PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question about Riding season.

minui
07-31-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi all, I'm looking to get a bike.
I would just like to ask what the general riding season is in calgary.
mar-oct? apr-sept? ect

because I won't be able to get a bike till about early sept and was wondering if it would be a bit late, leaving not much time to ride.

thanks guys

BlueGoblin
07-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Calgary being Calgary, it becomes a little hard to say. To a certain degree it comes down to how 'hardcore' you are about the weather and cold.

When I got my first bike, it was my only form of transportation. I had it out at least once every month of the year, riding whenever the snow pack was off the main roads.

I am not nearly so crazy now; nevertheless I will ride heavily into mid-October, and then not fully 'put the bike away' until the cold really sets in late November. I will normally start riding again, snow dependent, sometime in March. It's no fun riding to work, say, on a nice clear morning, only to be surprised by a snowstorm just before going home time.

I did go out once for a ride when I was about 18 when it was just below -30', just to say that I had done it. It involved letting the oil drip out of the bike for a couple days and then reheating it on a campstove before pouring it back into the bike and firing it up - an old bush pilot trick.