PDA

View Full Version : attn: jvillian :)

Zenshi
08-05-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey,

Was wondering if you could PM me, need some help with the hydra software ;(

Zenshi
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
or does anyone have his phone # they can pm me?

Zenshi
08-05-2006, 11:06 AM
got a hold of him, :)

jvillain
08-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Look guys. I don't mind helping out answering emails or replying to posts because I can usually squeeze those in while I am eating and such. But I am a contractor and I have 2 contracts I am working right now and it is not unusual for me to work 60 - 80 hours a week. Ontop of that I have to maintain the books for my company, do house and yard work etc.

Some PMs and emails I have received have had the tone that just because some one bought an MR2 it is expected that I will just do all their mechanic work for them and for free no less. If you can't do the work your self or afford to pay some one to do it then maybe you shouldn't be modifying your car.

In this case Zenshi has a number of guys working his problem but just needs some help with some thing specific to the operation of the Nemisis which not many people have experience with. That is a pretty unusual case and probably won't take much to get him to the point where him and his freinds can run with it.

Max had built up some good carma with me in the past so again was an unual case.

The guy that emailed me a couple of weeks ago expecting me to show up early Saturday morning and work all weekend on his car then got snotty when I wouldn't do it can bite me.

I would also appreaciate it if no one gave out my phone number or email address. If I find any one doing that they will never get my help again.

For people that don't have a lot of mechanical skill but are still dieing to learn how to work on cars there are a few things I can suggest.

First buy a copy of the shop manual for your year of car. The Toyota ones for the MR2 are excelent. If nothing else it will give you an idea of how big a job you are looking at to do a change. It will also help you to see what other parts might need to be replaced at the same time.

If you want to learn to work on cars offer to help some one else before you need their help. Watching how others do things and lending a hand is the best way to learn. Even if all you end up doing is scraping gaskets it is still a very importand skill to learn. Knowing what tools work where and the proper way to do it without gouging the metal is a skill that you can use your whole life.

Pretty well any thing you are ever going to do to one of these cars has been done before and often some one has a write up of it. So do some research.

Find a good knowledgable parts guy. Drive all the way across town if you have to get a good parts guy. There is nothing worse then spending half a day to get a part in only to find out it is for the March 91+ MR2 rather than your Feb 91 MR2 and the part has to come from the US and you will be down for 2 more weeks because of it.
A good parts guy will also ask you if you need the gasket or cotter pin you forgot to order with your part.

If you are working on your car and you need help maybe post on here and see if any one wants to help.

Start buying tools. And buy decent ones. Hand tools are shockingly cheap if you only buy a couple at a time. If you take care of them they will pay for them selves a million times over.

A good X number of peices socket/ratchet set from Canadian Tire or Home Depot is a great place to start. These cars are almost exclusivly metric so some thing that has mostly metric sizes makes sence.

A set of combination wrenches should be next.

Canadian Tire has the box of screw drivers on sale every other month for dirt cheap. I am sure it is a loss leader.

I am starting to sound like a Canadian Tire comercial but they also sell a set of 3 very long needle nose pliers. Straight, 45 deg and 90 deg. They are the cats ass for removing Toyata hose clamps.

A decent flash light is a must as well.

Walk into the make up department of any drug store and buy a small mirror.

At that point if you got stuff on sale you probaly spent $200 - $230 and can do 80 percent of the work you need to on your car.

After that you should know what tools you need. I would look at ramps, a floor jack, 6 ton jack stands, a breaker bar, a torque wrench, extensions, multimeter, timing light.

Remeber you don't have to buy every thing at once just do it slowly as you need things.

If any one else has some advice for others please post it.

Sorry for such a downer post but it needed to be said.

Ghettobaby
08-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread but would you mind if I asked you a question. I posted it on the 2 mr2 boards and nobody has replied maybe you can anwser it?

I will pm it to you and if you could anwser that will be great if not its alright.

JAYMEZ
08-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Ghettobaby
Sorry to hijack this thread but would you mind if I asked you a question. I posted it on the 2 mr2 boards and nobody has replied maybe you can anwser it?

I will pm it to you and if you could anwser that will be great if not its alright.

You need to read his post more carefully , if you have questions you can ask them freely on this thread , someone else might be able to help you.

Zenshi
08-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Good post Jvillian.

Im sorry if I've caused any of this :(

Hope to talk to you soon! :)

jvillain
08-07-2006, 02:10 AM
No it wasn't you Zenshi. It is just some thing that has been building up for a while. This landed in your post because things started to spiral after Maxs earlier thank you post and I didn't want this post to throw gas on the fire.