PDA

View Full Version : recomend <25 sports coupe

blueswitch
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey all new to the forums. Im looking for advice on what you guys think is a good sporty coupe trying to stay under 25k...I think the WRX is about at my limit..might be a tad over. Right now Im just online comparing...but I've looked at the RSX type-s, WRX, GTI, Cobalt SS. Kind of have narrowed it down to the RSX type-s and the WRX. Basically I want something thats going to outperform a Lancer ralliart. I know the WRX will but the fact that the RSX has leather and moonroof for less has me leaning towards it. Is there a big performance gap between the WRX and the RSX? and are these above a ralliart speed/quality? Please suggest anything else.

spyce
08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Ralliart is not that fast. I think its 0-60 is somewhere in the low to mid 7 sec range. 1/4 mile is probably high 15's too.

The WRX will for sure be much faster than the ralliart. 0-60 in the mid 5 to high 5 sec range I think.
If you get the RSX I suggest you go with the Type S, or dont even get one at all. 0-60 on it is about 6.6 secs with the 2005+ being slightly quicker by .1 or .2 secs. The engine responds very well to simple bolt on mods if you dont plan on spending a lot of money on the engine.

Price wise, you could probably pick up an 02-03 Type S for under 25k. Maybe even an 04 if you are lucky.
For the WRX you would definitely be looking at around a 2002. And for me personally I would only pick one up if it was the 04/05 model.

If you want pure speed then go for the wrx. But if you want a nice balance between speed and a little more luxury, then go with the Type S

bituerbo
08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Nothing drives like an AWD/RWD.
Out of everything you listed the WRX sounds like the best bet.

4 door practicality, AWD for performance and winter traction.
My father's girlfriend had an RSX, sooo many problems. mostly ignition/electrical.

FivE.SeveN
08-10-2006, 11:56 AM
WRX will eat more gas than an RSX for sure. Probably not a huge deal since people who buy sports coupes can afford the extra $10/week over a Geo Metro. But still, something to consider.

acura_el
08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
i'm biased toward the type S just because i love that car so much...cant wait to get a real job

i'd recommend the RSX, and as said earlier, type S or nothing:thumbsup:

blueswitch
08-10-2006, 12:36 PM
yup I have to go to the dealers yet to see what the monthly payments would be...I agree with the WRX that I'd look at 04+ I didn't like the bug eyes on earlier models...I really really like the tri-gille the 06 has. As far as specs go I;ve been trying to get it all from MSN autos...because the 0-60 seems to change at different sites...MSN has the WRX at 5.49sec and the RSX-S at 6.2....they didn't list the ralliart but I saw it on another site at around 7.4 I think. Reason I use that as a starting point is a friend of a friend (a real putz) has this 05 ralliart he thinks is the bomb..even has a nerdy plate that says defeat you too in l337 type....so I looked up the ralliart, saw that I was hoping to get something that performs better anyway and I don;t want to hear his mouth run about how his car performs better than my new one...so I just said...it's gotta be above a ralliart atleast :burnout:

My only reservation with the WRX is for the price a moonroof would be nice since every compeditor has one..and most have leather too. But then again...I ski and AWD might be nice.....decissions:banghead:

Xtrema
08-10-2006, 01:12 PM
You know WRX and Ralliart are not coupes, right?

If you are on a budget, don't buy Subaru. Everything about Scoobies are expensive.

A2VR6
08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, ask yourself this... does down low power and torque mean alot to you? If yes then theres no question, get the WRX. I've driven both cars and I have to say there are a few times where im tempted to trade my RSX in for a WRX. The thing about the RSX is that you have to work a bit to get the most out of the car when you drive it but to me thats what makes it so fun to drive. Some people really dont like that.

bituerbo
08-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Buy my Audi :burnout:
$22k, 320hp, 380ft lbs
6spd, about as luxurious as you can get for sub 40k.
Will beat the bloody piss out of a lancer ;)

90Tegra
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
srt4

mslbebiz
08-10-2006, 05:53 PM
0-60 times for a manual RalliArt are around 7 seconds flat. Best I've seen was 6.9.

Don't know about most of those cars being higher quality as the Mistubishi is solidly build in a nice minimalist kind of way, but the Acura is of higher build quality. Mostly it's great interior. And Subaru is known for killer reliability.

All you listed will be marginally quicker.

Why not just spend a few grand more and buy a used C5 Corvette? It's 10x the car of any of those you listed.

Or are you looking at only front/awd?

blueswitch
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by mslbebiz

Why not just spend a few grand more and buy a used C5 Corvette? It's 10x the car of any of those you listed.

..I've heard mitsubishi take alot of flack in engine build.

the corvette....I don't know if I have enough jack for a WRX let alone a vette I'm in grad school LOL...besides this will be my primary car so a vette is not practicle. I have had a bunch of people say srt4...I know it performs badass and all...but it is a jacked up neon and I just can't get over that fact...just like how the cobalt is just the new cavalier.

Sharpie
08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by blueswitch

..I've heard mitsubishi take alot of flack in engine build.

the corvette....I don't know if I have enough jack for a WRX let alone a vette I'm in grad school LOL...besides this will be my primary car so a vette is not practicle. I have had a bunch of people say srt4...I know it performs badass and all...but it is a jacked up neon and I just can't get over that fact...just like how the cobalt is just the new cavalier.
You cant compare a srt-4 to a neon and you cant compare a cobalt to a cavalier. They are both totally different cars.

mslbebiz
08-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Mitsubishi USED to have shifty reliability, but IMO they're one of the best values out there now.

For instance, their brand new Lancer platform based Outlander is now the top-selling SUV in Japan. Outselling the RAV4 and the CR-V.

I hear ya on the Vette... probably not practical for someone in grad school.

From your list, the RSX-S and WRX are definite stand-outs. The WRX is more practical and a bit quicker, but the RSX-S is the real driver's car of the two.

The WRX has 4 doors, the RSX-S, just 2. Depending on your needs, either can be a plus or a minus.

RSX-S will shine in gas milesage, but what's $10 a month anyhow.

Looking to modify the car in the future? The WRX will be much cheaper speed being turbo-based, so keep that in mind too.

Your best bet is to drive both and see which suits your personality and lifestyle better. Maybe even make a Pros and Cons list to see things in a different light. Old schoo, but it works. :)

Nissanaddict
08-10-2006, 06:51 PM
The SRT-4 is built on the same platform as the Neon though. The Cobalt other than the Ecotec motor and tranny, is on a completely different platform than a Cavalier. That said, it's uncomfortable as hell. No clue about the SRT-4. I'd go with the WRX out of what you said as well.

blueswitch
08-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

You cant compare a srt-4 to a neon and you cant compare a cobalt to a cavalier. They are both totally different cars.

know I totally know that but thats all I think when I see them. The cobalt actually looks like a decent performing car for the money...but it's just very plain looking.

That.Guy.S30
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
if you looking at the wrx's might as well look at the legacy gt's. 1000 price difference. more mature in my opinion.

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Buy my Audi :burnout:
$22k, 320hp, 380ft lbs
6spd, about as luxurious as you can get for sub 40k.
Will beat the bloody piss out of a lancer ;)

:werd: , buy his Audi. It will be twice the car of anything your looking at, the only thing is that it isn't brand new so if that doesn't bother you, id spend my money there instead. You will have more fun than anything you listed with a nicer ride and more luxury. Also you dont need 8000 RPM to get torque...you need only 1800. In my opinion, there is no better all round car available for anywhere near this price range.

max_boost
08-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Let me tell you this. The WRX is the ultimate daily driver. I fucking love this car. I own both the RSX-S and WRX and the WRX is such a pleasure to drive day in and day out. Sure the WRX is not as nice as the RSX in terms of luxury amenities. No leather, no sunroof, interior looks like it's from the 80's. If you can get over that, it's truly an outstanding car to own.

Oh yah WRX will destroy the RSX with minimal effort in a race. Low end torque FTW

In terms of what you are looking for however, Mazda 3 GT package dude. $26500 out the door. Includes everything, heated seats, leather, sunroof, 17inch wheels, etc. Fully loaded. Excellent deal if you are looking for a new car.

spyce
08-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Let me tell you this. The WRX is the ultimate daily driver. I fucking love this car. I own both the RSX-S and WRX and the WRX is such a pleasure to drive day in and day out. Sure the WRX is not as nice as the RSX in terms of luxury amenities. No leather, no sunroof, interior looks like it's from the 80's. If you can get over that, it's truly an outstanding car to own.

Oh yah WRX will destroy the RSX with minimal effort in a race. Low end torque FTW

In terms of what you are looking for however, Mazda 3 GT package dude. $26500 out the door. Includes everything, heated seats, leather, sunroof, 17inch wheels, etc. Fully loaded. Excellent deal if you are looking for a new car.

you are really in love with the mazda 3 arent ya? :poosie:
lol its okay. my brother has one..awesome car for the money!

max_boost
08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I just think it's a good buy for the money but I would never buy one unless if it was meant to be my winter beater or something. :rofl:

blueswitch
08-11-2006, 11:11 PM
ok what do you guys think of this. I got a Mazda dealer to work with me a little, I can get a speed6 leased 24 months for $257 a month with 2,500 down..thats 15k miles. Seems like a good deal...he beat the Subaru dealer on the WRX TR with it which I didn't expect to happen. If I wanted to buy he could do $514 a month for 60 months, which was also cheaper than the WRX TR that guy quoted me $487.17 for 63 months. The lease on the speed6 seems like a good deal with the monthly payment exactly half...in two years I can walk away from it if IM tired of it...or if I fall in love I can go buy a 2008/2009......what do you guys think..I didn't think the speed6 was in my price rang but apparantly it's closer than the WRX

I test drove a mazda 3 today...I like the way they look this was a 07 in rally blue...spoiler...it was growing on me...seems to handle good for the money...but it has a decent amount of road noise....and it dawged when you hit the petal...this was the 2.3L...I can see why people are excited for the speed 3...give that thing some horse and it would be fun to drive, and your right it does seem good for the money...you could fit a body in the glove box.

max_boost
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I was thinking how the hell did you get those numbers until I realized that you are from the US.

My buddy has a Mazdaspeed 6 and it's a really nice car. Power wise they are very similar, basically depends on the driver hehe. If you care about looks and luxury, get the Mazda. If you want low key sleeper characteristics, get the WRX.

I'm one of those guys that loves a low monthly payment and switches cars very often. I would get the Mazdaspeed 6.

Impreza
08-13-2006, 12:34 PM
I think you should take a look at the new GTI, especially if you're in the states (good deal). You can even get the 4door one! With the DSG, it is a pretty quick car!

TheLegend8
08-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Go with the cobalt ss supercharged, it will out perform any of those cars and is cheaper then the WRX + comes with way more standard features.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Still think you should buy a 2000-2002 S4, with a $600USD chip it will rape any of the cars you suggested, have way more usable power everywhere in the power band, all with more luxury and you can carry 5people if you want. They fall right in your price range, especially if in USD.

mslbebiz
08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Haha, funny. People only recommending the cars they own... can you say "biased"?

Anyhow, that Speed6 sounds like a good deal, but find out what the lease buyout will be, and if you think the car will be worth that after the lease. That way you can buy it out if you want and won't have wasted all that money on the lease.

Yes, the GTI is a decent car, but it's a VW... one of the very worst year in and year out for reliability.

If you're looking at a Speed6, and the 3, why the hell not look at the MX-5?... a little more than the 3, but cheaper than the Speed6, and it's actually a real sports car. And if you feel the need to not clutch through heavy traffic every day, the automatic is very good and barely slower than the manual.

Good luck!

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Haha, funny. People only recommending the cars they own... can you say &quot;biased&quot;?

Anyhow, that Speed6 sounds like a good deal, but find out what the lease buyout will be, and if you think the car will be worth that after the lease. That way you can buy it out if you want and won't have wasted all that money on the lease.

Yes, the GTI is a decent car, but it's a VW... one of the very worst year in and year out for reliability.

If you're looking at a Speed6, and the 3, why the hell not look at the MX-5?... a little more than the 3, but cheaper than the Speed6, and it's actually a real sports car. And if you feel the need to not clutch through heavy traffic every day, the automatic is very good and barely slower than the manual.

Good luck!

Im not reccomending the S4 because I own one. I am reccomending it because I truely think it is the best choice given what he wants. I own one because I was in the same situation as him a while ago, picked the S4, and cannot think of anything else that will give you more for the dollar in the price range. Without heavily modifying something, I don't think you can find a better mix of performance and luxury for $25,000. Also, I must disagree with the miata being a true sports car, due to one aspect - it is EXTREMELY slow (i.e. most family sedans these days are quicker), and I would say the number one thing that defines a sports car is its performance. It does handle pretty good, and may look sporty to some, but I think power/speed is a pretty big element of a sports car and it is lacking heavily in that department. When your talking in the 7 second range, it doesn't really matter if the automatic is only 0.1 seconds slower than the manual in my opinion.

mslbebiz
08-14-2006, 01:58 PM
There's a lot more to performance than straight lines, and I'd argue that the MX-5 is more engaging and fun to drive than any of the cars listed here.

In fact, some argue that the original (and slowest) version is still the most fun.

Why do you think many people why own more serious sports cars also own Miatas (MX-5's). They're like stress reduction on wheels ;-)

The Miata is not only a true sports car, it's one of the most important sports cars to ever come along. If not for it, we probably wouldn't have the Boxster, Elise, S2000, etc, etc.

Besides, it's not slow... 6 1/2 seconds to 60 mph is right around some of these other cars listed, but the MX-5 has something else very important going for it...

It's one of those cars that'll feel a lot faster than you're going, whereas most of these others will feel like you're going a lot slower than you are. Unless you're James May, you'd choose the former.

The S4 is a nice car with decent perfomance (I know someone with a V6 A4 convertible and it's very nice - not as quick, but nice), and it's surely not the end-all. A good bargain used for sure, but then again so is an STI or if in the US, and Evo.

I think he's looking at new cars for a reason... for financing/leasing purposes and the peace of mind of a warranty. A used Audi can't touch that, especially with high repair/maintenance costs.

Hopefully he drives a bunch of different vehicles and finds out for himself what really suits his tastes and style. All the bickering in the world won't make up for a few test drives.

Mitsu3000gt
08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
There's a lot more to performance than straight lines, and I'd argue that the MX-5 is more engaging and fun to drive than any of the cars listed here.

In fact, some argue that the original (and slowest) version is still the most fun.

Why do you think many people why own more serious sports cars also own Miatas (MX-5's). They're like stress reduction on wheels ;-)

The Miata is not only a true sports car, it's one of the most important sports cars to ever come along. If not for it, we probably wouldn't have the Boxster, Elise, S2000, etc, etc.

Besides, it's not slow... 6 1/2 seconds to 60 mph is right around some of these other cars listed, but the MX-5 has something else very important going for it...

It's one of those cars that'll feel a lot faster than you're going, whereas most of these others will feel like you're going a lot slower than you are. Unless you're James May, you'd choose the former.

The S4 is a nice car with decent perfomance (I know someone with a V6 A4 convertible and it's very nice - not as quick, but nice), and it's surely not the end-all. A good bargain used for sure, but then again so is an STI or if in the US, and Evo.

I think he's looking at new cars for a reason... for financing/leasing purposes and the peace of mind of a warranty. A used Audi can't touch that, especially with high repair/maintenance costs.

Hopefully he drives a bunch of different vehicles and finds out for himself what really suits his tastes and style. All the bickering in the world won't make up for a few test drives.

I agree, he needs to spend a couple weekends driving everything he can think of that he may want, and then make his decision. If he is buying new, the S4 is obviously out of the question. I've driven the mazda speed 6 and the WRX is pretty much it's closest competition for the price. I liked the mazdaspeed 6 and was very impressed that they didnt keep it FWD, like chevy does on some of their cars even when they drop V8's and SS badges them. The motor in the speed6 is pretty good too, not alot of turbo lag and a nice torque curve. My guess is that he would quite like a chipped S4 with coilovers ($1400CDN coilovers + $1000 CDN chip), AWD, 320hp, 380 lf/ft torque, 100% torque available from 1800 RPM, and handles like its on rails with almost zero body roll and still very comfortable in the city. The STi you mentioned would be a good choice also, but I dont believe they can be had for $25,000.

theostubbs
08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Beware of the mazda dealers, most dealers are greasy to some extent, but in my experience, the mazda dealers are expecially greasy and will work the number hard. 63 month financing? who the heck sells 63 month finances? haha! might aswell go for a 120 month financing! (sarcastic if you cant tell).

Stay away from the WRX, it will forever change your opinion of 'what a good car drives like'. After a WRX, you'll be hard pressed not to spend 40k+ to be satisfied with your next car.