PDA

View Full Version : Close call

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
So... I hate Calgary drivers even more now...

I was driving down southbound Elbow Drive... just before 55th Ave (chinook area). And I was in the left hand lane, medium traffic... There is a navy blue jeep cherokee (I believe it was a cherokee) in the right hand lane... all of a sudden he changes into my lane without signaling... not that i'd normally have a problem with that, if I weren't there... He pushed me into oncoming traffic, I was able to slam on the brakes and swing in behind him before I hit anyone... closest call I've ever had... I have his license plate number written down as well so I'll report him as well... Do I just call the 266-1234 number?

Thaco
08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
yeah, call them, but they'll tell you unless you're willign to show up in court, there is really nothing they can do.

I had some jackass in a cavalier doing 60 in a playground zone right up to my back bumper and then pass me on a 1 lane road, brake check me, blow through another playground zone, through a stop sign and drift around a right hand turn on a red light, and that's what they told me.

spyce
08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
That happen to me about a month or so. It was heading up on 4th ave there to connect on to bow trail and someone lady thought she could start pulling into the same lane as me when was pretty much right beside me. I had to swerve an inch away from hitting one of the medians and slam on my brakes. :guns:

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
:( well that sounds familiar... scariest part was when i saw the oncoming traffic....

thanks for the input

Kona9
08-10-2006, 07:12 PM
was this jeep grand cherokee navy blue with a gold stripe in the body moulding? Also, to your recollection...were there two aftermarket round fog / driving lights attached to the top of the front bumper between the headlights? Perhaps a middle eastern male driver?

These are fairly vague and standard descriptions, yet I had a recent encounter with an absurd driver of the same vehicle. Crazy driving habits. If busted for what I saw, there would be instant license removal for sure!!

Good luck!!

Tik-Tok
08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Similar thing happened when I owned my Ramcharger, except on deerfoot with the guard rail beside me, stupid woman in a new SUV changed lanes, while the front on my truck was parrellel with her front door.

That could've been a huge mess, `cause you know how stable SUV's are:nut:. Thank god for that 4' of space between the lane and the rail, and for loud obnoxious horns of old.

Mar
08-10-2006, 07:19 PM
I was driving on Barlow today and there was a dark Grand Jeep Cherokee sitting face down in the ditch. Not sure how that happened, but maybe the same guy? It was about 15 feet from the railway tracks.

sh0ko
08-10-2006, 07:43 PM
assholes

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
was this jeep grand cherokee navy blue with a gold stripe in the body moulding? Also, to your recollection...were there two aftermarket round fog / driving lights attached to the top of the front bumper between the headlights? Perhaps a middle eastern male driver?

These are fairly vague and standard descriptions, yet I had a recent encounter with an absurd driver of the same vehicle. Crazy driving habits. If busted for what I saw, there would be instant license removal for sure!!

Good luck!!

didn't see the front... maybe on the gold... and the windows were tinted so wasn't close enough to see driver after they cut me off.... could be the same guy

Clever
08-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Good luck!!

weird, i saw a similar jeep but i don't recall a gold stipe, driver fits the descriotion though, he almost caused an accident on the Crowchild south/Glenmore west ramp, i remembered the jeep and the driver since he ended up weaving through traffic and mad dogged me because i didn't let him in my lane. at least 3 cars were honking at this guy.:thumbsdow

BigBadVlad
08-10-2006, 11:22 PM
twice last week, f ing soccer mom in her Saturn Vue, when merging stay in the right lane, not shoot right over to the left lane!!!
first, was some old fart in his older Jeep Cherokee (not blue).

Seriously, a public awareness annoucement on TV about checking your blind spots when changing lanes and using your turn SIGNALS would probably help this city!!! :guns: :zzz: :whipped:

Sad part is I'm actually getting tired of avoiding other idiots on the road, I'm getting tempted to just let someone hit me instead of avoiding them...

gp36912
08-10-2006, 11:29 PM
:D yup drivers today, dunno how most of them get their license. i had a close call today too, some idiot in a white eclipse (i think) was driving beside me in the left lane, decides he needs to get into the parking lot and cuts right in front of me. we were going 60 and if i hadn't slammed on the brakes i woulda t-boned that bonehead. but i didn't wanna do that because we already lost a car last week due to another idiot driver rear ending it. (broke the back end really good.)

ashee
08-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Elbow drive was a mess I encountered several idiots there today. What the heck are they doing at Sifton blvd?

nonsane
08-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Does it have a BC plate?

Graham_A_M
08-11-2006, 06:06 PM
about drivers... I'm up in Whitecourt (since I now work/live up there) and I can't believe how safe and "good" all the drivers are.. everybody is SO legal and courtious. I guess like myself most people work in the oil & gas sector whereas there is extensive driver training.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread... but that sure is cool to see.

ninspeed
08-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ashee
Elbow drive was a mess I encountered several idiots there today. What the heck are they doing at Sifton blvd?
Bridge repairs/repaving, narrow the road to reduce speed, and added a traffic circle at 4th street... Basicaly, they are making that road like every other road in the area... They just need a new bridge across the river

BerserkerCatSplat
08-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
about drivers... I'm up in Whitecourt (since I now work/live up there) and I can't believe how safe and "good" all the drivers are.. everybody is SO legal and courtious. I guess like myself most people work in the oil & gas sector whereas there is extensive driver training.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread... but that sure is cool to see.

Hah, I lived in Whitecourt for many years, and the drivers are excellent!

Tik-Tok
08-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Hah, I lived in Whitecourt for many years, and the drivers are excellent!

Lol, I remember staying there a few times during my seismic days, I was always thinking "Wtf? Why is everyone doing the speed limit?"

ashee
08-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed

Bridge repairs/repaving, narrow the road to reduce speed, and added a traffic circle at 4th street... Basicaly, they are making that road like every other road in the area... They just need a new bridge across the river

Narrowing it? That's going to suck.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Lol, I remember staying there a few times during my seismic days, I was always thinking "Wtf? Why is everyone doing the speed limit?"

That's the truth and nothing but! I remember riding my bicycle down the Hill and being fairly certain I was going faster than the traffic! :rofl:

Graham_A_M
08-12-2006, 10:01 PM
^ I love it. Beautiful country side.. really friendly girls.. and great drivers.. (as well as half decent housing prices) its just like Airdrie meets banff.... but with no tourists.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
For sure, my father just moved back up to Whitecourt to work as general manager for Phoenix, he loves it up there. I kinda miss it as well, I should go back for a visit sometime...