PDA

View Full Version : MR2 n00b in serious need of advice/comments

kranked
08-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I had my first close up look at an MR2 a few months back and I have to say I got weak in the knee's. It's absolutely amazing, I love it!

I'm looking at buying one and thought I would consult some owners from Calgary. I've got a few questions...

1.) Where did you buy your MR2? Canada or US? How much? Specs?

2.) If you bought it from the U.S what did you have to go through as far as importation duties/paperwork?

3.) I've found that the Gen 2's have a max. 43.4" of legroom (i'm pretty tall, 6'4"). I fit nicely in my friends 92' gen 4 prelude and that has 44.2" of legroom. Should I be concerned?

4.) What is the best possible route to follow as far as buying an MR2? e.g buying a non turbo only to add an aftermarket turbo, cost effectiveness basically.

5.) And finally, is there anything I should know before even considering looking at buying this vehicle? Such as hassles concering owning/having one serviced in Canada. Buying parts etc.

Thanks alot, I'm really glad I stumbeled across this forum.

(EDIT: I'd really appreciate it if any Calgary members could add me to MSN, [email protected], I realize this forum doesn't get a large amount of traffic so it would be nice to talk to someone in real time.)

Redlyne_mr2
08-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I prefer LHD mr2s but thats just me, youd have to talk to the jdm guys about importing them.
Maintenance is expensive unless you can do your own work and parts take time to come in, they aren't like hondas. They aren't the most practical cars and should be driven only in the summer but when properly maintained and cared for are super enjoyable. Good luck

sh0ko
08-02-2006, 09:34 AM
pm-d

jvillain
08-04-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm 6' 1" and I fit in mine with the tops in and my helmut on with the tops in. Or atleast I did before I put the sparcos in. You would think there would be no room in these cars but there is actually quite a bit for what it is.

I second every thing Redlyne_mr2 said. These are cars that were built to be true sports cars. They aren't family sadans that got some stiffer shocks a K&N and some pin stripes and now they want to call it a sports car.

These things are true sports cars and they want to be driven like sports cars. They are also getting on to being 15 years old. That means they usually have a lot of maintanance thet needs to go along with them. If you can't afford to feed it I would look for some thing else. If you read all that and you still want one. Welcome aboard.