.ca/publications/default.aspx?id=4655

Good luck...

Tyler883
08-03-2006, 10:16 PM
take it to small claims court