PDA

View Full Version : Classic Canadian Food Restaurant...

Davetronz
04-16-2003, 09:42 AM
Ok everyone, not sure how to word this topic, but interpret it as you will.

A friend of mine has been in Canada for 3-1/2 months, he is heading back to China in two weeks for the summer break. Before he leaves he wants to go for some "classic canadian food" at a restaurant.

He wants me to pick the restaurant, and a few guys from class, our girlfriends and him and a friend will be going for dinner...

Being the guailo that I am, I am not sure how to ..... pick... a classic canadian restaurant...

What would you guys think would be a good place to take a person who is not from here that isnt too expensive, and preferably in the north.
And nothing fast food, or trashy...

Dave

Stratus_Power
04-16-2003, 09:48 AM
there's no such thing as classic canadian food ;p haha jk i dont know.. Red Lobsters?

hjr
04-16-2003, 09:52 AM
In edmonton? Find a good perogie hut and pig out. Kubasaw too.

mustang
04-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Steak House.....

rayray
04-16-2003, 09:59 AM
haha... my cousins from the Vegas came up to visit and wanted me to do the same thing... Canadian food for cheap. i had no clue where to bring them. we ended up at Swiss Chalet of all places!

classic Canadian dishes at a fancy restaurant would probably have some sort of game meat on it... like Bison or Quail or something. or maybe some fish from the coast. but those kinda things can get pricey and are seasonal.

-rayray

sillyd
04-16-2003, 10:58 AM
go for the alberta beef man! go to the keg or something and have steak

5.9 R/T
04-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Salmon!

Melinda
04-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Perkins or Dennys...lol get some good old canadian back bacon :thumbsup:

Melinda

T5_X
04-16-2003, 11:04 AM
give him a stick of beef jerky

RC-Cola
04-16-2003, 11:26 AM
I agree with the wild game, unfortunately your not going to find too many restaurants that are cheap. Maybe try going to the River Cafe for lunch instead of dinner...

If you want the ulimate Canadian cuisine expreince take them to the Grizzly House in Banff for lunch and have a wild game hot rock:thumbsup:

Ben
04-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Smugglers or something man...thats good shiet

Stratus_Power
04-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Smugglers Inn is a vERY VERY good place! good alberta Beef rite there.. but its also far from cheap..

Ben
04-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
Smugglers Inn is a vERY VERY good place! good alberta Beef rite there.. but its also far from cheap..

pffft, you only live once.

GTS Jeff
04-16-2003, 12:31 PM
smugglers isnt expensive for what u get...their prime rib is madd tite y0! str8 ballin'

gpomp
04-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

Smuggler's sucks. Caesar's is better.

Superesc
04-16-2003, 12:45 PM
I took my cousin from HK to Red Lobster.

jdmakkord
04-16-2003, 01:26 PM
quincy's steak house downtown!

szw
04-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Smugglers inn isn't in the north, but its still not that expensive.

And you can get full on the all you can eat stuff then take your dinner home..hahahaha

B17a
04-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Smuggler's sucks? Are you going to the same Smuggler's I've been going to? Owner and Friend cut of prime rib? Damn that's good shit!!! :thumbsup:

Killumanti
04-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sillyd
go for the alberta beef man! go to the keg or something and have steak

:werd:
Wendy's? :dunno:

speedyalero
04-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
Ok everyone, not sure how to word this topic, but interpret it as you will.

A friend of mine has been in Canada for 3-1/2 months, he is heading back to China in two weeks for the summer break. Before he leaves he wants to go for some "classic canadian food" at a restaurant.

He wants me to pick the restaurant, and a few guys from class, our girlfriends and him and a friend will be going for dinner...

Being the guailo that I am, I am not sure how to ..... pick... a classic canadian restaurant...

What would you guys think would be a good place to take a person who is not from here that isnt too expensive, and preferably in the north.
And nothing fast food, or trashy...

Dave

Oh Canada -- downtown in the Nexen Building (7th and 8th AVE)

Ben
04-16-2003, 03:01 PM

WTF yu smokin? its not 4:20 yet!

Caesars is good, but Smugglers is definatly worthy.

szw
04-16-2003, 03:02 PM
If you wanna go cheap, go to the Great Canadian Bagel. haha

Ajay
04-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Yah I'm gonna agree with everyone else...take him out for some Alberta beef! Tough to say what's good Canadian food cause if you were in BC I'm sure people would say fish and if you were in Quebec I'm sure people would say poutines!

But since you're in Calgary....go with the steak! Smugglers in my opinion is AWESOME....peppercorn baby! That's where it's at....and it DEFINIETLY is worth the cash!

Stratus_Power
04-16-2003, 04:30 PM
OH yeh definitly forgot mention ( well szw kinda did). At Smugglers there are all you can eat soup and salade so you can definitly fill up on the soup and salade and pack the steak for another day hahaa ( man their Steak soup are sooooooooooooooooooo good)

Its not cheap, not super expansivebut it is DEFINITLY worth it :D

* when my relatives from HK, Utah and Australia came to visit us we took them to Smugglers.. no complain from them wat so ever!

FiveFreshFish
04-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mustang
Steak House.....

:werd:

Hy's is good!

Ferio_vti
04-16-2003, 05:40 PM

You can't even compare the two. Caesar's is a steak house, while Smuggler's does Prime rib. Smuggler's has a salad bar, Caesar's is stuck in the '70's with their tacky velvet lined decor.

Take them to Peter's Drive In.

Weapon_R
04-16-2003, 06:46 PM
I really like "Mother Tuckers" for prime rib.

The atmosphere is NOTHING that you would experience in China, so it'd be something to remember. Dinners are around 25-30/person, so it isn't really cheap, but it is definately something that won't be forgotten in a long long time.

Davetronz
04-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Hmmmm steak sounds like a good route...
Now this might also be a dumb question but since I am a silly guailo I will ask away. I have heard that some/most Asian people who live in China do NOT eat beef? I guess I should find out if he is down with the beef (I am not) or if chicken/seafood (which I am also not down with either cus I am a veg.) is the better bet!

Oh and if anyone knows, how early should I get him to the airport for his flight back to China. I have never gone overseas in a plane before, so it would be nice to know.

Ben
04-16-2003, 07:46 PM
be there at least 2 hours before flight.

Phats
04-16-2003, 08:26 PM
sometimes 3 but that is just so you can get your seats, likely the flights to china will be pretty empty at this time so you could get away with just an hour

Davetronz
04-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Ok good news he will eat beef, chicken or seafood they are his "famous" food as he says...
So the steakhouse idea works! Now I just have to find a place that has enough for two vegetarians to also eat at! :D

Stratus_Power
04-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Smuggler's inn man!!! all you can eat salad/soup.. hows that for vegetarian!

three.eighteen.
04-16-2003, 11:43 PM

:werd: the steak at caesar's is pretty fackin amazing

GTS Jeff
04-17-2003, 12:03 AM
smugglers > ceasars

Luke 96 T/A
04-17-2003, 12:09 AM
I like steak more than prime rib.. And I like the tacky decor of Caesers ;-)
Soo.. I say Caesers!!
Grizzly House is also AWESOME!! :-)
I can gaurantee that the steak you get here is like NOTHING he'll get back in China...

Or maybe Tim Hortons???
heheheh