PDA

View Full Version : turbo dodges?

finboy
07-15-2002, 01:01 AM
i've seen them fast, i've heard they are fast, i have talked to people who have fast ones.

i want one for a summer car.

i can't decide for a turbo 2.2, or a turbo 2.5.
which model? the turbo 2.2/2.5 came in mini vans, shadows, spirits, omnis (could never find one), daytonas, etc. i was thinking a shadow or shelby Z.

is there ony realy good people to help me for parts/mechanical help in town? i have an excelent help with vw's, and i was hoping for the same here.

anyone?

http://thedodgegarage.com/friends/garry_m_1.jpg

legendboy
07-15-2002, 08:23 AM
get the turbo minivan. Good looking, very reliable, chicks dig it!!!

redline
07-15-2002, 10:29 AM
go to http://www.performance-shop.com/yabbse/index.php

there is a bunch of turbo dodge stuff posted in the boost section. There are a bunch of fast turbo dodge guys on that board that can get you set up.

Gotrek
07-15-2002, 11:52 AM
I'd go with an 88 or 89 Daytona Shelby Z turbo It's what I had (88) best car ever easily gets into the 12's witha super 60 kit for mopar (bigger turbo, computer, injectors, etc) Only cost me 1000$ for the car never had a proiblem with it (upgraded the head gasket when I first got it)

Both the 2.2 and the 2.5 had really bad problems with head gaskets blowing fix that when you get your car and you'll have a damn good ride for a long time.

Super 60 turbo at 27 psi + intercooler + 3" exhaust = 12.25 second 1/4 mile!! Thats in a 3400lbs Plymouth Acclaim.

A daytona weighs around 3050 lbs

border_project
07-15-2002, 12:40 PM
get a shelby
nice fast cars

Gotrek
07-15-2002, 12:46 PM
The best find would be a dodge Omni GLH or GLHS
Or a shelby charger they are rare fast fun and handle really good to boot

nookmumracing
07-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Another Member for the MOPAR crew....:thumbsup:

Gotrek
07-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Mopar all the way I had to sell my 65 cuda, 71 duster, 67 dart GT convertible, to get a down payment on my house now I'm stuck driving a chevy POS but I've got a line on a 65 Chrylsler Windsor convertible for cheap can you say pimpin ride :) Its turquoise in colour :)

Can't wait :)
anyways I'm invading your Alberta Forum from Winnipeg :)

4wheeldrift
07-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Big Asterix fan, Gotrek? :D

T5_X
07-15-2002, 06:42 PM
85 Turbo New Yorker!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hitit:

Mortimer Schnur
07-15-2002, 10:25 PM
This guy runs a 13 sec. minivan and a 12 sec. Acclaim:

http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus/index.html

GTS Jeff
07-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Plus with a minivan, you can run over anything you want.

finboy
07-16-2002, 01:46 AM
i talked with the owner of the 12 second minivan through e-mail. really cool guy.

i don't want the 88-89 daytona though...kind of fugly imo. i like the 86's like in the original post, or shadow es turbo. i always wondered what would happen if you crossed the AWD caravan with the turbo engine...

hmm.

na, too much work.

Gotrek
07-16-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Big Asterix fan, Gotrek? :D

Not really but I couldn't find anything cool enough to use as an avatar :) Mind you the live action Asterix movie from France is hilarious!

James
07-16-2002, 06:27 AM
i have a 2.2l '86 Duster, it is sooooooo pimp!:bigpimp: :rofl: :rolleyes: The Shelby Turbo Chargers are actually pretty decent cars! like Gotrek said , they can be made damn fast for really cheap!:thumbsup: I think i might
Turbo the Duster , just to have some fun, The engine/tranny is absolute crap, so i might as well have fun blowing it up!:thumbsup: :cool:

rage2
07-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by BEAT IT!!!!
the engines are so unreliable and plagued with problems..but hell you can pick up these turbocharged beauties for 1000 bucks so fuck it!!!!

There's a few 12 second ones in town running reliably. Do some research before posting next time.

BEAT IT!!!!
07-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2

There's a few 12 second ones in town running reliably. Do some research before posting next time.
ive know my research..it takes alot to make those reliable...anything can be made reliable...those poor cars require a shitload of strenghthening

Audi Kid
07-16-2002, 04:48 PM
dont argue with rage man........................his a guru!

oh and learn some grammer skills man.........k thx

rage2
07-16-2002, 04:48 PM
ive know my research..it takes alot to make those reliable...anything can be made reliable...those poor cars require a shitload of strenghthening

And what research have you done? The 12 second shelby's are running with stock bottom ends.

BEAT IT!!!!
07-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by rage2

And what research have you done? The 12 second shelby's are running with stock bottom ends.
I know a pile of turbo dodge owners and they have all had to do strenghthening, no some of stayed with the pistons but have goen with mopac rings, the rods on those things dont stand up very well either but all in all its probably because they have good tuning

GothicSmurf
07-16-2002, 06:17 PM
i own an 87 daytona (not turbo), the only problem ive ever heard about is the head gasket, other then that, they're extremely reliable

gpomp
07-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by GothicSmurf
i own an 87 daytona (not turbo), the only problem ive ever heard about is the head gasket, other then that, they're extremely reliable

What about the clutch you blew on your first day?

LancerShelby
07-16-2002, 07:04 PM
To get the record straight....there is only one turbo dodge in Calgary that does 12's, one in BC, and a bunch in Ontario and the USA. Check this like out and you'll see.... http://butchn.home.attbi.com/fastcars.htm
The guy here in town, as well as most other guys, uses the stock 2.5 crank, rods, and block with forged pistons and Total Seal rings. Their heads are ported stock heads, using stock valves or sometimes ported big valve heads from turbo dodge performance shops like www.fowardmotioninc.com and www.fwdperformance.com. Their turbo are all bigger units then stock, obviously, being around the same size as the ones that came on Mustang SVO's, Merkur XR4Ti's and Thunderbird TurboCoupes, aka Super 60 turbos.
All of them run big injectors, about 42lb/hr or bigger.
All of them run bigger intercoolers because boost level are in excess of 20psi.
All of them run 2.5 or 3" exhausts, with some of them running just a pipe off the turbo.
All of them run stock transmissions. If they have an auto, then they usually just use a manual valve body and stock internals.
If they run a manual, then sometimes a posi-traction differential with stock internals and a custom clutch from places like www.clutchnet.com or www.clutchmasters.com"
To run 12's on a turbo dodge, no matter what the weight of the car is, Hp levels are always in excess of 300 and Torque levels beyond 350ft.lbs
So to say that these cars are "unreliable and plagued with problems'' is false. No matter what the car, it is only as good as the quality of maintenance performed.
I just ran a 14.2 in Edmonton on the weekend using stock head, intake, turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler, block, pistons/rings, rods, crank, and tranny. The setup has 180000 kms on it. My mods are: 3" exhaust, front mount stock intercooler, 18psi, and bigger injectors. To do this ET, I spent at most $700.

Gotrek
07-17-2002, 05:59 AM

I disagree I was running about ~350hp (Crank) out of my daytona on stock parts the only non performance upgrade was a new copper composite head gasket. I also bought Chrysler minivan axles because I had bought slicks (and a 75 shot of NOS) and the axles were starting to twist but I put 20 000 hard miles on it (40 000KM's) without ever breaking anything.

Redlyne_mr2
07-17-2002, 10:12 AM
it seem sliek its alwasy hit or miss with those cars..

Gotrek
07-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
it seem sliek its alwasy hit or miss with those cars..

Well I see as many turbo dodges on the road that I see cavaliers and sunbirds. Cavaliers and sunbirds have a reliable drivetrain (didn't say body here just drivetrain:D) and lord knows there are many of those around (I own one). But and I do say BUT every turbo dodge I see at the scrappers has had some kind of engine fire because the engine compartement is always cooked.

moparacer
05-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey anyone out there done head porting on Turbo II motor.

finboy
05-30-2004, 11:50 PM
holy old thread, lol

90_shelby is the head porting guru in town from what i've heard

moparacer
05-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Well I didnt notice this was from 2002 until after I had posted. Just bought an 87 GLHS now I am compling parts to make it faster.

finboy
05-31-2004, 12:01 AM
glh's are nice cars, rare too.

you would bee suprised how far 3 inch exhaust, a boost controler, and +20 injectors can go.

TOMA from this site hit consistant 13.8's with his glhs clone, and we are at 3500+ feet of elevation :eek:

moparacer
05-31-2004, 07:13 AM
Thats what I understand I found this car for my brother in 1992 so he has had it for a long time. He got it with 68000 miles on it. He has run mobil one in it the whole time. It now has 106000 on it . The tranny was rebuilt about 100000 car drives great. I do wonder what to do first. Ie head gasket valve job. I have bought the super 60 kit 20% over injectors and Hipo shelby computor. Where do you come buy the good head gaskets. I will be installing a good boost gauge and fuel ratio guage. Hey do you know of any after market wheels to mount slick on for the track.

Any advice would be appreciated

amoparacer:D

T5_X
05-31-2004, 08:58 AM
The best head gaskets are mopar hands down
If your gonna be running higher boost your gonna need to upgrade your fuel delivery. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator should be on your list, maybe a rising rate too.
This site will answer most of your questions: www.thedodgegarage.com

heavyD
05-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Ha! Ha! Ha! I can't believe there is a thread about these cars. This has opened up a can of worms. I owned a Daytona Shelby. It was the worst car I have ever owned. Hands down. I am going to have nightmares now.:thumbsdow

finboy
05-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Ha! Ha! Ha! I can't believe there is a thread about these cars. This has opened up a can of worms. I owned a Daytona Shelby. It was the worst car I have ever owned. Hands down. I am going to have nightmares now.:thumbsdow

so long as you use a mopar performance head gasket and don't crank the boost above 16psi with stock injectors they are very good cars and more than even competition with dsm's.

heavyD
05-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by finboy

so long as you use a mopar performance head gasket and don't crank the boost above 16psi with stock injectors they are very good cars and more than even competition with dsm's.

The only reply I can think of to that is: GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!

finboy
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM

The only reply I can think of to that is: GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!

:rolleyes:

fastest fwd in alberta and soon to be fastest 4 cyl in alberta...

TURBO DODGE :thumbsup:

moparacer
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Well the super 60 turbo comes with 40% over injectors. I will be using 20% over first at about 16 lbs I will be installing a EGT and an O2 gauge. Plus a good ajustable fuel regulator and creep up on the boost.
AMOPARCRER

DonJuan
06-01-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm afraid finboy is right, despite not being as asthetically pleasing there are more fast turbo dodges than DSM's and the dodges are usually faster because they cost next to nothing and parts are found everywhere. It is the best choice for somone doesn't have alot of cash and can do alot of work themselves.

heavyD
06-01-2004, 12:17 PM

:rolleyes:

fastest fwd in alberta and soon to be fastest 4 cyl in alberta...
TURBO DODGE :thumbsup:

I don't care about that I just couldn't stop laughing at your post that said that they were very good cars. So you have the fastest 4-cylinder in your trailer park. You do know those are trailer park hot rods right?:werd: Don't tell me. Your name is either Ricky, Julian, maybe Bubbles? No it's gotta be Randy.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

canadiandaytona
06-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Seems obvious You don't have a clue...
Look at your own avitar..when its running
Looks like you just can't or don't know how to take care of a car.

What was so wrong with your Shelby?

redx2nv
06-01-2004, 01:21 PM
The engine in the car is a great motor, the first one i had in my daytona went at 288 000kms. I swapped in a lower mileage 2.5 turbo, bypassed the wastegate and was running 15+ pounds of boost on 87 octane. The tranny however still had 288km on it, and it gave out before it could hit 300000kms I took it to the junkyard, the car was plauged with electrical problems so i sais "F**K it" as it was only my winter car.

heavyD
06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Seems obvious You don't have a clue...
Look at your own avitar..when its running
Looks like you just can't or don't know how to take care of a car.

What was so wrong with your Shelby?

Listen kid. I owned my Daytona on the 80's when most of you were in pre-school. I've owned everything from Ford to Honda to Mazda. My last two Hondas were trouble free up to 180KM's. I also have a 1988 Mazda 323GT turbo that runs like a top with over 250K on the original turbo and no rebuilds yet. I know a good car from a bad car and the Daytona was biggest POS I have ever owned. Ask Hollywood, he even drove it for a while. That said my DSM ranks above the Daytona neck & neck with my old Suzuki Swift GTi for reliability which is below average. Don't forget, Chrysler had a hand in the DSM's, hence the overage to below average reliability.

As for what was wrong with my Daytona; head gasket(s), fuel injectors, transmission, ecu (twice), turbo, couldn't turn off talking "door is ajar" fucker, etc. One thing I will say that was good is that they are way more rust resistant than Japanese cars.

moparacer
06-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey when you are dealing with people that have an IQ less than 100 its more fun to just let them make fools of them selves. Today I will be picking the charger up and the new turbo should be here by thursday. This car is to go honda hunting. I already have a 71 Demon with a 440 and tunnel ram that does 11.45 just wanted to try turbo 4 fun.

AMOPARACER PS Usualy the ones that have trouble with computor cars cant type ether .:D

T5_X
06-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by moparacer
I already have a 71 Demon with a 440 and tunnel ram that does 11.45 just wanted to try turbo 4 fun.

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Pics?

moparacer
06-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Digital camera in the repair shop. They said 8 weeks to fix it though. I removed the stock A 8 3/4 and mini tubed the car inboard spring kit. The new rear end should be shorted this saturday then I will order the new axles but camera should be back in 6 weeks the auto focus stopped working good thing I bought the warrenty Exstention.
AMOPARACER

finboy
06-01-2004, 06:11 PM

You do know those are trailer park hot rods right

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/329000-329999/329838_11_full.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-A/new%20wheels1.JPG

such trailer park cars :rolleyes:

both of those are members on this site, and neither of the members live in a trailer park.

as for me i live with my parents (going to school tends to kill the bank account) in the crescent heights area

here's another from the states
http://home.earthlink.net/~grant-racing/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rt_profile.jpg
full koni suspension and coilovers, lotus twin cam head, etc.
http://home.earthlink.net/~grant-racing/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rt_shadyside.jpg
the daytona won btw ;)

glh perhaps
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/221000-221999/221020_72_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/394000-394999/394403_58_full.jpg

and for good measure, a glh with stealt TT v6
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417059_4_full.jpg

moparacer
06-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Well my brother came home from vacation to day. He droped off the shelby GLHS #924 the thing sure needs paint but what would you exspect for 1500 us. Going to get new battery and tires tomarrow:D

AMOPARACER PS nice cars hope mine will look that nice in a few months.

finboy
06-01-2004, 11:21 PM
glhs for 1500? you got a smoking deal on that :eek:

DonJuan
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
you have to admit though the ONMI's and such are really ugly cars. All the other ones are sweet and your LeBaron IS the nicest I have seen. But I just can't see the Omni looking anything but bad. Goes Like Hell... but just as ugly.

moparacer
06-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Yes omnis are one step up from a pacer. Charger shelbys look good when painted and rims polished. Daytonas look very nice but they are a heaver car. Any way put my new battery in this morning, was not able to get the new tires yet. I wonder if I should use eagle GTs or maybe BFG Drag radials on front or what.

Took the car for a little burn man front wheel drives with power like these dont feel very stable. Hope new tirers will help

AMOPARACER

finboy
06-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
you have to admit though the ONMI's and such are really ugly cars. All the other ones are sweet and your LeBaron IS the nicest I have seen. But I just can't see the Omni looking anything but bad. Goes Like Hell... but just as ugly.

the look grows on you.

as for the lebaron, its actually a Lancer Shelby that belongs to another member on this board. i have a spirit es that i'm slowly getting togeather.

90_Shelby
06-02-2004, 09:47 PM

I don't care about that I just couldn't stop laughing at your post that said that they were very good cars. So you have the fastest 4-cylinder in your trailer park. You do know those are trailer park hot rods right?:werd: Don't tell me. Your name is either Ricky, Julian, maybe Bubbles? No it's gotta be Randy.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Step up FUCKER!!!:guns: :guns:

Would you like to get your DSM ass handed to you by trailer trash?:whipped: :D ;) ;)

finboy
06-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Step up FUCKER!!!:guns: :guns:

Would you like to get your DSM ass handed to you by trailer trash?:whipped: :D ;) ;)

:rofl:

i would have posted your creation but it's just a bone stock bodied daytona with a trailer trash 2.5 :thumbsup: :rofl:

moparacer
06-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Okay whats the 2.5 trailer trash comment. From the websites I have read alot of racers use 2.5s in the 350 hp range.:drama: :drama:
AMOPARACER

90_Shelby
06-03-2004, 10:24 AM
This is the trailer trash 2.5 that we are referring to. This engine has a couple hundred more than the 350hp you're referring to.;)

http://forums.beyond.ca/attachment.php?s=&postid=611591

DonJuan
06-03-2004, 05:03 PM

as for the lebaron, its actually a Lancer Shelby that belongs to another member on this board.
oh yeah, sorry I knew I had seen that one before and I thought you had done a LeBaron conversion or sumthin. But I can see how they grow on you. I used to think 86 Corollas were so fugly, but as of 3 years ago I absolutely love em.

moparacer
06-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Well What is that going in looked like you may need a hood scoop for the turbo. Or mabey just run with no hood:bigpimp:

90_Shelby
06-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Stock hood, the entire car looks stock. Except for the increasingly smaller tail lights if you try to race it.:D

DonJuan
06-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Stock hood, the entire car looks stock. Except for the increasingly smaller tail lights if you try to race it.:D
yes a defect where by my tail lights dissapear into the disstance before your turbo has spun up. :rofl: Just kiddin!