PDA

View Full Version : Best HDTV

AcuraTl
08-11-2006, 11:09 PM
So we recently got a 1080i compatible HDTV LCD 37inch TV! We are wondering whats the best HDTV service to get with it (price/channels), SHAW is really ass, you HAVE to buy the terminal for 750 bucks, as well as they have a poor channel line up.

What about expressvu? Any dealers here willing to give a beyonder a deal? ;), i heard they were pretty good?

A HD+PVR would be ideal :)

cheers!

Acuratl

GoChris
08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
well, if i had some cash, I would switch from shaw to bell just for HD. shaw is ok, its nice having HD, but clearly bell has more channels and I beleive not as much compression on them.

now if shaw got rid of all analog channels, it would be awesome, but thats another story

Cooked Rice
08-11-2006, 11:31 PM
I prefer expressvu. The HDTV reciever is like $300 and the one with the PVR is $600 I believe. The dish and install is free. Any reason you didn't go for a Plasma?

Xtrema
08-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
now if shaw got rid of all analog channels, it would be awesome, but thats another story

Not gonna happen.

Analog is their bread and butter. It will stay til you can't buy an analog TV anymore.

Das_Amaretto
08-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Not gonna happen.

Analog is their bread and butter. It will stay til you can't buy an analog TV anymore.

Nope... actually the CRTC won't allow them to get rid of their analog channels. Unlike the US, which has a date set for full conversion to digital (including over-the-air HD), Canada has no such date.

They'd love to drop the analogs cuz they can fit liek 6 or so digital channels in the space 1 analog takes up.

ICEBERG
08-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Shaw is pretty poor when it comes to HDTV and their channels. The only reason i have Shaw HD now is because my wife won't let me put up any satellite dishes on the house.:( :(

Come on Shaw, give us more HD channels with better quality picture.

HiSpec
08-12-2006, 12:03 AM
why get 1080i when 1080p is slowly becoming the latest and greatest HD.

Sure it'll be bitmore expensive but you'll be set for few years down the road.

Das_Amaretto
08-12-2006, 12:05 AM
^:werd:

can't wait for 1080p to go mainstream. It's about time. finally, true HD is arriving.

HiSpec
08-12-2006, 12:15 AM
^:werd:

the pictures quality is just amazing!!

GQBalla
08-12-2006, 12:55 AM
actually by 2009 i think, they plan on removing all analog stations because 911 emergency is goin to be using those.

have you looked into star choice?

they are having a sale right now 20% off all receivers -
new system with a hd box is $145 if you want you can pm me for more details.

hampstor
08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Das_Amaretto

Nope... actually the CRTC won't allow them to get rid of their analog channels. Unlike the US, which has a date set for full conversion to digital (including over-the-air HD), Canada has no such date.

They'd love to drop the analogs cuz they can fit liek 6 or so digital channels in the space 1 analog takes up.

once the US goes full digital there will be no need to have an analog tuner in TV's anymore... since the US is a much larger market manufacturers will remove the analog tuner, save billions of dollars and then force us Canadian's to either convert or only watch CBC :nut:

AcuraTl
08-12-2006, 08:42 AM
would love to switch to EXPRESSVU, but they have contracts, and i dont really like that. Looking into starchoice a bit, u can get a HD receiver for like 70 bucks with them (incl free ppv and programming credits).

GoChris
08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
starchoice is ok channel lineup wise, price, customer service etc.

but their receivers are piss slow software wise. I cant stand waiting for the guide and just going through it is slow compared to anything else.

yeerj
08-12-2006, 10:23 AM
If you are looking HD why would you go with Star Choice or Shaw. They have 13 and 8 HD channels respectively.

ExpressVU has over 30.

AcuraTl
08-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by yeerj
If you are looking HD why would you go with Star Choice or Shaw. They have 13 and 8 HD channels respectively.

ExpressVU has over 30.

agreed, starchoice i would need to spend over 450 for installation and receivers and a one year comittment! (would ahve to return equipment w/o money back if i dont keep).

Yeerj get me a good deal man, i PM'd u my number :P

Crymson
08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I actually like shaw, because i'm sure they'll expand the channel lineup over the next few years, and you don't pay anything other than your box, which is reasonable (400 for the reciever, 700 for the reciever with the PVR). I think we got some "free" time with bell when we bought our TV, but it required a contract and you couldn't buy the receiver, you coudl only rent on a monthly basis, which i wasn't down with.

modded46
08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
+1 for Bell.. many channels and very reasonabley priced considering.

The Cosworth
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
why get 1080i when 1080p is slowly becoming the latest and greatest HD.

Sure it'll be bitmore expensive but you'll be set for few years down the road.

although I agree... isnt it to late to flame this poor guy for buying a nice tv non the less??? also my friends ALL have bell and its the shit