PDA

View Full Version : Preparing house for sale, handyman needed

szw
08-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Need a handyman to get a house ready to sell.

Some things needed:

-carpeting replaced (only living room and 1 bed room)
-small room: needs Linoleum
-some stairs need repairing (possibly carpeting)
-some doors repaired
-fix some holes in walls and repaint rooms

Anyone have anyone good and affordable? (more affordable than good)

Found a guy in the paper but I don't really know how good he is, and he charges $50 an hour for everything. Seems a little steep to me, any comments on that?

Toma
08-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by szw
Need a handyman to get a house ready to sell.

Some things needed:

-carpeting replaced (only living room and 1 bed room)
-small room: needs Linoleum
-some stairs need repairing (possibly carpeting)
-some doors repaired
-fix some holes in walls and repaint rooms

Anyone have anyone good and affordable? (more affordable than good)

Found a guy in the paper but I don't really know how good he is, and he charges $50 an hour for everything. Seems a little steep to me, any comments on that?
I am almost done prepping my house.... did almost everythig mysefl becasue the "trades" guys are crooks, dont finish jobs etc...

Only thing I paid someone to do so far is the carpets.

I painted the whole house (well, my mom an dI did), 1200 square foot bungalow and 700 foot basement.... had 2 painters quote $3000+ ?!?!?!?! Fucking nuts

Timbertown has laminate that is pretty damn good for .77 a foot.... looks killer, and end of the roll has berber carpet in a few styles for as cheap as 1.15 a foot. I would do laminate in the small room instead of lino....

Timbertown also has the cheapest moulded primed baseboards... .22 cents for the 2.25" thick which I used in the bedrooms and as window casing, and 3.25" stuff for .39 a foot that I used in the "feature" areas like living room, kitchen and dining. They also have incredibly cheap doors (from $9.99) and door handles in brushed stainless look from $6.99.

I can get you the number to my carpet guy..... he works evenings on the side, and was the cheapest quote I got....and he stuck to his quote.

T5Bird
08-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Toma, PM me your carpet guys # as well. What did he charge per sqft? Let me know when you want to come and paint my house too. ;)

topmade
08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
Toma: pm me the cheap carpet guys phone number as well. Please and thanks.

szw
08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Toma

I am almost done prepping my house.... did almost everythig mysefl becasue the "trades" guys are crooks, dont finish jobs etc...

Yeah this is what I am worried about. With so many people moving here I don't really trust some guy I found in the paper.

Thanks for the tips. I am not really interested in doing it myself but I may give the easier jobs a shot.

max_boost
08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey SZW.....I might have a lead on someone for you. My neighbour (right next door) is a contractor. He does some pretty good work. I can get you in touch with him if you want. Or come over to my place and I'll show you the deck he built, madd skillz for sures. Maybe you guys can work something out Let me know dude.

TrevorK
08-11-2006, 08:35 AM
$50 / hour is way too much, especially considered the guy isn't a journeyman in what you need done.

I've been offerred help from actual ticketed tradesmen for $20-30 (Under the table) all the time.

szw
08-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Hey SZW.....I might have a lead on someone for you. My neighbour (right next door) is a contractor. He does some pretty good work. I can get you in touch with him if you want. Or come over to my place and I'll show you the deck he built, madd skillz for sures. Maybe you guys can work something out Let me know dude.

Cool i'll contact you in the next week

PremiereImports
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
If anyone wants close to wholesale pricing for carpets and any type of flooring, I have an in at Kensington Floors. They have it all, same goes for lighting and plumbing products at Robinson's Lighting and Bath Centre.

PM me for details