PDA

View Full Version : PST on car purchase from Ontario

Strider
08-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm looking to buy a used car from a dealership in Ontario, and they've told me that I'll have to pay the 8% PST up front, and can apply for a rebate afterwards.

Is this the usual process? I remember people saying that there's paperwork that can be filled out for OOP purchases from BC so that PST doesn't have to be paid. Should this be the same for Ontario?

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
You have to pay it upfront, and then you get reimbursed for it. I believe that is the only way to do it, but if someone knows of forms that eliminate it altogether, please correct me.

nonsane
08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
When you buy things on the internet you are not charged PST if the company resides in ontario. I don't see how this would be any different when buying a car.

They probably want you to pay it in case your claim of living in alberta is fraudulant, then they are liable for the tax money not collected.

98brg2d
08-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I think contractually, internet purchases are made on the buyer's computer, hence seller's local tax doesn't apply. Purchases over the phone or on site are made at the seller's location hence all local taxes apply at the time of sale and may be reimbursable after the sale.