PDA

View Full Version : what's it worth?

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
First off - I'm from Manitoba but people out here are very disrespective when you ask questions like this, I've been observing this forum for the past few days and everyone seems so friendly and happy.

I've considered selling my car, I know there aren't too many of them around and I absolutely love my car and all - but I recently got married and bought a house so money is sort of an issue right now.

I've got a 1995 Toyota Celica GT with 122000 miles on it (the car is from the states). I just got a brand new paint job, with removal of all rust & dents, the car is now diamond white pearl (car originally was white but got hail damage so thought I would choose a nicer white). The paint looks unreal in person, pictures do not do it justice.

It's got brand new 17x7 enkei rsv's in bronze with nankang rubber, newer (last year) cv joints/axles/boots, gt-four spoiler raiser blocks, genuine HKS hi-power stainless steel muffler, b&g lowering springs (1.6" drop all around), and kyb gr-2 shocks.

Just looking for some feedback as to what a good asking price would be.

Thanks in advance!

-Krysten

Here's a few pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/luckystar091/P5200018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/luckystar091/P5200021.jpg

Weapon_R
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Looks like its in good shape, but its got high miles and its a GT. I'd say around 9k

Anton
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 95gtchick
First off - I'm from Manitoba but people out here are very disrespective when you ask questions like this, I've been observing this forum for the past few days and everyone seems so friendly and happy.

Why do you come here and ask us to do your research for you? And you're calling us gay while you're at it????

:D :D I'm just joking.

I say it's worth around $8,000 because even though it does have new paint, most buyers will think that it was in an accident or the rust problem was really huge that you had to fix/repaint the whole body.

It is a beautiful car though!

Crymson
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
What did the paint run you? It looks well done.

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I had $1700 paid for by insurance, and I paid almost $3k on top of that because of the 2 colors of pearl and it was done by a VERY good painted (25+ yrs experience)

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Anton

Why do you come here and ask us to do your research for you? And you're calling us gay while you're at it????

:D :D I'm just joking.

I say it's worth around $8,000 because even though it does have new paint, most buyers will think that it was in an accident or the rust problem was really huge that you had to fix/repaint the whole body.

It is a beautiful car though!

hmm.. i dunno, i think it's worth more than that. and if people would think that i would just show them my insurance claim (hail damage). besides, the paint job cost me almost $3k on top of what the insurance paid, and I paid $8k for the car originally and by getting rid of the rust/dents and not even putting on 17000km's in 2 years I think it's worth a little more than $8. last year before i got it repainted and tried selling it, i had numerous offers for $11k. These cars are rare, around here anyway. There's only like 9 or 10 in Manitoba and I've seen stock ones with 160,000 km's go for $14000. I was thinking mine would be around the $11k or $11500. But maybe I was wrong. i dunno.

Crymson
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
It would see, from what i've observed that a repaint, mabey allows you to add 20-50% of what you paid for it. But new paint, doesn't add as much to the value of a car than miserable paint takes away from it.

QuasarCav
07-31-2006, 02:25 PM
What it's worth and what people will pay for it are two different things.

It might be worth 12K, but people would only pay 8 for it.

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
very true. thanks for the replies guys.

Anton
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
If it's rare and it looks good put a FS sign on the windows. If it attracts attention and people do want one because there aren't too many of them, they will buy it for $11,000. Especially since if there are only 10 there, they won't have much selection.

List it for $11,000, no harm in trying.

rc2002
07-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
What it's worth and what people will pay for it are two different things.

It might be worth 12K, but people would only pay 8 for it.

:werd: And if you want to sell it soon, you'll have to lower the price even more. If you're willing to wait for the right buyer you might be able to get 9k.

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
well that's the thing, i don't "need" to sell it. so if i were to list it, i probably wouldn't drop the price quick to get rid of it because i don't need to. i was just wondering what it's worth or what a good asking price would be for it.

thanks though.

Anton
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I think you're trying really hard to not get too defensive. We're not trying to be assholes and putting down your car.

We would pay around 8-9 for it but we know our cars and know what they are worth. Some daddy's girl/boy might not even think twice and dish out $11,000 for it.

95gtchick
07-31-2006, 07:59 PM
sorry :/ i do appreciate your feedback though.

TEAMFaint
07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Let me start off by saying GORGEOUS 6th gen.

Unfortunately I dont think you will get anymore than 10 for the car, however if you dropped in a 3SGTE you could nearly get $13,000 for it.

jaysas_63
07-31-2006, 08:17 PM
well in all of western canada the two cheapest are in BC and are both going for over 9 (only 7 are listed in all of western canada)

in alberta the cheapest is going for 9,400 and has 220,000km

none are for sale in manitoba, so i would say 11,000 isn't too far off of the market value of the car

this is all according to canadatrader, but should be a good indication of what your car is worth.

TEAMFaint
07-31-2006, 08:32 PM
But do you ever wonder why those cars are still on the autotrader? Overpriced.

A buddy of mine picked up his 94 for $5000. 224,000 kms, power everything, 5 spd, dual exhaust. Very nice car.

MrPid
07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
An absolutely beautiful car...except for the wing. (Sorry - it just looks disproportional to me as if it's not supposed to be there).

It's worth whatever somebody's willing to pay for it of course. If you're not in a hurry - start high and work your way to a figure you can live with...

AzN'SKillZ
07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
most of us are in calgary. that might make a difference in how much ur car might be worth to us.:dunno:

but u did mention before that ppl made offers around 11k . and if ur not in a rush to sell it. i would think listing it for a little higher would be alright. im sure the right buyer will come along sometime.

95gtchick
08-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by MrPid
An absolutely beautiful car...except for the wing. (Sorry - it just looks disproportional to me as if it's not supposed to be there).

It's worth whatever somebody's willing to pay for it of course. If you're not in a hurry - start high and work your way to a figure you can live with...

actually... the wing is factory on the 6th gen gt-fours in europe (exact same body style as me...) so it kinda is supposed to be there, but each to their own.

pinoyhero
08-01-2006, 07:42 AM
I think the car looks great but the new paint will turn off some buyers as will the fact that it is an American car. I would think you could fetch about 7500 at best which is unfortunate given how much work you out into it. Tri selling it here aswell though once you decide to get rid of it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I think you could get 11,000 for that in Alberta. I have no idea what Manitoba's market it like. Alberta is the most expensive place to buy a car in Canada.

For your mods, the best you can expect to do is maybe 20% return on your money, and only if the buyer wants them and likes what you've done. If their after a stock car, and yours fits the bill otherwise, they will not even acknowledge the mods.

As for the paint, I really don't think you can charge extra for bringing the car back up to spec (removing dents/rust/repaint). I realize you put a nicer paint on there and it looks great but I doubt anyone will be willing to pay for it. Factory paint is always best, and it is very easy to spend $10,000+ on a true, outstanding paint job. At that point you could likely get a little extra, but not for a regular paint job.

Good luck with the sale - I would list it in western canada too. I don't think anyone will care its a US car, but who knows.

Mark

95gtchick
08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
the only way you can tell it's a US car is because the speedometer is in miles... other than that... nope. when it does come time to sell, I probably will list it in western canada as well as out here. I was just in Alberta 2 weeks ago and I was amazed and how many freaking nice cars there are everywhere, then you come back here and there's just shitboxes everywhere... rusted out vans/chevy trucks/cavaliers.... etc... you never see nice cars out here. i'm the only one who owns a 6th gen celica in my town, and the 4 towns surrounding me. no one knows what it is because it's debadged - i've had so many people ask me if it's a supra, lol.

WALKER
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Krysten,

Your not selling it, that will be sad!

Guess we won't see you around 6gc anymore if you get rid of the car!

If you do sell, good luck with the sale.

As for price, go to canadatrader and look up other 6th gens and compare to get an idea of prices.

95gtchick
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
i don't know if i'm gonna sell - but i am selling the raiser blocks for sure, already have someone interested. so no more big spoiler :)