PDA

View Full Version : Got Into Car Accident, Need Advise

dam_guy
08-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I got into a single vehicle accident in my gf car just outside of Golden, BC.

Story goes, I was going about 100-110ish along highway 1 and all of a sudden a turkey sized bird shows up just a few meters in front of me. Having only a second or two to think, my intial reaction was to dodge it. After that, everything happened so fast, rear swings out, lost control, tried to counter steer, wheels locked, heading straight towards the concrete barrier.

Now, the passenger front corner is pushed in, hood won't latch properly, but engine and steering still normal by the way it still drives.

My phone has no reception anywhere so the only thing I could think of was to take some string I had in the car, tie down the hood as good as I can and drive back to Calgary.

Here is where I need some advice.
First, what should I do?
Do I need to go through my insurance company?
Do I need to report this accident to the police?
Car possibly fixable?

blueripper6
08-06-2006, 03:54 PM
-Post pictures of the damage, we can tell you if its fixable or not.
-Find a mechanic you trust and get them to inspect it
-only go through insurance if you cant afford it out of your own pocket, it will increase your premiums
-I dont see why you have to go to the police, unless you fucked up public property hardcore

and last, since you didnt know any of this, read your drivers handbook over again it tells you everything

LEB MAFIA
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
U lived its all good
Dont go through insurance it might cost u alotta g's
Gotta look on the bright side ur not hurt and u got to see a rare byrd lol

XylathaneGTR
08-06-2006, 04:00 PM
ouch, that sucks...
I've been told by insurance companies, driver training companies, and police that if you're going to impact a small animal, hit it, rather than dodge it. If you dodge it and still get into an accident (like you did) your insurance has no way to verify you actually were dodging an animal.

Take pictures of the damage, and the scene of the accident.
you don't have to notify your insurance company, and i don't think there is any reason to have to make a police report, as long as there were no injuries or private property damage.
If your car IS damaged worse than you think and you drive it back to calgary, and something happens and you cause a worse accident, you could be liable for that (neglegence?)

Blueripper had a good point, take it to a mechanic you trust and get it checked out before you mention it to your insurance company.

Good luck

DannyO
08-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Also when you take it to a shop to be fixed, they are gonna want a Police sticker in the window to show that you reported it, a shop won't fix it till then, as it could of been a hit and run, doesn't take long to get and it doesn't cost anything, just needs to be reported, I think they will also send people out to the location to see if there is any public damage (I guess not since you hit a concrete barrier), but they just want to check it out to verify I guess.

stevieo
08-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
Also when you take it to a shop to be fixed, they are gonna want a Police sticker in the window to show that you reported it, a shop won't fix it till then, as it could of been a hit and run, doesn't take long to get and it doesn't cost anything, just needs to be reported, I think they will also send people out to the location to see if there is any public damage (I guess not since you hit a concrete barrier), but they just want to check it out to verify I guess.

I wonder how that would work, he got in an accident near Golden, BC. Does he go back to Golden? or does the Police report here in Calgary work?

DannyO
08-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

I wonder how that would work, he got in an accident near Golden, BC. Does he go back to Golden? or does the Police report here in Calgary work?

That I do not know, hopefully one here will work.

dam_guy
08-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the help people.
And as I said, it was my intial reaction to dodge.
If I had more time to think, I probably would have gone with option B and just mowed that fucker down

*prettyboy*
08-07-2006, 03:19 AM
lmfao i wish u did mow the fucker down
it would save u money and you could show us pics of the damage to the bird
:D