PDA

View Full Version : Bike test

08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
I booked my test for this weekend, pretty nervous, what can I expect? is it hard?

how long did yours take?

give me some info!

skandalouz_08
08-08-2006, 10:44 PM
make sure you can start on a hill without rolling backwards, probably the hardest part

ashee
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Are there any specifications (age restrictions, need class 5, etc.) you need before doing the training/test to get a bike license? My cousin works for Yamaha and always has nice bikes I would love to be able to drive and not just ride on the back of...

h22aseller
08-09-2006, 07:16 AM
get your bike test permit, it lets you practice as long as you're with someone that has their class 6. not on the same bike though.

The test itself is not too bad, like was said previously make sure you can start on a hill and keep an eye out for your lane position. Also, make sure you relax because every time you stall your bike they deduct 10 points. (I don't know what the threshold for failure is)

Oh ya, and my tester said that quite often people fail because they forget to check at uncontrolled intersections repeatedly.

viffer
08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
If you're nervous about the test, take a training course first. IMO training should be mandatory before obtaining a class 6. It is well worth the money and your confidence will improve.

Grip172
08-13-2006, 08:28 PM
woo woo, test august 27th for me :O 3 days before my bday

Barlow
08-13-2006, 08:36 PM
haha SWEET,

I'm so pumped i just did my calgary safety council test and passed, then also passed my class 6 test as well, now the fun part looking for bikes to buy looking for the usual suspects GSXR's R6's CBR's really loving the CBR though, neway back on topic,

i highly sugest the weekend course 3 days out of your life to learn the fundamentals of bikes, and how to ride alive, then test at end for licence and heavily discounted insurance, sorrry for the rant but just got my piece of paper like 3 hours ago and waiting for monday to get my actual licence :)

best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do :) lets go riding

drox
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Barlow
haha SWEET,

I'm so pumped i just did my calgary safety council test and passed, then also passed my class 6 test as well, now the fun part looking for bikes to buy looking for the usual suspects GSXR's R6's CBR's really loving the CBR though, neway back on topic, Just pass your test and your shopping for a race replica... Great fucking idea :rolleyes:

Does it ever come across ANYONES mind why you see so many new bikes that are completely fucked over and look like they belong in a junk yard? Ive lost count how many people ruined their bikes in less than a week of owning it, ending up selling them, losing thousands and go the rest of their life saying bikes are dangerous? Bikes arent dangerous, stupid drivers are.

R6, Ninja 636, CBR RRs, GSXR ARE NOT GOOD STARTER BIKES.

Billet
09-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by drox
Just pass your test and your shopping for a race replica... Great fucking idea :rolleyes:

Does it ever come across ANYONES mind why you see so many new bikes that are completely fucked over and look like they belong in a junk yard? Ive lost count how many people ruined their bikes in less than a week of owning it, ending up selling them, losing thousands and go the rest of their life saying bikes are dangerous? Bikes arent dangerous, stupid drivers are.

R6, Ninja 636, CBR RRs, GSXR ARE NOT GOOD STARTER BIKES.

sure they are. So are 1000's. Stupid riders are stupid riders no matter what bike they are on.

quit blaming the bike!

drox
09-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Youll have one of those "oh fuck" moments and then boom, your bikes fucked because you froze. They havent trained their mind how to think and dont have the instincts to pull out of it. See it so many times... Dont believe me? Check out basically ANY true bike enthusiast forum. You ever realize every other thread on sportbikes.net is "i laid it down" or "its gone..."?

Ive noticed a lot of people think theyre so fast and blah blah because theyre riding one of the faster sport bikes on the face of the fucking planet.... Then they go around corners and have to go twice as slow?

Bottom line, smaller bikes give you more confidence, theyre easier to maneuver and in the event of those 'oh fuck' moments... they are MUCH MUCH MUCH more forgiving. Plus theyre cheaper to buy. You're going to drop your bike the first year you have it whether your going 80km/h or its sitting in your driveway. Believe it.

On another note, I cant believe dealerships dont pretty much talk everyone of their customers into frame sliders before they pick up their bike. Thats almost just mean :thumbsdow

True, SOME (a very rare few) get r1's or zx12's or whatever and dont crash them as fast as most of the squids on cbr600s and shit... but their riding skill is still shit. Its too much bike to start on, bottom line. Youll never beable to ride it on a race track at 90% and you know it.

PureDeXteritY
09-16-2006, 02:23 AM
like the peeps above said, aside from the ones squabbling about what bike to start on (that's a different thread boys)

just make sure your lane position is good, everytime your road position is no good or you straddle the lane you get deducted 10 points. Make sure your uphill starts are good (practice makes perfect) signal properly, and they like it when you shoulder check when lane changing. main thing is to Relax, it's actually pretty easy.

Most common mistakes are;
-Improper/Late signaling -10 points
-Signal too soon/late - 5 points
-Rolls Back (parking uphill) -10 points
-Road Position -10 points
-Improper lane change -10 points
-speed is too Fast/Slow -10 points

That's just a few of them though, just use your common sense.

75 points and you fail, but of course there are the automatic fails
(right of way violation, stop sign violation, unable to perform skill maneuver ect...)

Good Luck

tapout
09-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by drox
Youll have one of those "oh fuck" moments and then boom, your bikes fucked because you froze. They havent trained their mind how to think and dont have the instincts to pull out of it. See it so many times... Dont believe me? Check out basically ANY true bike enthusiast forum. You ever realize every other thread on sportbikes.net is "i laid it down" or "its gone..."?

Ive noticed a lot of people think theyre so fast and blah blah because theyre riding one of the faster sport bikes on the face of the fucking planet.... Then they go around corners and have to go twice as slow?

Bottom line, smaller bikes give you more confidence, theyre easier to maneuver and in the event of those 'oh fuck' moments... they are MUCH MUCH MUCH more forgiving. Plus theyre cheaper to buy. You're going to drop your bike the first year you have it whether your going 80km/h or its sitting in your driveway. Believe it.

On another note, I cant believe dealerships dont pretty much talk everyone of their customers into frame sliders before they pick up their bike. Thats almost just mean :thumbsdow

True, SOME (a very rare few) get r1's or zx12's or whatever and dont crash them as fast as most of the squids on cbr600s and shit... but their riding skill is still shit. Its too much bike to start on, bottom line. Youll never beable to ride it on a race track at 90% and you know it. :werd:

drox
09-17-2006, 05:53 PM
To get back on topic...

That ghetto license testing place on 8th ave beside that asian supermarket (in forest lawn ;) )... easiest road test I ever did. Took all of 10 minutes. I dont think you could fail that test unless you have no riding ability. Shoulder check for everything, its not like you can see anything in the mirrors of a sport bike anyways.