PDA

View Full Version : Moving To Edmonton Soon, looking for work.

Twatson
08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm in the process of saving money, selling my cars yadda yadda, i'm sure you've all heard the story a million times. But i am saving to move out to Edmonton, i know a few ppl out there but thats not my concern. My concern is i don't want to get out there and have another job that i dispise. I'm looking for a good paying job,something more than $11.00/h it doesn't really matter what it is. i'm willing to try anything once. does anyone have any recommendations as to where to apply for a good paying job?

I've never even left the Maritime provinces in my life so im kinda clueless as to what else is available.

Any tips, hints, or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated. i've done everything from construction to cooking to call center work, so nothing is outta the question.

Thanks again everyone.

the_fornicator
08-08-2006, 03:35 PM
man, there's a ton of stuff you can do if you don't care.

bartend => always hardup for reliable people
home depot pays like $12/hr
starbucks pays like $14/hr for the one in the university hospital

check out the papers. there are always wanted adds for laborers.

keep in mind though that $10/hr is sorta average around here, but the cost of living also increases a bit too given the boom.

check out NAIT (some sorta college) adds too. I'm sure there are a bunch of employment opportunities posted there too.

Team_Mclaren
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
is there a reason why you would want to move to edmonton instead of other cities?

anyway. It's not hard to find a job that pays 11/hr. All depends on what you want to do. There are warehouse work that pays more than 11/hr.

good luck

Twatson
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Wow quick responses! thanks everyone!

well.....Edmonton is ultimately where i would like to be because i have friends that just moved out there and i kinda wanna be close to them, and my girlfriend was originally planning on moving to Edmonton until we got together now she won't leave without me and i wanna go out west too its just a matter of where. i mean Edmonton isn't set in stone. but it would be nice. next place i had in mind was Calgary

what do u all think is the best bet?

PearlTSX
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
What kind of work experience do you have? What kind of job are you looking for?

Twatson
08-08-2006, 04:07 PM
well.I've done residential foundations for 2 years,i've worked for a honda/harley bike shop, i've worked for automotive parts places,i absolutley love working on cars, i just don't have any actual credentials to back up what i know. its just been a hobby for as long as i can remember. i've been a line cook for roughly 8 months, i've done internet tech support for 3 years, 6 months of which i have been a supervisor and still am now.

I've helped build houses.all the houses i lived in with my parents, they built, so i obivously jumped right in and got as much experience as i could. i mean i've done a little bit of alotta stuff.

I'm open to any ideas, i just need to leave the east coast and im willing to try anything once, or maybe 2 or 3 times.

Twatson
08-08-2006, 04:25 PM
I've gone as far as to work 2 full-time jobs at the same time for 8 months straight, my work ethic is good to say the least.I have only missed 1 day of work in the last 2 years. I'm very dedicated to any job i have, because any job worth doing is worth doing well is the way i look at it.

I'm an eager beaver right now.

Team_Mclaren
08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
if you like workign on cars, go start your apprenticeship and study at NAIT

sputnik
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Construction jobs are everywhere. You should have no problems getting $12/hr or more as a labourer.

More if you have actually skills.

GTS Jeff
08-08-2006, 09:00 PM
There are a lot of newfies in the oil patch if that's your thing.

Twatson
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
i just wanna find a job thats is gonna pay the bills and let me save a little bit. im sick of the east coast and working my balls off for little to NO money.

Auditor
08-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Try applying at Dell, Shaw and Telus.

They are always hiring for there call centre's and pay around $15-20 I think.