PDA

View Full Version : Crown Vic Police Interceptor : Daily Driver?

bituerbo
08-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Current car is a 2000 Audi S4 which I'm thinking of selling for a crown vic police interceptor.

I'm tired of worrying about my car all the time, afraid to leave it places, attracting the wrong attention, and tired of detailing it every 3 days.

What are peoples thoughts on the CVPI's?
I'd have some cash left in my pocket for a project/sporty car down the road if I got the need for speed... or does anyone know compatibility between mustang products and the Crown Vic?

Any input is much appreciated.

Toms-SC
08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I've noticed that here in Calgary they are cheap and you know they are well maintained. :)

teggypimp95
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Would be fun to drive to the races saturday night and scare the crap out of all the lil 16 year olds. :D

gp36912
08-09-2006, 09:18 AM
:D sounds like a good plan if you want it :D how much are you letting your s4 go for? and is it a 6speed? pm me with specs on your car, i am interested in it

kaput
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM

gofastmerc
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I had ex-cop car Mustang. It ran great, it never gave me any grief for the 4 years I had it. I would buy a cop car again. I don't know what the CV had for upgrads, I think they have more done to them than the mustangs did.

5hift
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Current car is a 2000 Audi S4 which I'm thinking of selling for a crown vic police interceptor.

I'm tired of worrying about my car all the time, afraid to leave it places, attracting the wrong attention, and tired of detailing it every 3 days.

Dont get me wrong, 00 S4's are great cars, but this is Calgary where 06 S4's as well as a ton of more pricy luxury/exotic cars are a common sight. Unless your car is pimped out it probably doesnt attract as much attention as you think. Detailing your car every 3 days is your own problem and has nothing to do with the car. Your basicly downgrading from a AWD luxury sport sedan luxury to a full size Ford Sedan.

ryder_23
08-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kaput
If you've ever taken a taxi you know they aren't that comfortable. But, if you really want one then wait for a little bit longer cause CPS just started replacing all theirs with Chargers.

:rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I have an S4, its black and lowered tastefully and I wouldn't say it stands out unless you know what your looking at. The only thing distinguishing it from a lowered A4 is the S badge on the back and the grille, and perhaps the 17" rims. It looks like a nice, clean 4-door sedan to 95% of the population I would think. I wouldn't call it an attention grabber. Also, maybe its just me, but going to a ford CV is about as large of a downgrade as possible from just about any car IMO. When it comes time for a change, I will either go K04's with my current car or I will buy a 2002-2003 BMW M5.

sh0ko
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
buy a civic BWAHAHAHA

bituerbo
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure... The S4 was my dream car growing up (the old UrS4) and when they came out with the revamped design for '00 I knew I'd own one as soon as they fell to my price point.

I've owned it - and it's nice... part of me wants something bigger. I'm not sure if I could handle the shock of a cheaply made north american interior. On the plus side I'd be driving a car worth 1/4 the value of my current car, would would care about it about 1/4 as much.

I just had my S4 painted, and I could not put it through a calgary winter now she's looking as good as she is.

bituerbo
08-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
I had ex-cop car Mustang. It ran great, it never gave me any grief for the 4 years I had it. I would buy a cop car again. I don't know what the CV had for upgrads, I think they have more done to them than the mustangs did.

Quite a lot up upgrades actually;

Oil Cooler
Transmission Cooler
High-output alternator (all the extra police electronics)
Heavy Duty suspension
Heavy Duty engine cooling

and depending on the model, some have more aggressive gears in the rear end (whether it was a city model or highway model).

AzN'SKillZ
08-09-2006, 02:51 PM
i think owning a crown vic would be fun. u wouldent encounter asswhole drivers that will cut u off. ull see that ppl will slow the fcuk donw wen ur around. and from what i herd there really fast.

only thing is that wen i took mechanic in high school the teacher said that those cars are no good cuz most of there life time is spent ideling infront of tim hortons.

bituerbo
08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ
i think owning a crown vic would be fun. u wouldent encounter asswhole drivers that will cut u off. ull see that ppl will slow the fcuk donw wen ur around. and from what i herd there really fast.

only thing is that wen i took mechanic in high school the teacher said that those cars are no good cuz most of there life time is spent ideling infront of tim hortons.

Actually, your mechanics teach should know that because these cars aren't started and stopped as much they would have received less wear than a standard crown vic, as it's heat cycling that kills components (cold starts 3-4 times a day instead of once a day)

IhateDomestic
08-09-2006, 02:53 PM
crown vic police interceptor <--- where would you get one? that would actually be a fun winter car

bituerbo
08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Auto acutions... 3,500 - 5,000 for a good condition less than 100k.

SilverBoost
08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Put a siren in it and have a blast.

asdfasd
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Auto acutions... 3,500 - 5,000 for a good condition less than 100k.

Is there a site for this or is it in the paper somewhere? I'm a little interested myself. Thanks.

dino_martini
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Get one. You will scare the crap out of the drivers around you..maybe people will smarten up around you.

barbarian
08-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Full size Ford's are expensive to fix when they break down, and they will break down a lot.

rc2002
08-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I would never buy a police interceptor. Those things are usually beat and the motors are tired when they sell them. They're always running for the full shift - never shut off. Plus they're not driven very nicely, I've seen them jump on huge curbs all the time and going over some rough terrain.

69cougar
08-09-2006, 08:22 PM
thnk how hard they are driven. The k's are low but they are hard k's.

dudeman
08-09-2006, 08:37 PM
^^^ While a lot of the police interceptors that i've seen have been beat on pretty hard, it would be a fun sleeper project. Saw a police interceptor with a highly modified 4.6l from the previous generation mustang, something like 600 horses, stock looking on the inside and out. Looked like fun! But then again, whos gonna race you? you look like a cop! Still, for weekend runs at race city, and care free driving during the week, not much beats it!

Best of luck!

AzN'SKillZ
08-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
crown vic police interceptor &lt;--- where would you get one? that would actually be a fun winter car

police auction

AzN'SKillZ
08-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by asdfasd

Is there a site for this or is it in the paper somewhere? I'm a little interested myself. Thanks.

go on google and search "calgary police auction"
look for a site that says faq.

bituerbo
08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I'd go with one of the RCMP models sold out in BC - they come with a more tuned suspension and a different engine tune providing slightly more power - apparantly.

Graham_A_M
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
Full size Ford's are expensive to fix when they break down, and they will break down a lot.
what the fuck are you talking about? I used to work for a cab company... they are ULTRA reliable.. its rare to see a late 1990's crown vic cop car with less then 500,000 kilometers on it... before they start to see "ANY" non-maintence repairs. You should come by my old workplace.... cars with 700,000+++ kilometers are not at all uncommon.. with the stock (non-rebuilt) engine. I remember seeing a 1992 Caprice with 964,000 on it.. .and a 2000 Grand Marquis (Nicer version of a Crown vic) with 878,000 kilometers.

their incredibly reliable... and are VERY easy to get parts for.
hop in a Crown vic cab... and ask the driver how many kilometers.. as well as the maintenence costs... The *ONLY* weak point they have is the transmission. In daily driver stop and go traffic... they may need a rebuild at about 400,000-600,000 kilometers.

Do your research before you slam something:rolleyes:

A given police interceptor version will have

-12-14" brakes (depending on year)
- heavily modified cooling system (for all the idling)
-steeper cams, and redone ECU... now 240HP
-much stiffer suspension.

Checker/yellow top cabs (my old employer) stopped using former cop cars in 1998 because the ride (really stiff springs) offer way too rough of a ride.
Dont worry about irregular maintenence repairs until 400,000km.

(which is pretty comforting to know)

EDIT: I've never seen any Impala cop cars... but (so I've been told) they have LS1 engines in them.. and are also very relible. Most Impala's I've seen are also great cars.. with no given "weak point" the one I remember seeing had 623,000 on it.. and still ran great... didn't blow blue or anything
Thats why I say imports are over-rated...

Also.. you can get both styles of cop cars at the Michellar Allen Auction... google that. Thats their seller of choice.

asdfasd
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - Michellar Allen Auction - did not match any documents.

noooooooooooooooooooo!

Graham_A_M
08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.michenerallen.com/

that took a fair bit of dorking around on Google. its hard to remember the exact name since its easy to think its "michellar" not michener.. but meh.. thats just me.

Anyway I hope that helps. Thats the choice for the police/fleet auction.. you can get some wicked deals there. but expect huge turnouts.. everybody is looking for a deal.

lbrowne
08-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by barbarian

Crown Vics and its other sibling (Town Car) are noted for their GREAT reliablity.

I crack up at the comments about those cars being driven hard because I promise you theres tons of personally owned cars here driven 10 times worse. The thing about those cop cars is, they're kept on a regular maintenance scedule.

Go for it, I think it would be a laugh to have one. THey ride SUPER nice, infact every cab I was in they maybe just took good care of the car cuz it rode very very nice.

lbrowne
08-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

EDIT: I've never seen any Impala cop cars... but (so I've been told) they have LS1 engines in them.. and are also very relible. Most Impala's I've seen are also great cars.. with no given &quot;weak point&quot; the one I remember seeing had 623,000 on it.. and still ran great... didn't blow blue or anything

Also.. you can get both styles of cop cars at the Michellar Allen Auction... google that. Thats their seller of choice.

Thank god someone else who knows about the crown vics :)

The older police cars that were chevy were the LT1 Caprices, the later model Impalas (FWD) actually had the 3.8 6cyl in them (played hockey with a few cops in Fort Mac). They never used the LS1 in chevy 4 door sedan cop cars to my knowledge other than ther LS1 interceptor camaros in the US.

I think a CRown Vic interceptor would be a great daily driver - something you could surprise a few riceboys at the stop lights - especially if you put a couple of bucks into the car (higher stall, lower gears etc)

Graham_A_M
08-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by lbrowne

Thank god someone else who knows about the crown vics :)

The older police cars that were chevy were the LT1 Caprices, the later model Impalas (FWD) actually had the 3.8 6cyl in them (played hockey with a few cops in Fort Mac). They never used the LS1 in chevy 4 door sedan cop cars to my knowledge other than ther LS1 interceptor camaros in the US.

I think a CRown Vic interceptor would be a great daily driver - something you could surprise a few riceboys at the stop lights - especially if you put a couple of bucks into the car (higher stall, lower gears etc)
I thought so... I was told they had the LS1.. but for a FWD car.. that sounded a little fishy. Its probably the beefed up Supercharged version found in a GTP or a Bonneville SS. BTW... THe police interceptors Crown Vics have a 3:73 rear end rather then the 3:43 (or what ever the stock rear is for the normal Crown Vic)

kaput
08-12-2006, 11:22 PM

dino_martini
08-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Look at lot 812 on this page:

http://www.michenerallen.com/Automotive.htm

barbarian
08-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Look at lot 812 on this page:

http://www.michenerallen.com/Automotive.htm
Do the cop Crown Victoria's come with power locks? Power windows?

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

what the fuck are you talking about? I used to work for a cab company... they are ULTRA reliable.. its rare to see a late 1990's crown vic cop car with less then 500,000 kilometers on it... before they start to see &quot;ANY&quot; non-maintence repairs. You should come by my old workplace.... cars with 700,000+++ kilometers are not at all uncommon.. with the stock (non-rebuilt) engine. I remember seeing a 1992 Caprice with 964,000 on it.. .and a 2000 Grand Marquis (Nicer version of a Crown vic) with 878,000 kilometers.

their incredibly reliable... and are VERY easy to get parts for.
hop in a Crown vic cab... and ask the driver how many kilometers.. as well as the maintenence costs... The *ONLY* weak point they have is the transmission. In daily driver stop and go traffic... they may need a rebuild at about 400,000-600,000 kilometers.

Do your research before you slam something:rolleyes:

A given police interceptor version will have

-12-14&quot; brakes (depending on year)
- heavily modified cooling system (for all the idling)
-steeper cams, and redone ECU... now 240HP
-much stiffer suspension.

Checker/yellow top cabs (my old employer) stopped using former cop cars in 1998 because the ride (really stiff springs) offer way too rough of a ride.
Dont worry about irregular maintenence repairs until 400,000km.

(which is pretty comforting to know)

EDIT: I've never seen any Impala cop cars... but (so I've been told) they have LS1 engines in them.. and are also very relible. Most Impala's I've seen are also great cars.. with no given &quot;weak point&quot; the one I remember seeing had 623,000 on it.. and still ran great... didn't blow blue or anything

I did not know most of that, that's interesting. The only problem I think they still have is that a ton of idling isn't good for your motor, even if you have better cooling. If you car is on all day long and half of that is idling, that is no good. Also, i think 240hp out of a chipped V8 with different cams is absolutely pathetic. Aside from that it would probably be fun to drive around in because everyone would think your a cop. If your ever leading a pack of cars or parked on the side of the road, you would hear people slamming on the brakes constantly.

Every crown vic i've been in rides in a straight line OK, absolutely cannot corner, has retarded use of trunk space (spare tire just sitting there, don't know if this is the case with the police ones) and has one of the lowest quality interiors available, with Ford's usual copious amounts of super cheap plastic/switches/materials in general, etc. Again, that being said, the car is only costing you $3000, thats fairly cheap, but thats about all I'd pay for a pristine one only a few years old. I think you should go drive some crown vics and ask yourself if you really want one. If they do have different suspension, that would make the ride a little better I guess.

dino_martini
08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
http://www.crownvic.net

Check out this site.

lbrowne
08-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I did not know most of that, that's interesting. The only problem I think they still have is that a ton of idling isn't good for your motor, even if you have better cooling. If you car is on all day long and half of that is idling, that is no good. Also, i think 240hp out of a chipped V8 with different cams is absolutely pathetic.

I highly doubt the cam and chip is anything for good performance numbers like what most of us here are after. In fact I'd like to see some hard proof that they even have different cams. If anything the "chip" is probably only to remove the factory govenor and maybe raise the rev limiter and adjust shift points.

Put the RIGHT cam(s) and tune in that same motor and you would get much nicer results and you are only at the tip of the iceberg with that V8. Most of the police package on those amercian sedans is a heavier duty suspension and cooling - much like what was already said.