PDA

View Full Version : WTB: OOP Inspection

New2Talon
08-06-2006, 12:53 AM
I know this is probably the wrong section, but I just need some help. Mods feel free to move (I checked rules and I dont think I'm violating any...)

Heres whats up:
I am looking to get a turbo'd car from outside alberta, actually outside of Canada. I need to pass a OOP inspection before I can pass the federal inspection (anyone whos imported will know what I'm talking about) and register it. The car has a ceramic coated DP, full 3" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust, a SS resonator, and 2 SS mufflers. Now, while I do not have a problem being legal and insalling catalytic converters to pass the OOP, I was wondering if there was a way around this, because I do not want to jepordize the integrity of the exhaust (most places are MIG weld, not TIG, meant for SS, and welds will start to rust). And since I am probably going to replace the cat with the piping that was there prior to the OOP, I would like to try and keep the piping whole, without cut/weld spots of where the cat had been installed/removed, as I have talked to some places that do the inspections, and they do not care if you take the cat out right after the inspection, as long as it initially passed...

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a shop where I can get an OOP of this nature done at. I am even willing to buy the cat, just dont want to install it (can I say I am going to be doing it later?)

Can someone also please tell me what else is generally included in an OOP

Shoot me a PM
Thanks a bunch!

Penguin_Racecar
08-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Alberta doesn't have emissions laws, so your exhaust should be just fine. Most shops can do OOP, but make sure that they can do OOP on a Japanese car. There are a few differences, and I've had one shop refuse to do my car. I'm not going to recommend the shop I did get it done through. They did everything properly (and were very anal about the inspectino), but were slow with the service.
Make sure the car has daytime driving lights if it's 91 or newer, as well.

New2Talon
08-06-2006, 01:10 AM
japanese car from the states(USDM) 1998. I know DRL's need to be addressed, but I am not worried about that.

The shops i called about OOP said it needs cat to pass, but i can take the cat off the moment i pass the inspection (but WERE anal about the cat actually being on the car during the inspection)

What is the diff between reg. OOP, and one done on a jap car?

Penguin_Racecar
08-06-2006, 09:01 AM
hmm, perhaps I'm wrong about the exhaust thing then. As for differences between regular OOP and for cars from Japan, there is no difference. However - some shops are anal about the head lights being DOT approved, as well as having DOT approved tires, windshield, and so forth.

New2Talon
08-06-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll call around again on monday, because I've heard that exhaust is not an issue in Alberta from other sources also, but I am not 100% sure either way (if it is or isnt)