PDA

View Full Version : Need advice - Contemplating taking my WRX STI on a long road trip...

STI_777
08-02-2006, 04:17 AM
I have an '05 WRX STI with approx 8,500 miles. I'm taking a road trip from California to Texas this Thursday and was debating whether or not to go in my STI or rent a car.

Would a long trip like this (approx 2000 miles round trip) be to hard on the STI? Have any of you guys taken your WRX or turbo powered cars on a lengthy road trip taht produced negative reslts other than a lot of miles on the car? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

tjtd00
08-02-2006, 05:36 AM
in june I drove my 05 wrx to buffalo n.y. and back about a total of 8500k including all my driving around. Great trip, no issues what so ever. Gas mileage on the highway isn't the greatest as you tend to pass people quite quickly but other than that, very comfy ride even though my car is lowered and on 18's. Besides the highways in the states are much better. Good luck, drive careful and have fun

me&you
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Unless you have your car set-up for some-sort of track use or other specific purpose and you've compromised it's street drivability, there is absolutely no reason not to take the car.

What the hell did you buy a performance car for if you're not going to drive it? I'd be asking how I could insure that I get to drive my car on a road trip! If you don't take the car, I'll slap you!

Mitsu3000gt
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
I would think it would be more than OK. It could probably handle the trip as well or better than alot of other cars. If your worried about your turbo, it won't even spool up if your just cruising. You need a load on the motor for it to spool, i.e. putting your foot heavy in the gas, so theoretically it should only spool up for you to pass people.

The only reason I would debate not taking it is that it would put a ton of KM on the car. That being said, highway driving is not hard on the car at all, stop and start driving is much worse.

I think unless your worried about putting a bunch of KM on the car, take the STi - you'll have more fun anyways if you find some cool roads on the way.

JAYMEZ
08-02-2006, 09:18 AM
You will have no problems at all , your car is bran new ... Its up to you if you want to put the miles on it or not :dunno:

Pee_Sack
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
my WRX is on the highway from Fort McMurray - Edmonton (500kms) atleast once every couple months. Once or twice year it is from Fort McMurray - Hinton (800kms). Never had a problem with it. fun to drive on the highway, and aslong as you stay off the boost your gas milage is decent.

STI_777
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Awesome! Lots of encouraging advice that has put my mind at ease - I'll definitely be taking the STI.

Guess my only concern now wil be all the bugs and crap that will likely accumulate on the front end and on the intercooler. I'll just have to find a spot to hose it off. Anyways thanks for the info guys :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
^^ Theres actually a spray to help keep bugs off your car , i just cant remember what the hell its called!

nismodrifter
08-02-2006, 12:34 PM
To keep bugs off your front end use PAINTER TAPE. Not normal masking tape but PAINTERS TAPE. Painters tape won't leave crap behind when you take it off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ultimatesteve/Dsc00401.jpg

SilverBoost
08-02-2006, 01:18 PM
^^^^^

yeah I wouldn't do that. It looks liek ass. Give your car a really good wax job and the flies will come off easier. Just try not to let them sit very long. Like for a week. Just pull into U-wash bays along the way and spray them off when you can.

As for the trip, I've driven my aftermarket turboed car across canada over 4 times. And raced it at tracks along the way. I wouldn't be afraid to take an STi on a trip like that... in fact, you'd be doing yourself an injustice by not taking it.

Why miss an opportunity to hit some new roads in a drivers car.

Have fun. Take lot's of pics and post em up when you get back.

rc2002
08-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Even if something big happens to the engine, it'll be covered under warranty by Subaru. Nothing to worry about.

jizzajames
08-02-2006, 02:11 PM
the sti wasnt built for race tracks and rally courses only you crazy man.... drive it whereever man... it's a car, that's what it's meant for... getting around..

nismodrifter
08-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Why wouldn't you tape it for a crazy long trip?? Who cares if it looks like ass...it protects the paint more than wax would. Peel it off and the bugs come off with it.

STI_777
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Someone on another forum recommended one of those clear 3M bras. Do those have to be special ordered or can you pick one up in any auto store?

nismodrifter
08-02-2006, 06:48 PM
A 3m clear bra is not something you can just put on your car when you want to. It has to be done at a shop that knows how to properly install it. You can't just buy one and slap it on.

Thats why I recommend painters tape as the temporary solution.

djayz
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
3m has some new spray on bras...they come in clear or dull black

basically just tape your car off where you dont want to get it like glass etc and spray away

it doesnt come off with rain/hail/snow but soap and water and a little brush action takes it off with ease.

great product and the best part is it comes in clear :thumbsup:

should be available at canadiantire or walmart

Rat Fink
08-02-2006, 08:57 PM

Perceptionist
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Good decision to take the STI, but I'd have to say the painter's tape wouldn't be something I'd do. It makes the car look like ass. Why would you buy a nice looking car if you're gonna cover half of it in blue tape when you take it on the highway?

SilverBoost
08-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Perceptionist
Good decision to take the STI, but I'd have to say the painter's tape wouldn't be something I'd do. It makes the car look like ass. Why would you buy a nice looking car if you're gonna cover half of it in blue tape when you take it on the highway?

Quoted for truth.

xrayvsn
08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Drove my STi from Seattle back to Edmonton starting at when it had 25 miles (right off the lot). I put 1100 miles on it in 3 days, and I think I spent about 95% of the time smiling. The other 5% of the time I was waiting for a light, anticipating that I would be smiling when the light turned green. Do yourself a favor and take the car. You bought the STi to drive it, not admire how much better it would have been if you had it instead of the crappy automatic transmission rental car you were driving in.

Besides, bugs are not an issue. This is why there are car washes and detailing shops around to remove said bugs and road grime.

yellowsnow
08-03-2006, 08:18 AM
claybar should be able to remove the majority of the bugs/grime from your paint once you come home :)

95EagleAWD
08-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I drove a 15 year old car I'd neer seen 2400+ miles from Texas to Edmonton through rain and snow.

Live a little. ;)