PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Companies

Ajay
07-31-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm just wondering what companies some of you people are using? I just purchased a 2002 WRX and I went to transfer my insurance from my Civic to the WRX today. The agent told me that my insurance for the WRX would be $2439/6 months thus being $4878 per year. I'm currently with the Co-Operators.

I did some online quotes with TD Insurance and RBC Insurance and RBC quoted me at $2720/yr and TD quoted me at $2920/yr. Recently I did have an at fault minor fender bender in which both my car and the other party's car was fixed under my insurance. I put this along with a speeding ticket I received last year, along with a comprehensive claim I had about 2.5 years ago in the details when I obtained my RBC and TD quote. Does it seem accurate that my existing insurance company is trying to charge me double or are my online quotes somewhat skewed?

Either way I'm just looking to see what other companies are out there and people's experiences with them and what type of rates they pay. I guess the way it works with Co-Operators when you claim an accident against your insurance it drops your rating back down to 0 which I was not told when I made my claim. This caused me to drop from a 6 to a 0.

AzN'SKillZ
07-31-2006, 10:43 PM
print those online quoats and take them into ur current insurence company and ask them y u are paying double. if they are not willing to negotiat then go check out those other insurence companys that quoated u. and decide wich company is best.

yellowsnow
07-31-2006, 10:48 PM
stupid insurance companies... i'm guessing you're still under 25? Your best bet would be to call ever single insurance company in the phone book until you find the best quote. i'm afraid you'll have to pay a whole lot more than your civic though.. gotta pay to play!

try statefarm, primmum, ama...

leec001
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
The co-operator charges higher, same as mines.
I would say the service and coverage is better than TD and RBC. You have to wait 30 min to talk to a customer service (phone) ......... If you have multi-line insurance with the co-operator, they will give u a special huge deal.

e.g. Home + car + life insurance will be about 1/3 off.

adam c
08-01-2006, 08:16 AM
im with ING.. it was the cheapest one i found for my car and im still paying 274.50 a month :thumbsdow
1 ticket
no at fault claims
still under 25

Crymson
08-01-2006, 08:22 AM
I think the under 25 thing was tossed out the window when they revamped the insurace system in alberta and replaced with the equivalent, less than 5 years of consecutive insurance.

yellowsnow
08-01-2006, 08:28 AM
^^ nope, i'm 24 right now, and my insurance company said when i turn 25 i can expect my insurance to go down by 1/2! been insured since i was 16

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm 21 and I pay $15xx/year or about $130/month for insurance. I'm with Meloche Monex. I think we get a bit of a discount because the house is also insured with them but I doubt it's that substantial.

I have 2 tickets, neither of which took off any demerits I don't think. Meloche Monex told me I am able to get 4 tickets with nothing happening to my insurance, but after ticket #5 it goes up 25%. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Mark

Crymson
08-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm insured through TD, which i bleive is actually Meloch Monnex.

We pay, i think 92/mo for the 2005 lancer ralliart, and 89 for a 1993 rx-7.

They also told me, when i insured the rx-7 that they will not insure a vehicle that makes more than 20% hp over stock.

subarudy
08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
check this (direct protect group)
this one helps me down my insrnc.

snade831
08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I heard car insurance is going down like 6% or something in november... anyone know why?

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I'm insured through TD, which i bleive is actually Meloch Monnex.

We pay, i think 92/mo for the 2005 lancer ralliart, and 89 for a 1993 rx-7.

They also told me, when i insured the rx-7 that they will not insure a vehicle that makes more than 20% hp over stock.

Yes, TD is meloche monex.

I did not know about that 20% thing....I will have to give them a call....

Mark

Crymson
08-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Yes, TD is meloche monex.

I did not know about that 20% thing....I will have to give them a call....

Mark

Yah, as soon as a i called for a quote it was a million questions from the guy on the phone. He asked me about the intercooler, wastegate, motor porting, if it was a single turbo, exhaust, ECU, all kinds of stuff. My car is stock except for reliability mods, but i didn't know that either. They say they won't insure *show cars * either. I'm not sure what that means, probably just a -- don't expect us to replace your body kit -- clause.

And from 2 experiences that 2 of my co workers have had with Maloche Monnex, it can be like getting blood from a stone to get a reasonable payout in the event of long term injury, whereas i've got other friends who pay more for their insurance, but have never had any trouble with their claims. I guess insurance is indeed like most things, where you do get what you pay for. But for now, i'm happy paying as little as possible into an industry that is fundamentally corrupt.

calgarygts
08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
I used to be with the co-operators until I started shopping around. I ended up paying less than half with ama, who I found to be the cheapest for me with car and home insurance. I called almost every place in the phone book (which took forever!). For whatever reason they just charge way more, I've met a few people who have noticed the same thing. I say change, it's not worth it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Crymson

Yah, as soon as a i called for a quote it was a million questions from the guy on the phone. He asked me about the intercooler, wastegate, motor porting, if it was a single turbo, exhaust, ECU, all kinds of stuff. My car is stock except for reliability mods, but i didn't know that either. They say they won't insure *show cars * either. I'm not sure what that means, probably just a -- don't expect us to replace your body kit -- clause.

And from 2 experiences that 2 of my co workers have had with Maloche Monnex, it can be like getting blood from a stone to get a reasonable payout in the event of long term injury, whereas i've got other friends who pay more for their insurance, but have never had any trouble with their claims. I guess insurance is indeed like most things, where you do get what you pay for. But for now, i'm happy paying as little as possible into an industry that is fundamentally corrupt.

When I called, I actually asked about mods and the lady I talked to literally know nothing about them. She said I would have to make a special appointment to talk to someone else, etc. etc. and made it sound like even if I did have mods, they wouldn't know the first thing about them. Sounds like you talked to a way better person than I did.

Mark

accord885
08-01-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm with TD Meloche Monex. 24 Drive a 2005 Dodge Magnum, no claims but I do have 3 speeding tickets. paying 1600 a year for FULL coverage. Thier customer service people are great too!

Ajay
08-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I just called TD or I guess as you people mentioned Meloche Monex. I had a quote online for $2620 from them and when I called they actually lowered it down to $2400 per year for $1,000,000 liability with $1000 colission deductible and $250 comprehensive coverage.

Definetly going to be going with them as they've been the cheapest thus far and far cheaper than what my existing insurance is trying to charge me. Just need to get the details of my financing company to them and provide them with my DL # and what not.

Thanks for the help.

3G
08-02-2006, 12:41 AM
co-operators is a HUGE rip

Jynx
08-02-2006, 02:49 AM
multi term wit co op is really cheap
we have a few houses insured with them as well as our cars

for 4 cars we pay around 6500 and 2 of the 3 drivers have horrendous records...

:thumbsup: co op!

Ajay
08-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I just got a new policy from Meloche Monnex.

For $1,000,000 liability, $1000 collision deductible, and $250 comprehensive Co-Operators wanted over $4800/yr from me for my 02 WRX. Meloche Monnex even after investigating my driver and insurance record (was at 6 but dropped to 0 after my at-fault claim) dropped it from $2587 to $2146 even AFTER knowing about my accident. Plus with MM the policy includes rental and all glass except windshield which my Co-Operators policy did not cover.

How this premium can vary that much is beyond me.

:thumbsdow Co-Operators

leec001
08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
If you have a clean driving record, AMA and co-operators is cheap.
My sister is paying a little less than $1000/year for her Impreza 2.5 RS.

frostyda9
08-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Meloche Monnex FTW.

I pay less than $900/year for full coverage, with low deductibles :D If you can combine the auto insurance with some sort of property insurance, they will make it worthwhile. Just something to keep in mind.

Ajay
08-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Yah they told me it would be even cheaper if I was to purchase some type of property insurance from them but well I don't own any property so that's out the window.

I'm wondering how cheap it would have been if I hadn't gotten into any accident at all. I can live with $2146 per year cause I know next August when I renew it'll go down even more as I'll already be 25.

88CRXGUY
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
The people that are stating what they are paying, how many of them are over 25. No one has stated if they are under 25.

Who here is under 25, and what do you pay for car insruance??