PDA

View Full Version : A4 Questions

aram1000
08-02-2006, 08:35 AM
I was just wondering if there are any reliability issues for 1996-2000 Audi A4's, how much is average maintenance on these cars, is there anything I should pay extra too, also how are the 1.8T vs. the 2.8 motors, how are they on gas, are they fun to drive, etc. I appreciate any and all valuable input.

Thanks

Mitsu3000gt
08-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Those cars have perhaps the best built interiors of any reasonably priced car. Everything is rock solid. Every button has the perfect feel, nothing feels cheap. Every car magazine I've ever read agrees that Audi does the best interior. Even the little bar that the door latches onto is twice the size of that of any other car I've seen. They are no less reliable than the majority of cars, but like any higher end car they do have alot more features, which means more things that can possibly break. I have not had a single issue with my S4 in over a year (thats how long ive had it). Parts may cost a little bit more than your average car too, a bit because its likely a better part and a bit because it says audi on it. The HVAC system is pretty loud when on full blast, that is probably the only downfall I can think of.

The 1.8T motor is pretty gutless in the 150HP configuration, and definately better in the 170 hp configuration of the later years. I believe it is easy to chip thw 1.8T and get more like 200HP out of them. The 2.8 V6 is also a great motor, and has 190HP. I would definately get one with AWD, as they were available in FWD. 90% of them im sure are AWD though so that shouldn't be an issue.

I am biased because I own an Audi in that body style, but you will be hard pressed to find any reputable source that says they aren't great cars.

Good luck with your decision, go drive both motors in the different years.

aram1000
08-02-2006, 09:54 AM
what year is the 1.8T motor 170hp, is it the 99 and up? Or did the 170hp did not come until 2002?

Evo prec
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
the motor changed from 150hp to 170hp in 2001 which was the last year in that body style

benyl
08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
Dude, the 1.8T is a motor with a ton of problems. Go check out the audi boards.

Be prepared to have your car in the shop all the time with anything from VAG. They aren't all bad, but most are.

A2VR6
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by aram1000
I was just wondering if there are any reliability issues for 1996-2000 Audi A4's, how much is average maintenance on these cars, is there anything I should pay extra too, also how are the 1.8T vs. the 2.8 motors, how are they on gas, are they fun to drive, etc. I appreciate any and all valuable input.

Thanks

My dad owns a B5 (2000) VW Passat 4motion (same AWD system) which has basically the same motor choices as the A4 (1.8/2.8) and is based on the same platform. Reliability is hit and miss with these cars as there are some people with TONS of problems with their cars and some people with no problems at all. Our car has the 2.8 V6 and mechanically it has been solid, no real problems at all.

If you want to mod your car, i'd personally go for the 1.8T since the aftermarket for that engine is much larger than the 2.8 V6. From personal experience, the fuel economy on the V6 blows. Were avging about 13.6 L/100km in the city per tank. The 1.8 should be a alot better on gas with this respect. The most common problems with the 1.8T engine that i've heard of so far are faulty coilpacks (mainly on the later 2000/2001 models not sure if there was a recall on them, i know there is a TSB out on it) and oil sludge issues. Also there have been cases of bad turbos and bad MAF sensor (happened to our passat actually). Also the 1996-2000 A4's have issues of bad control arms (should be fixed VIA recall)

In any case, if you do decide on a A4, make sure that if it's a higher mileage car that the timing belt/tensioner has been replaced. They should be replaced roughly every 100,000 km's and if they are not replaced there is a chance that they will break and cause some pretty bad damage. But the key is to get a well maintained one.

heavyD
08-02-2006, 10:35 AM
My brother has a 1999 A4 1.8T Quattro. The engine is gutless & gas mileage is poor because the quattros are heavy. He's had no issues with the engine or transmission at 150K kms. The only problems he's had besides basic wear & tear is the strange elecrical problems that plague German cars in general, like failed temperature/pressure senders, idiot lights flashing for no reason, crappy 6-disc changer that is notorious for skipping. The interior is the best part & shames all cars < $50K.

Aleks
08-02-2006, 10:48 AM
VW/Audi always has below average reliability ratings in surveys. At least that was true in the past models. All that means is your chances of getting a car with more problems than average increase.

I would love to own an RS4 one day tho no matter how "unreliable" :drool:

civicrider
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
my 2.8 is good, little problems and gas is failry reasonable 450-500kms in the city, the power is good as well.
its a 1997