PDA

View Full Version : E36 Suspension

Loose
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you have for suspension, and what your impressions are. I'm stock, except for sway bars. The shocks feel a bit tired and I was thinking of upgrading to aftermarket stuff. Because of my RD front bumper, I don't want to go too low. Only an inch or so lower, max.

Tell me what you got and how it rides and handles. I have 17's BTW.

cmodem
08-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Dinan Stage 1... Koni yellows two way adjustable (compression and rebound) with matching Koni springs.

I love it... rides rigid when needed but still way better then my old integra with a 1.5 inch drop on tokico blues and matchign tokico springs.

Best setup imho... my buddy also has tokico blues with ground control on his e36 it's alright rides well too but a little more rough over the bumps cause his spring rates are stiffer then his tokico blues.

If you can afford the koni's or blistein i'd go for them. my .02 cents. But quite a bit of drop... which i love... negative fender well baby!! haha

Weapon_R
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Go for the tried and true bilstein/H&R setup. If you don't want the drop but still want to upgrade your shocks, get an M suspension that will give you a very mild drop + maintain a great ride.

Loose
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Does anyone have axle to fender lip measurements so that I can figure out how much my car is sagging right now?

It's a 94 325is

cmodem
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
if you have the bentley repair manual it will tell you. If you need it let me know or if you just want the straight measurements i can post them later tonight when i get home.

2m0a0x2
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Go for the tried and true bilstein/H&R setup. If you don't want the drop but still want to upgrade your shocks, get an M suspension that will give you a very mild drop + maintain a great ride.

From what I have heard, bilsteins are quite stiff, with no way for adjustment.

I would honestly go with TCKline or Ground control coilovers. I am currently using Koni Yellow adjustable with H&R Race, and although the drop is nice, I would definitely prefer the ride to be softer. 300+ spring rate in the front and 550 in the rear is just way too hard for the street. On sudden bumps, I hate it. On smooth roads it is fine though. I may make my rear softer when I have the time on my shocks.

Handling is good, but probably because it's a BMW, and not because of my suspension. I do not take corners as hard as my car can really handle, so I do not really know on this point.

And don't be scared of going too low. I don't ever scrape, and I have a front lip that lowers a lot more compared to the OEM lip. You just have to take everything at an angle. 'Tis all.

Oh, and get an Xbrace. Makes a world of a difference.

cocoabrova
08-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Definitely upgrade to aftermarket front struts when using lowering springs. I had new KYB OE replacements on for 2 mths. with Eibach Sportlines/Bekkers lowered spring seats, and they're already going. There are Koni yellows on the rear, which I'm happy with, so I ordered some Koni Yellows for the front too. With stock swaybars and Koni's all around, I'm sure I'll be pleased with the ride/handling.

ACS-e36
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
i recomend H&R sports
low enough to look good can get around town easy! this drop gives you rear tuck and 1 finger gap up front if your running 17s. for shocks.... you have a choice of koni, bilstein on FKautomotive. all 3 are decent choices