PDA

View Full Version : Lumiere's in Vancouver

89coupe
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
If you are in Vancouver and want to experience an amazing dining experience and the most incredible food, make a reservation at www.lumiere.ca

but be prepared to open your pocket book up wide.

This was one of the restaurants we hit up while in Van and I must say it was the most amazing food and dining experience I have ever enjoyed. Unlike most restaurants where you can order from a number of different entrees, at Lumiere's you would order from three different menus that consisted of a variety of different samples that the Chef has created. We both got the Signature menu and by the end were stuffed and enjoyed some of the best food we have ever tasted.

For two people, a bottle of wine and five beers, the bill came to $666.00 with tip.

Worth every penny.

l8braker
08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
+1 Amazing place.

Glad we didn't have to pay for any of it. Biggest bill i've ever seen :rofl:

accord885
08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey I saw the chef from that place on Iron Chef and he won. Should be a creat place.

Tripz
08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
He also owns the restuarant beside Lumiere. It's called Feenies, alot cheaper than Lumiere and won't hurt the pocket much. :thumbsup:

dj_rice
08-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Tripz
He also owns the restuarant beside Lumiere. It's called Feenies, alot cheaper than Lumiere and won't hurt the pocket much. :thumbsup:

Feenies is casual relaxed bistro, a place to take your gf, whereas Lumieres is a totally different atmosphere and upscale dining, a place to take your mistress :rofl:

IMO Hes one of Canada's best chefs cause of his French/Asian influence on his cooking style

Rob Feenie FTW!!

sputnik
08-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
For two people, a bottle of wine and five beers, the bill came to $666.00 with tip.

Which bottle of wine did you order?

89coupe
08-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Which bottle of wine did you order?

I can't recall. The GF ordered the wine, it was Italian, red and a blend...LOL It was $110.00 so probably around $45.00 in your local wine store.

max_boost
08-08-2006, 10:49 PM
OMG that place looks incredible. So even without the beer and wine the bill is around $400? I'm cool with that if the experience is truly that amazing.

And I thought my $180usd bill (2 people -- 1 drink) at Nobu in Malibu was out of the ordinary. haha

Is there anything that upscale here in Calgary?

Gondi Stylez
08-09-2006, 03:07 AM
Yea, this place is awesome! Ate there last year with the GF and we both had a great time! Rob Feenie is a close friend of my cousins so it was on the house ;)

nosegrindR
08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Feenies (next door to Lumiere) is +1 as well :thumbsup:

TimG
08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I used to live in the condos 1 block from Lumiere's on W Broadway.

lemme tell ya, on my way home from work, i'd walk by there and see (no joke) about $4 million dollars worth of cars parked in front of that place almost every day. Feenie drives a nice M3, also :thumbsup:

off topic: Benny's and Moderne Burger are a stone's throw from there are are amazing, too :)

RiCE-DaDDy
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
^ i go by there all the time, i dont seee nice cars everyday

aram1000
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
sounds like a great place, i gotta check it out when i get a hefty raise

TimG
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
I was going by there between 5 and 6pm mon-fri.

I would regularly see Porsche CGT's, C4S's Bentley's, Lambos, Ferrari's etc parked where hte Valet usually stands.

there was also someone who lived about a block west of that place near the Bikram's yoga place that would street park his 2005 bmw 7-series :eek:

l8braker
08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by TimG
I was going by there between 5 and 6pm mon-fri.

I would regularly see Porsche CGT's, C4S's Bentley's, Lambos, Ferrari's etc parked where hte Valet usually stands.

there was also someone who lived about a block west of that place near the Bikram's yoga place that would street park his 2005 bmw 7-series :eek:

:werd: When we were there i remember a CL600, S600, SL55, Bentley Arnage, Gallardo and a Ruf Porsche.... :thumbsup:

gongSHOW
08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Usually go there when I head over to Vancouver. He's a pretty nice guy to, meet him and his food was amazing. I ate had his iron chef dish last time I was there. He drive a M3 too.

E36M3
08-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Lumiere is nice, but Nobu is much better in my opinion. Not as pretentious and the food is better.

If you want truly over the top, the restaurant commonly considered to be the best in the world is worth a visit (located in Napa Valley):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Laundry

The French Laundry makes everywhere else I have been pale in comparison, although Lumiere is very nice for Canada.

Better, cheaper food (amazing fresh seafood, great steaks) can be had at Joe Fortes (also in Vancouver).

Originally posted by max_boost
OMG that place looks incredible. So even without the beer and wine the bill is around $400? I'm cool with that if the experience is truly that amazing.

And I thought my $180usd bill (2 people -- 1 drink) at Nobu in Malibu was out of the ordinary. haha

Is there anything that upscale here in Calgary?

89coupe
08-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
Lumiere is nice, but Nobu is much better in my opinion. Not as pretentious and the food is better.

If you want truly over the top, the restaurant commonly considered to be the best in the world is worth a visit (located in Napa Valley):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Laundry

The French Laundry makes everywhere else I have been pale in comparison, although Lumiere is very nice for Canada.

Better, cheaper food (amazing fresh seafood, great steaks) can be had at Joe Fortes (also in Vancouver).

I just did a search on Nobu and it appears to be Japanese cousine, not French cousine?

I'm not sure how you can compare the two as they offer a completely different experience?

Gondi Stylez
08-14-2006, 02:33 PM

I just did a search on Nobu and it appears to be Japanese cousine, not French cousine?

I'm not sure how you can compare the two as they offer a completely different experience?

:werd:

and also, from what i have heard, nobu has gone down since morimoto left --> his protege just isnt as good or as well trained

morimotos own resturant in philly is supposed to be $$... self named. he went into business with stephen starr, one of the best in the business (if not the best)

Ripper
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Hmm, I'm going to Napa valley on thursday, perhaps I should have made reservations a couple months ago :D.

Gondi Stylez
08-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Thomas Keller, the chef at FL is great from what I have heard but Rob Feenie is EXCELLENT at what he does and not only is Lumiere regarded as one of the best French resturants in Canada but it is also regarded as such in North America hense RF's debut on Iron Chef.

People are too quick to knock Canadian resturants and ASSume that America has the creame of the crop when it comes to worls class eatiers. To some extent that may be true but with the fine dining establishents i have eaten in both canada and the US, canada is right on par and at time BETTER then some american places.

BTW the other thing the sets Lumiere apart from some other resturants is that RF sources and buys all his ingredients! the only other chefs that i know who do this are Suser Lee @ Suser and Guy Rubino @ Rain and Luce, although im sure there is more

dj_rice
08-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

and also, from what i have heard, nobu has gone down since morimoto left --> his protege just isnt as good or as well trained

morimotos own resturant in philly is supposed to be $$... self named. he went into business with stephen starr, one of the best in the business (if not the best)

I watched Opening Soon episode of Morimoto's restaurant...it was fugging awesome...I like the color changing lights and tables and the whole design layout...cost mucho dinero though :bigpimp: We need a trendy restaurant like that in Calgary, called DJ RICE :thumbsup:

Thomas Keller, the chef at FL is great from what I have heard but Rob Feenie is EXCELLENT at what he does and not only is Lumiere regarded as one of the best French resturants in Canada but it is also regarded as such in North America hense RF's debut on Iron Chef.

People are too quick to knock Canadian resturants and ASSume that America has the creame of the crop when it comes to worls class eatiers. To some extent that may be true but with the fine dining establishents i have eaten in both canada and the US, canada is right on par and at time BETTER then some american places.

BTW the other thing the sets Lumiere apart from some other resturants is that RF sources and buys all his ingredients! the only other chefs that i know who do this are Suser Lee @ Suser and Guy Rubino @ Rain and Luce, although im sure there is more

DAMN....U know Suser Lee and the Rubino Brothers???Touche my friend...u are quite knowledgeable....I like the layout and concept of Rain, small amount of food on each plate but taste and flavour out of this world, and how Michael Rubino even trys to match up each course to what wine would taste best with that particular dish complimenting each other
Suser Lee and Ming Tsai :thumbsup:

RF has an advantage though....his restaurant is on the West Coast and has a direct source of fresh seafood, wines and produce but props to you for pointing that out

Also whats funny is Guy Rubino use to work at a few famous restaurats.. at Nobu's way back in the day before Morimoto and even with Bobby Flay at Mesa Grill

E36M3
08-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm not assuming anything, I've been to both.

Canada does not come close to the United States at the top end, and to say so is ignorant and a little ridiculous. New York and San Francisco have dozens of world class restaurants while Canada only has a handful (that is not to mention the dozen or so other US cities which qualify, including Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas and others)

The hardest thing to overcome is Canada's climate, which makes having amazing fresh ingredients that much harder. In places like California, you get two growing seasons and the option of fresh ingredients daily year round, which is just not realistic in most places in Canada.

Thomas Keller sources all of his ingredients, and does so to an unbelievable degree. You obviously haven't done your homework on the guy or else you wouldn't have made such ridiculous ASSumptions (what a stupid thing to write by the way).

Anyway, Lumiere is good for Canada, no doubt, but on the world stage it is only average at the high end level. Iron Chef is hardly the pinnacle of the food world, but it was definitely an interesting battle, and Canada was made to look world class in that episode, no doubt.

89coupe
08-14-2006, 06:25 PM

Canada does not come close to the United States at the top end, and to say so is ignorant and a little ridiculous. New York and San Francisco have dozens of world class restaurants while Canada only has a handful (that is not to mention the dozen or so other US cities which qualify, including Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas and others)

The hardest thing to overcome is Canada's climate, which makes having amazing fresh ingredients that much harder. In places like California, you get two growing seasons and the option of fresh ingredients daily year round, which is just not realistic in most places in Canada.

Thomas Keller sources all of his ingredients, and does so to an unbelievable degree. You obviously haven't done your homework on the guy or else you wouldn't have made such ridiculous ASSumptions (what a stupid thing to write by the way).

Anyway, Lumiere is good for Canada, no doubt, but on the world stage it is only average at the high end level. Iron Chef is hardly the pinnacle of the food world, but it was definitely an interesting battle, and Canada was made to look world class in that episode, no doubt.

I'm heading to Vegas in Oct. Tell me a Restaurant there that is better then Lumieres?

I would be curious to see for myself.

E36M3
08-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Guy Savoy is a good place to start in Vegas if you want the best they have to offer:

http://www.robbreport.com/Articles/Leisure/Dine/Dining-Vive-Las-Vegas.asp

Thomas Keller has a bistro in Vegas (not comparable to Lumiere because it is half the price and much more low key, but still excellent called Bouchon. Nobu at the Hard Rock is the best Japanese restaurant I have ever been to (Tojo's in Vancouver is often compared to it.. I was there last week and had an awful experience so I am going to have to try it again)

Anyway, let me know how you make out. I would be happy to recommend other great places as well.

I'm heading to Vegas in Oct. Tell me a Restaurant there that is better then Lumieres?

I would be curious to see for myself.

Gondi Stylez
08-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I watched Opening Soon episode of Morimoto's restaurant...it was fugging awesome...I like the color changing lights and tables and the whole design layout...cost mucho dinero though :bigpimp: We need a trendy restaurant like that in Calgary, called DJ RICE :thumbsup:

DAMN....U know Suser Lee and the Rubino Brothers???Touche my friend...u are quite knowledgeable....I like the layout and concept of Rain, small amount of food on each plate but taste and flavour out of this world, and how Michael Rubino even trys to match up each course to what wine would taste best with that particular dish complimenting each other

RF has an advantage though....his restaurant is on the West Coast and has a direct source of fresh seafood, wines and produce but props to you for pointing that out

Also whats funny is Guy Rubino use to work at a few famous restaurats.. at Nobu's way back in the day before Morimoto and even with Bobby Flay at Mesa Grill

You know about Ming Tsai?! He is freakin awesome! I went out on a limb a few months gao and bough his ceramic knives that he raves aboout and i must say that they are damn nice but i do love my wustofs!

r u a chef or in the food industry or just a foody?!?! i dont know mant people that know about some of these chefs....

Gondi Stylez
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM

all i meant was that Canada can hold its own and for sure the US has many advantages over Canada but that doesnt mean that canada is less superior or the food is thusly. The cities that house world class fine dining establishments is obviously much greater in the states and has chefs such as Wolf Gang Puck and Ken Oringer but Canada has a cusine unto itself and it should be apprecaited as such. its like comparing France or Italy to the US. Why even bother!

Anyways, live life and enjoy great food, in every country :thumbsup:

awd
08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Rob Feenie is a whiny bitch but Lumieres is a great spot.

89coupe
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Guy Savoy is a good place to start in Vegas if you want the best they have to offer:

Thomas Keller has a bistro in Vegas (not comparable to Lumiere because it is half the price and much more low key, but still excellent called Bouchon. Nobu at the Hard Rock is the best Japanese restaurant I have ever been to (Tojo's in Vancouver is often compared to it.. I was there last week and had an awful experience so I am going to have to try it again)

Anyway, let me know how you make out. I would be happy to recommend other great places as well.

I ate a Tojo's and it was a joke really. Way over priced, and the atmosphere was low budget at best.

Quality of Tojo's visually and decor wise compared to Lumieres is like comparing a Ford Fiat to a Carrera GT.

I honestly can say that I would find it very hard to experience another restaurant that could top Lumieres. I can see it being as nice for sure but how can you top "Perfect" and that was my dining experience at Lumieres, PERFECT!

E36M3
08-20-2006, 06:24 PM

I ate a Tojo's and it was a joke really. Way over priced, and the atmosphere was low budget at best.

Quality of Tojo's visually and decor wise compared to Lumieres is like comparing a Ford Fiat to a Carrera GT.

I honestly can say that I would find it very hard to experience another restaurant that could top Lumieres. I can see it being as nice for sure but how can you top "Perfect" and that was my dining experience at Lumieres, PERFECT!

I agree.. Tojo's atmosphere was garbage, and I was hoping to be blown away by the food but was disappointed. I also agree with your analogy.

Experience is everything, Lumiere might be the best restaurant in the world to you.

t-im
08-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Nobu use to be good, but went downhill. The last few times i've been (Miami & NYC) I've been really disapointed. Morimoto is good..going back again this Saturday. Prix fixe menu is 120usd pp.

E36M3
08-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I've always had great experiences at Nobu, and Matsuhisa is amazing (the restaurant Nobu Matsuhisa works out of).. it has been good at like the 8 locations I've been to, which is bizarre.

To be honest, I'm sure it isn't as good as it used to be, with the exception of Matsuhisa.

89coupe
11-07-2006, 10:57 AM

I tried Hyakumi's while I was in Vegas. Probably the best sushi bar I have ate at. Very pricey but very good.:thumbsup:

E36M3
05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Nobu is tough to beat.. I've been there 6 or 8 times in the last three weeks, so I'm a bit biased. I am not sure how the food can be much better there, as sushi isn't exactly rocket science.

Did you try the yellowtail, the various beef stuff and the Toro tartar?

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I have been to Nobu in the Hard Rock (April 06, Xmas 06) and it is by far one of my favorite experiences, slightly better than my experience at Nobu in NYC (March 06).

I love the food, ambiance and the fact that you have 4 waiters circling your table...you would be hard pressed to find better service anywhere.

I agree with E36 in that 89coupe's experience was the best to HIM, kinda hard though when you haven't eaten at all the OTHER "best" restaurants in the world to claim that Lumiere is the best, no?

That being said, yes Lumiere is excellent, the best though?...Not in my opinion either...I'd still do Nobu.

ZorroAMG
05-25-2007, 02:19 PM
YES! for a sushi-strong place, they sure do a fantastic beef, especially the one with the Anti-cucho, peruvian chili paste. I have also had the Yellow-tail, not the toro though...

(i deleted my original post and reposted it in the vancouver dining thread, sorry E36 :) )

BoS_DC2
05-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Too much food network Sir.. Rubino brothers are inspiring.