PDA

View Full Version : Freezing (annoyed)

mix123
08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Alright here's the story. FOr the past few months every once in a while my computer will freeze up. It's very spiratic and does it at random times. SOmetimes it would do it a few times a day or other times not for a week. Anyways I figured out that it must be overheating and just left the side of the case off and it ran much better. After a while the power supply died completely and it would even power up. So i replaced my Power supply to a 520watt Vantec Stealth and a new case with 3 case fans running in it. Since then it was running perfect. Until yesterday. It seems to have started freezing again. It has done it twice in that past few days after going about a week with the new stuff.

WHat temps should everything be running at? ANy ideas what could be wrong? This is getting so annoying

Unknown303
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
As long as all temps are probably below 70 you should be fine.

Maybe check the connections to the fan on your cpu and your video card. Could be that the fans die and it instantly overheats and crashes to protect the system. Not sure, sounds pretty crazy and you've done a lot of the things i would have originally recommended.

mix123
08-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Speedfan lists 4 temps. (I think this is right i'm at work right now)
Temp1: 25-30 degrees
Temp2: 54-56 degrees
HDD1: 34
HDD2: 33

dragonone
08-01-2006, 12:16 PM
those numbers seem ok tho, not hot enough to cause you to freeze
try to run prime95 or a diagnostic program like pc-check
memtest, spinrite etc.

soupey
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
take ur ram stick out and put them in again, might be something messin around with the connections, make sure u dont have a load of thermal paste between ur cpu-heatsink, make sure ur heatsinks are clean, use a vacuum or compressed air to clear out any dust that could stop air flow, make sure all ur fans are functional!, try reseating all ur other cards...if all else fails reformat, maybe its a software issue....

hopefully smthn there helps

mix123
08-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I have reformated and have pulled the ram out and tossed it back in. I do beleive there is a fair amount of dust in there so i will vacuum all that out and see what happens. I will also run the torture test on the system and see how it turns out.

01RedDX
08-01-2006, 06:44 PM

Unknown303
08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
try enabling "launch folder windows in a separate process" could be a long shot but causes similar problems in certain configurations.

Wow really.. Thats crazy.

If there is lots of dust on the inside it might be work it to make sure that there isn't dust clogging the heatsinks of the cpu or video card. I cleaned my video card one out a few weeks back and it was so packed full of cat hair that there was next to no airflow from that fan.

I agree with making sure what everything is seated properly.

glennc
08-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Tear down and clean it :). I doubt its a heat problem, especially with meer 30 degree weather. Computers can run into some amazing temps. Check all the pins on the hd, ram connector, just basically inspect it.

If ALL else fails, just wipe the HD and re-install windows. Fresh start, no bugs.

mix123
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
I ran memtest for like 8 hours with no errors. I started prime95 when i left for work. So we'll see what happens. I think if i check all connections and blow it out and i would think it should run fine. We shall see though. I'll let you guys know.