PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of Making an Insurance Claim

woovic
08-04-2006, 04:33 PM
My buddies have been having a streak of bad luck lately. One has hail damange and the other had his door dented in the parking lot when he was in the mall. What are the ramifications of making an insurance claim under these two DIFFERENT circumstances

a) Hail damage (act of nature)
b) Hit and run in a parking lot (not at fault)

I've heard that some people say that:

i) Your insurance rate will go up
ii) Your deductible will go up
iii) Your only allowed to make 3 claims in your lifetime before the insurance company refuses to insure you

Can anybody confirm, or rejects these myths/facts or would like to add some more?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
All false afaik
Comprehensive coverage covers things that are pretty much out of your control, so you are not penalized for submitting a claim.

rc2002
08-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually our insurance company almost dropped us because we made hail claims on our cars and house during that bad hailstorm a couple years ago. They said a claim is a claim - whether is's $5 or $50,000.

Expect your rates to go up after you make any claims regardless of whose fault it is.

kaput
08-04-2006, 04:59 PM

ianmcc
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Be careful about even inquiring about an insurance claim. Our Jeep from a few years ago got caught in a hail storm, kinda small hail but it left chip marks all over the body, especially all surfaces facing up. The insurance company denied the claim, saying the damage wasn't caused by hail (hmm, chips not there the day before the hail, then appear the day of the hail storm, on all horizontal surfaces). And too boot, we had a hail claim against our insurance even though the insurance company paid us nothing!
Upon further investigation, I find insurance companies will asses a claim against your policy if you even call in and ask if you are covered for a paticular situation (granted this was for homeowners-eg. if my neighbours sewer backs up and they don't have valid insurance will my insurance cover and "hypothetical" damage). True story-happened to a friend of a friend. Honest.