PDA

View Full Version : 3M Clear Bra

infected
08-03-2006, 01:06 AM
The bodyshop is going to start working on my car soon and someone brought up the idea of putting on the 3M Clear Bra once they finish the paint job to prevent rock chips in the future, mainly because my front end looks like it went through a Rally or something. I asked the bodyshop how long I needed to wait before it was safe to put the Bra on and they told me 2 days is more than enough. However I've heard horror stories of putting the Clear Bra on too quickly after a fresh paint job. Will 2 days be more than enough time for the paint to cure so I can put the Bra on? Also, I've also heard the Clear Bra will yellow if I put it on fresh paint too quickly. Anyone have any experience with this? Will the paint peel away with the Bra when I try to remove it in the future? When would be an appropriate time to allow for the paint to cure before I stick anything on it?

nismodrifter
08-03-2006, 02:20 AM
1 month

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2006, 02:23 AM
^^werd

I wouldnt touch any car that has fresh paint on it. Just to be save, wait AT LEAST 2 weeks

JRSC00LUDE
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Agreed, mine just came out of the paint booth 2 days ago and they said wait 2 weeks.

heavyD
08-03-2006, 11:56 AM
What color is the car as the 3m stuff turns yellow as it ages. It's not too noticeable on my white car but I have seen some dark colored vehicles where it looks horrible.

accord885
08-03-2006, 12:36 PM
There is a Black 850i in my lot that has one... dont really like the look of it. Its very noticable. Light hits it differently than the reg car.

rc2002
08-03-2006, 12:46 PM
There are some different materials other than 3M that you can get that is breathable and can allow the paint to cure properly even after it's applied. Plus it doesn't yellow like 3M does.

There are a few different types like Ricochet and ventureshield and a few others. Do your research before picking one - prices are all similar.

heavyD
08-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by accord885
There is a Black 850i in my lot that has one... dont really like the look of it. Its very noticable. Light hits it differently than the reg car.

Yeah. You have to use a cleaner wax on it every three months otherwise they discolor and look worse than the inevitable rock chips that would normally be there.

SilverBoost
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Yeah, sometimes the cure is worse than the affliction....

my front end is totally trashed again.... just got it repainted last year and now even if a fly hits it it chips. It's like the paint stopped adhering.

I used 3M on the rear bumper and it started lifting and it's taking the paint with it.

I think I'm just going to paint my whoel car with fucking spray on bed liner. :D

max_boost
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
My 330 (Silver Gray) front end looks like crap with the 3M and it's very noticeable. I'm actually thinking of peeling it off.

I'm debating if I want to get it done as well because I just got the front end repainted on the RSX (White) and it looks so nice without any chips hehe but for the price to get it done I could probably just repaint it every couple years. :dunno:

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2006, 02:39 PM
there are special 3m polish that would keep it from yellowing, or take out the "yellow". And there are better products out there then 3M, i find that Avery works realy well and alot less noticeable than 3M.

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
My 330 (Silver Gray) front end looks like crap with the 3M and it's very noticeable. I'm actually thinking of peeling it off.

Be VERY careful if you want to take it off yourself. Put alot of heat on it so it doesnt take the paint off as well. It's a huge paint taking 3M off

infected
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow thanks for the replies guys, I'm definitely not going to put the bra on now. And he told me 2 day is more than enough?? It's alright because they haven't started painting yet and it was just an idea. I'm not sure what brand they're using because I think he's going to send it out to some other shop to put it on for me. That ain't happening anymore.

Max_Boost, I think the Bra looks really bad as well but the rock chips on my car were... let's just say ugly. I have chips EVERYWHERE!! The hood, the bumper, the side mirrors, the fender, the door, the quarter panel. Everywhere but the hatch has huge chips all across it. Also I'm afriad what will happen if I decide to peel it off like you're planning to so yea... might as well get a new paint job. :)

heavyD, the car is Brilliant Silver so it shouldn't be too noticable with the Bra on, it's still considered a brighter color. My uncle bought a 750li that came with a Bra from BMW but his car is black and it looks aweful, maybe because there's dirt trapped along the edges of the clear film. I didn't know we had to clean the Bra everyonce in a while, I guess that wouldn't be too bad as I'd just do it while I wash the car.

Anyways I'll probably tell them to leave the bra off for now, I might change my mind later but we'll see. I guess you guys are right about the rock chips being not as visible than the bra.

Xtrema
08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I've been saying the same thing for on here for years and nobody listens. Unless you're ready to reapply every couple of years, you just make it worse.

I don't care what the saleman say, it's different material than your body. It will age differently = looks awful.

spyce
08-03-2006, 07:34 PM
When you get it done I suggest you stay the fuck away from 3M Trimline.
If something goes wrong, they will refuse to do anything about it. Very unreasonable and very bitchy when you start to complain about their work.

Had my whole front done there. Week later it started to peel from my bumper. They refused to redo it and simply said all they would do is trim it back :rolleyes:
Same shit is happening again even with the trimmed back piece. Also just noticed down by my foglight what looks to be a cutting scratch on the paint. I wont bring it up with them because its too frustrating to talk to the that bitch of a manager there (Darlene).

So basically yea. Dont take it to them.

Rat Fink
08-04-2006, 07:31 AM

ICEBERG
08-04-2006, 02:18 PM
My dealer wanted to put it on my C230 but i didn't wan't it. That 3M stuff is hard to take Off later on. They had it on one of the C230's and i didn't like the way it looked. I guess it depends on the color too.