PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running a Similar Setup to this...??

theostubbs
08-11-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm interested in doing a few 'newbie to intermediate' level mods to the engine. I'm not interested in anything exotic, or anything that could compromise reliability and normal highway drivability.

I'd like to know if anyone in our local community has a setup similar to what i'm about to describe, and hear some feedback.

Cobb puts out the Accessport for the WRX with stage 1 and stage 2 ECU maps. I'd like to go for stage 1 at first, but, bigger picture, i think i'd be willing to install an aftermarket downtube between the turbo and my catback exhaust, and go to stage 2. Sounds like that would be the upper limit to the ammount i'm wiling to spend on mods (less than $2k).

The reason i like Cobb (over the other ECU techniques) is that i can do it myself, and 'un-do' it myself without sending the whole ECU away for programming.

Anyone used the cobb Accessport, and does it make a significant difference? The web page advertises a 50-60 hp gain with a better torque curve, but we all know what advertisements are like. I'd hate to spend thousands on some wimpy 20hp mod, thats just gonna make the car louder, and un-sellable.

Any tuner companies in the city do ECU programming locally?

Thanks

Fuji
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
go to www.nasioc.com look. search the canadian forum.

theostubbs
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I guess what i'm looking for is a brave person to fess up, and allow me to check out their ride. How loud is it, hows the exhaust smell comin out the back, and if i'm really fortunate, i'd like to sit in the passenger seat for a 5 min drive, maybe to a local pub where I'll buy the beer.

Fuji
08-11-2006, 12:17 PM
ask the guys on nasioc. They are always willing!

mac_82
08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
according to this poll, 70% of canadian nasioc users have ems. and i am willing to bet 85% of them have the accessport.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065302

and here is the thread with some dyno results from our july protune session in edmonton:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054846

Pee_Sack
08-11-2006, 06:57 PM
If I was in Calgary I would take you for a drive.

I have cobb accessport reflashed to stage 2, along with perrin uppipe and downpipe.

If you plan on going to stage two also get an aftermarket up pipe as the stock wrx up pipe has a cat in it. Or what a lot of people do, and if you know how it's a lot cheaper is just to gut the cat outta the stock up pipe.

Ask anyone (I guess that is what you are trying to do) that has went from stock - stage 2, and they will tell you it is night and day difference. It is well worth the money.

If you are worried about smell then get a catted downpipe, I am catless and I know a couple other guys that are catless and the smell that the subbies emit is horrible, but I for one cannot give up any of the boxer rumble.