PDA

View Full Version : Best chinese food in Calgary?

dino_martini
07-30-2006, 03:19 PM
In the mood for some Chinese food. Can anyone suggest a place preferbly take out but if its a sit down resturant thats cool too. Thanks.

sabad66
07-30-2006, 03:36 PM
A place in chinatown called Golden something, either Golden Palace or Golden Inn.

dj_rice
07-30-2006, 03:45 PM
U & Me, Sun Chui Kee(sp?), Bobby Chaus

Azn_Rice_Man
07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
A place in chinatown called Golden something, either Golden Palace or Golden Inn.

Golden Inn would be the one you've got in mind if it's on Centre Street and 2nd Ave SE.

Ajay
07-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Habour City in Chinatown or else Hawkwood Palace in Hawkwood.

AzN'SKillZ
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
U&ME

its downtown

EK 2.0
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
peking peking...:drool:

Team_Mclaren
07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
sun chee kee

BigDannyCool
07-30-2006, 08:42 PM
depends what kinda chinese food. most westernized chinese foods taste the same ie. fried rice, ginger beef, sweet and sour pork.

snade831
07-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

:thumbsup: their ginger beef is so good!

dj_rice
07-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
U & Me, Sun Chui Kee(sp?), Bobby Chaus

Just go with these recommendations....nothing else comes close :zzz:

herragge
07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Azn_Rice_Man

Golden Inn would be the one you've got in mind if it's on Centre Street and 2nd Ave SE.

I go to Golden Inn alot as well. I like the food there and its very fast.

Mike

ga16i
07-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Don't anyone say Silver Dragon, despite what Calgary Herald and their Consumer Choice stuff says. That place is crap.

HuMz
07-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Bill's is probably one of the better one's down south.

HoisinSauce
07-30-2006, 11:22 PM
where is bobby chaus?

liquidboi69
07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Habour City, Sun Chee Kee, and Regency

01RedDX
07-30-2006, 11:31 PM

A2VR6
07-31-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by HoisinSauce
where is bobby chaus?

Centre Street and 2nd Ave.

ga16i
07-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I believe it's actually Bobby Chaos, not Chaus on the sign.

Xtrema
07-31-2006, 08:49 AM
There are so many different style that I can guarantee different opinions will clash.

I can only speak for the North end.

Silver Inn - Centre St and ~ 30 Ave N.W.
Peking style, birth place of ginger beef, frequented by white people and the owner are racist against their own kind. Good food tho.

Ginger Beef - Sunridge Mall
Peking style, famous for peking duck

Central Grand - New Asia market
Typical cantonese fair, light

Sun's BBQ house - Centre st, 14th Ave inside Lamda
All kind of Asian crusine. Very consistant in quality but a bit noisy.

U & Me - Centre St, 3rd Ave
Pest central, how that place stay open is beyond me.

Bobby Chao's - Centre St, 2nd Ave
Has some special dishes that you won't get elsewhere is it's quite good.

Pavilion - Hawkwood by Husky
Small little place with pretty good food. But I believe it got shut down by health inspector. At least that's what I think I saw while I'm picking up my take out.

sputnik
07-31-2006, 09:41 AM
Didn't Grand Isle close down years ago?

Personally I like Peking Garden up in Varsity. Their peking duck is the best that I have had in the city.

jaysas_63
07-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ga16i
Don't anyone say Silver Dragon, despite what Calgary Herald and their Consumer Choice stuff says. That place is crap.

whats wrong with silver dragon.....i actually enjoy their food, one of the few chinese restaurants that i don't feel sick when i leave

HRD2PLZ
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Golden Inn isn't bad... at 2am :rofl:

to echo others, Sun Chui Kee (Sun's BBQ House) :thumbsup: and Ginger Beef (I think they have 2 Calgary locations) for the Western Chinese stuff...

Xtrema
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Personally I like Peking Garden up in Varsity. Their peking duck is the best that I have had in the city.

Corrected.

Peking Garden was good but not my last 2 visits and that was a couple years ago.

Originally posted by jaysas_63

whats wrong with silver dragon.....i actually enjoy their food, one of the few chinese restaurants that i don't feel sick when i leave

Nothing wrong with Silver Dragon for me either. Unless it's the one in Banff. That place sux.

foos_guy
07-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Small little place with pretty good food. But I believe it got shut down by health inspector. At least that's what I think I saw while I'm picking up my take out. [/B]

mmm... don't think so. I live a few blocks away and I'm pretty sure it's still open. There was another owner/restaurant there previous to Pavillion and they closed down years ago and Pavillion has been there since.

Food is pretty good there, good for congee and fried noodles on the weekends.:thumbsup:

max_boost
07-31-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Originally posted by snade831

:thumbsup: their ginger beef is so good!

Discounts for the both of you.

Anyway, it's hard to say which is the best but you'll find that most of the ones in the Chinatown/DT area that are already mentioned to be very consistent in their flavours.

heavyD
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM

Small little place with pretty good food. But I believe it got shut down by health inspector. At least that's what I think I saw while I'm picking up my take out.

Dude, that's the absolute worst Chinese food I've ever had. We ate half our portions and tossed the rest in the garbage. Everything had a layer of slime on it. That food made Foody Goodies look like gourmet.

Edit: That was a couple of years ago before they shut down so possibly new ownership serves edible food.:dunno:

eur0
07-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Bill's is probably one of the better one's down south.

I agree, can't go wrong with Bill's...best in the south for sure...Actually I'm eating some right now haha

D'z Nutz
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
I believe it's actually Bobby Chaos, not Chaus on the sign.

Yeah, it's Bobby Chao's. This place fucken rocks, though I haven't had their food since they moved to their present location.

Is that the place next to the (now defunct) Baskin Robins? I love that place. I've only been there during weekend lunches when they have peking chicken; I don't think I've tried the duck.

sh0ko
07-31-2006, 12:35 PM

wasnt that the place that had to be temporarily closed down due to sanitary issues?! or am i thinking of this other restaurant in chinatown...hmmm haha fly to vancouver to get good chinese food! but id hafta say sun chiu kee is one of the better ones in calgary

sputnik
07-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah, it's Bobby Chao's. This place fucken rocks, though I haven't had their food since they moved to their present location.

Had Bobby Chao's for lunch today. So damn good.

6 people + 5 plates + food leftover = $35

sputnik
07-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Is that the place next to the (now defunct) Baskin Robins? I love that place. I've only been there during weekend lunches when they have peking chicken; I don't think I've tried the duck.

It is next to the (now defunct) Fanny's Fabrics. I dont remember if there was a Baskin Robins there or not.

dj_rice
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by HoisinSauce
where is bobby chaus?

Right beside U & Me almost

dj_rice
07-31-2006, 01:51 PM

Had Bobby Chao's for lunch today. So damn good.

6 people + 5 plates + food leftover = $35

Seems pretty cheap....everytime I've tried to go there its always damn busy and lineups, worth a 1 hr wait, I dunno yet, and they need some AC in there...hot as a mother up in there

Oz-
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
+1 for Bobby Chao's

Last time we went, had to order the food quite a few days before. It was some special order food and they don't stock it normally. Great.

Golden Inn is good, but the price is way too expensive. Seems that they crept up on price to match Silver Dragon.

Couple of other ones that aren't too bad but I forget the names.

16th ave and Centre Street. NE corner. Beside the bridal/tux shop.

16th ave and Edmonton Trail. NE side. One strip mall west of Juliets Castle.

Apparently a new owner & cook for both places.

GDCivicSi
07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
No doubt about it.

Golden Inn is by far the best chinese restaurant in Calgary. :thumbsup:

107 2nd Avenue SE
Chinatown. South East.
(403) 269-2211

Dine In, Take Out, and Delivery.

adam c
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
depends on ur location

The one in deerfoot mall is good
golden inn
silver dragon
U & me if u like dimsum (not a fan)
john wongs (elbow drive)

WWJAI
07-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Oz-

Couple of other ones that aren't too bad but I forget the names.

16th ave and Centre Street. NE corner. Beside the bridal/tux shop.

16th ave and Edmonton Trail. NE side. One strip mall west of Juliets Castle.

The one beside the tux is always so busy whenever i look inside but i've never tried it. But by the amount of chinese ppl eating there always, i'd assume it should be good and I don't know the name neither. I also don't know the name of the one beside edmonton trail but I think this one is really good. Its the one i most frequently go eat at if i ever eat chinese.

There's also one on center st and around 12th ave called happy hill...i think this one isn't too bad.

Kritafo
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Happy Hill is owned by the same people as Happy Valley. BBQ duck taste different though at Happy Hill, as it sits in steamers instead of hung. mmm bbq duck

I also love Calgary Court. They have great baked pork chop in rice and tomato sauce. I like their congee as well, I just don't like to pay for congee!

on the upside, they dungeon like hall to the bathroom are all bright and cheery now.

Kritafo

dj_rice
07-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by GDCivicSi
No doubt about it.

Golden Inn is by far the best chinese restaurant in Calgary. :thumbsup:

107 2nd Avenue SE
Chinatown. South East.
(403) 269-2211

Dine In, Take Out, and Delivery.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsdow

Its only good if your drunk and its 2am or after :rolleyes:

Xtrema
07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Dude, that's the absolute worst Chinese food I've ever had. We ate half our portions and tossed the rest in the garbage. Everything had a layer of slime on it. That food made Foody Goodies look like gourmet.

Edit: That was a couple of years ago before they shut down so possibly new ownership serves edible food.:dunno:

Last one was bad, this one is good.

Originally posted by foos_guy

mmm... don't think so. I live a few blocks away and I'm pretty sure it's still open. There was another owner/restaurant there previous to Pavillion and they closed down years ago and Pavillion has been there since.

Food is pretty good there, good for congee and fried noodles on the weekends.:thumbsup:

Well, I didn't here it clearly being a few tables away but the conversation went sometthing like this:

Health Inspector: So here's the report, here, here.
Waitress: ok
HI: So what are you going to do?
Waitress: We'll probably take a few weeks off and go vacation
HI: Ok, but make sure sure get XXXXX before get back into the food business.

He said very softly @ xxxxxx but almost sounds like they are being shut down.

Looks like a surprised visit too. Because Sun's BBQ seems to have tips when HI visits.

brandon
08-01-2006, 02:05 AM
In all honesty I love Peking Peking, not just because Sam. I think the food is amazing.

heavyD
08-01-2006, 07:57 AM

Last one was bad, this one is good.

Well, I didn't here it clearly being a few tables away but the conversation went sometthing like this:

Health Inspector: So here's the report, here, here.
Waitress: ok
HI: So what are you going to do?
Waitress: We'll probably take a few weeks off and go vacation
HI: Ok, but make sure sure get XXXXX before get back into the food business.

He said very softly @ xxxxxx but almost sounds like they are being shut down.

Looks like a surprised visit too. Because Sun's BBQ seems to have tips when HI visits.

I'm a little concerned. You say they serve good food but they are obviously doing something unsanitary there to be shut down. I've seen some real grease pits that remained in business so you have to be pretty bad to be shut down.

nonsane
08-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

I'm a little concerned. You say they serve good food but they are obviously doing something unsanitary there to be shut down. I've seen some real grease pits that remained in business so you have to be pretty bad to be shut down.

For sure. My gf worked at pizza delight in evergreen and it was so dirty and unsanity. (employees picking stuff off the floor) She ended up quitting because it was so gross(She's a neat freak).

My favourite (i'll say asian because i don't know for sure) asian food is salt+pepper squid at Ho Wans downtown. There is another restaurant that is in evergreen that does it very well too.

Whey2Juiced
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Tiki Ming
Manchu Wok

Bwhaha

adam c
08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by nonsane

For sure. My gf worked at pizza delight in evergreen and it was so dirty and unsanity. (employees picking stuff off the floor) She ended up quitting because it was so gross(She's a neat freak).

My favourite (i'll say asian because i don't know for sure) asian food is salt+pepper squid at Ho Wans downtown. There is another restaurant that is in evergreen that does it very well too.

i ordered pizza from there once.. worst pizza i have ever had and now i can see why

DepTrotter
08-01-2006, 04:32 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsdow

Its only good if your drunk and its 2am or after :rolleyes:

GHAHAHA

I WENT THERE ONCE.. and i was stoned out of my mind (stopped since then(if you care))... and honestly that was the best china food ever, i was making soooo much noise and sounds it was a good time...the take out food is bad though i hate places that seperate the sauce from the meat, YUCKIES

dj_rice
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter

and honestly that was the " best china food ever"

Are you a racist or something?:guns: :guns: :whipped: :whipped: White supremist?

01RedDX
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM

DepTrotter
08-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Are you a racist or something?:guns: :guns: :whipped: :whipped: White supremist?

what would give you that notion?

i have tonnes of asian friends dude...

silbergrau330
08-02-2006, 02:07 PM
The Dragon Pearl. Havent been there in years but it used to be phenominal! Located downtown, not too far from blackfoot, near Calgary Home Appliance Center and the original Spolumbos sausage shop!

dj_rice
08-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter

what would give you that notion?

i have tonnes of asian friends dude...

Ummm did you re-read your post carefully.."it was the best China food you ever had"...China food....hmmmmmmm that doesnt sound racist at all to me...pfft what do I care....I'm a nammer so oh wells :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DepTrotter
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
i dont know why that sounds bad?... but anyways

mmm

ginga beef

HybridTheory
08-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Anyone been to Gong Kee in Forest Lawn near Lucky Supermarket? The place might be ghetto but damn I love their chow mein and sweet and sour pork.

dj_rice
08-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Anyone been to Gong Kee in Forest Lawn near Lucky Supermarket? The place might be ghetto but damn I love their chow mein and sweet and sour pork.

With asian restaurants...or pho places also, the more ghetto, the more authentic and better it tastes...ghetto is like a seasoning...sorta like MSG...

01RedDX
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM

dino_martini
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I ended up going to Charlie Chans in Kensington. It was pretty good, try their chicken.. :drool:

max_boost
08-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by brandon
In all honesty I love Peking Peking, not just because Sam. I think the food is amazing.

:D

Originally posted by HybridTheory

Oh man, old school. I use to love that place. Forest Lawn High School lunch hour and then off to Lucky's for some Pro-Line haha

EK 2.0
08-02-2006, 11:39 PM
I've said it before and I will say it again...

Peking Peking...:drool:

black_2.5RS
08-03-2006, 01:27 AM
If you don't mind shady looking places. Check out Ho Won in Chinatown for dinner (crap for dim sum). Make sure you get the salt / paper squid - best in town. :thumbsup:

HiSpec
08-12-2006, 12:25 AM
westernized chinese food is crap.
an insult to chinese cooking!!!

But yeah, the best chinese food is probably the ones you get from home cooking.

Gurpy
08-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Where is peking peking anyways? Is it a take out type or sit down place?

Sprinter
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Golden Inn was alright... its fun when you and a bunch of your "stoned-out-of-their-mind" friends go there, make alot of noise, ask for water every 5 mins and order craploads of fried rice and ginger beef :thumbsup:

Best Chinese I've had so far was at Gong Kee... ghetto as hell but tasty food :drool:

Kritafo
08-16-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't that Ho Wan has the best salt and pepper squid just the biggest portions. I do love it from Calgary Court and Happy Valley.

Kritafo

dj_rice
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I don't that Ho Wan has the best salt and pepper squid just the biggest portions. I do love it from Calgary Court and Happy Valley.

Kritafo

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: Calgary Court :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

lint
08-16-2006, 04:14 PM

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: Calgary Court :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

A cockroach shot out of the AC unit before and landed on my friend's hand when we were having lunch. Sit far away from the AC....

clem24
08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Honestly, I think every place is gonna have it's unsanitary moments. It's just that the Chinese places just don't hide it well.

In any case, +1 for Bobby Chao's. Edgemont Palace is decent. And the Pavilion in Hawkwood has been under "new management" for a few weeks now. Went there and it was quite good and very reasonably priced (although I think it goes downhill from here cause they're in the "get new customers" phase).

Personally, I think most Chinese in Calgary sucks. Greasy as hell, super low quality ingredients. I *never* go to a Chinese restaurant unless it's with my parents or in laws (both *never* go to non-Chinese restaurants). Or unless one of my gwai loh friends want to go.

I think the award for absolutely nastiest Chinese restaurant had to go to Hung Fung when they had that little eatery next door before it goes converted to be part of the store. My dad's first bowl of noodles had a cockroach, so it got sent back. The second bowl that came out also had a cockroach. :barf: Thankfully that place is history.