PDA

View Full Version : Banking?

snoop101
07-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey guys so I thought that I would start a thread that has to do with Everyday banking.

So far I have been with Royal Bank all my life and im pretty sick and tired of all there crap.

Really bad banking hours, charge you and arm and a leg for everything and there rates are so bad I cant belive it.

I have been thinking of moving to another bank. So far I have pined it down to two. Td and BMO. I seem to like BMO. (and the small perk of getting air miles :D )

asuth077
07-31-2006, 07:28 PM
I have a Royal Account (since I was 5) and tried TD and didn't like it either. So now I save with TD and everyday bank with Royal.

I do all online banking so I only complain when they screw up.

69cougar
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
TD

danno
07-31-2006, 09:02 PM
I've been with royal bank forever, but switched most of my stuff over to ATB, cause my boyfriend is there, and thats where we have our mortgage through.

I really like them. No monthly fees if you can keep $500 in your account, and very friendly and helpful.

Only down fall is that there isn't a ton of ATB ATM machines around... but other than that, i recommend them.

HybridTheory
07-31-2006, 10:04 PM
If you don't want to pay any service fees and you use your debit card often then I would suggest going to PC Financial. Also, the rate on the savings account is 4% on any balance over $1000 which is alright. And PC is joined with CIBC so you can take out money from either a PC machine or CIBC one.

However, the downfall with PC is that they don't have any branches. All they have are those little kiosks that are in the Superstores. Sometimes it can take forever to talk to someone especially because most of the time there is only 1 or 2 people working. For telephone service, they're alright, sometimes the wait can be long but I haven't had any major problems with it.

I've had my with PC for about 7 years and I haven't really run into any major problems with them. If you like to mainly just use online banking or telephone banking then I would say PC is the way to go. But if you like to do your banking within the branch, I would say that Scotiabank or TD would be a good choice.

FiveFreshFish
07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
I switched from RBC to TD about 10 years ago. :thumbsup:

AzN'SKillZ
07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
had td all my life no complains about them

but i dont really hav any other experience to compare with

69cougar
08-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
I would say that Scotiabank or TD would be a good choice.

Isnt Scotia only open 10 till 3?

Unknown303
08-01-2006, 06:51 AM
I thought scotie had one of the better hours out of the banks. My parents are through scotia and they seemed to be liking it. But who knows don't see them that often.

My girlfriend and I are both at CIBC but i won't give them a thumbs up. :thumbsup: for TD in my opinion

joyridder
08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
I have been w/ Scotia for over 10 yrs. Fair bank to deal with, just a fews things like hours etc could be improved on. The only thing that really is annoying is like this past pay period, my direct deposit went through on Monday instead of friday at midnight.
Anyone use ING for Savings??

accord885
08-01-2006, 09:49 AM
RBC for me. thier new unlimited plan. Also have there Avion Visa which i like. got a free trip to cuba from two years worth of points!

Tried TD and Scotia. Hated them both.

EDIT: Just started my ING account for savings. Thier Customer service centre is great! No automated bs just a person right away!

TimG
08-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I've been with TD for a LONG time. I started with Central guarantee, which was bought by canada trust, which was bought by TD. TD has been a great bank for me.

i also recently opened an ING savings account which is nice also.

?????
08-01-2006, 09:54 AM
I was with Royal my whole life but got tired of paying so much fees for everything. But i still have a student visa with them whch expires soon.

Now i'm with Scotia been with them for a few years and i have no complaints. They could work on their hours but everything else is great. I do most of my banking online anyways so hours arn't too big of a deal for me.

nismodrifter
08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I have been with Royal Bank since age of 5 (opened a Leo Savers account and got $5 free woo! haha).

I bank for free, have a huge line of credit, VISA gold, tellers are SUPER friendly and know you by first name, account manager knows what she is talking about.

Overall: :thumbsup:

air_mikey
08-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Switch over to Td and get a shuffle, get a gold visa and get a Nano. :thumbsup:

Ive been with TD all of my life and its awesome. Good banking hours too.

You can get the same treatment as nismodrifter (everyone knowing you by a first name basis) if you go to the same branch occasionally and not just the middle and end of the month.

btw, if you havent noticed, I do work for TD but only as a teller.

Thaco
08-01-2006, 10:11 AM
I've been with CIBC for all my life, never had a problem, most the branches are open saturdays, and extended hours on thurs fri. And they have no fee cash machines in most 7-11 and macs stores.

I pay $13 a month flat rate for unlimited transactions, seems very fair to me. They've been there for me all the times i needed them, However i will not be taking my mortgage through them (unless they'll match the ING interest rate)

adam c
08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
ive gone back and forth during the years.

canada trust
then TD
then canada trust again
then TD Canada Trust
now i have a ATB and TD account, both have their perks and downfalls, i work for ATB so i get stuff for reduced and free. TD has done some stupid crap to my account before but w/e

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I banked with Royal my whole life, the only thing I use them for now is the Platinum Avion card and Savings.

My day-to-day banking is split between CIBC and TD (don't ask LOL). I like them both, the hours at TD are great.

snoop101
08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Anyone use BMO?

snade831
08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Royal Bank is open on Saturdays now. :thumbsup:

Hanzo
08-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm on BMO, and if you keep $1500+ on ur chequing acct, u dont have to pay any monthly fees. Plus u get lots of airmiles too!

been with BMO since I was 10.

Xtrema
08-01-2006, 04:31 PM
RBC, $0 fee, unlimited everything. Don't ask me how, I don't know.

TD, $0 fee, 2 ATM transaction a month

CIBC, $0 fee, don't know what comes with it since I have some money but never used it from this account

Ajay
08-01-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm with CIBC and I have no complaints with them. I also pay $13/month and have unlimited transactions with my chequing account. They're quite efficient if I ever want to change anything regarding my banking (i.e. credit limit, RRSP, GIC).

Only problem I have with CIBC is their Student Loan Dept. I sent in my paperwork informing them I'm still in school and they for whatever reason didn't process it (twice) so now I'm paying back one of my loans.

Other than that CIBC is awesome for me!