PDA

View Full Version : ::Help with shoulders!

radar2000
08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
What is the best excercise for shoulders!? I've been lifting weights like crazy for a month now, but seeing no improvement (muscle mass or cuts at shoulder). I been doing Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press, Side & Front Dumbell raise, Machine Shoulder press thingi about 3 days a week now. Wat should i do to see some results..supplements ??? Srry i m a beginner.

Note: Has anyone recently noticed two weirdos at UofC gym? One asian guy and the other white dude(big geekie glasses). I mean they are freakin hyper idiots...stares around more then working out. I mean come on mind ur bussiness!!

5hift
08-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Try standing dumbell press. Its harder at first but it works your core pretty hard as well. If you go back to seated dumbell press after a while you'll notice how much easier it is to do. Not seeing gains could have nothing to do with your workout. Usually its because your not consuming enough calories.

hussein
08-12-2006, 12:36 AM
I find shrugs work really well.

Sometimes when I go to the UofC gym I see this older guy there who wears a sleevless red shirt I think with obviously no arms to show off lol. On top of it all I love watching him do use the machine where you grip the handles and then spread your arms laterally apart as if they are wings, not sure what its called, but its the machine on the across from the chest press ones. But I am pretty sure its for the shoulders, and I always see this guy swinging his knees and his arms to get as much leverage as he can, even on his first few reps.

lol, hopefully thats not you.

BloodBaneZXY
08-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by radar2000
What is the best excercise for shoulders!? I've been lifting weights like crazy for a month now, but seeing no improvement (muscle mass or cuts at shoulder). I been doing Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press, Side & Front Dumbell raise, Machine Shoulder press thingi about 3 days a week now. Wat should i do to see some results..supplements ??? Srry i m a beginner.

Note: Has anyone recently noticed two weirdos at UofC gym? One asian guy and the other white dude(big geekie glasses). I mean they are freakin hyper idiots...stares around more then working out. I mean come on mind ur bussiness!!

3 times a week? Sounds like some overtraining going on.

Just hit your shoulders hard once a week, high intensity compound movements. My routine is something like..

Military BB Press 3 sets x 6-8 reps
Seating DB press 2 sets x 6-8 reps
Side DB lateral 2 sets x 8-10 reps
Bent over reverse laterals 2 sets x 8-10 reps
DB shrugs 2 sets x 6-8 reps
BB shrugs 2 sets x 8-10 reps

itsnotaDUB
08-12-2006, 03:31 AM
traps or front mid rear delts they are all diffrent try consulting a trainer at your gym...

pinoyhero
08-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Stick to pressing movements and go as heavy as you can without sacrificing too much form. 5 to 7 reps max.

ecstasy_civic
08-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Stick to pressing movements and go as heavy as you can without sacrificing too much form. 5 to 7 reps max.

That works best for me:thumbsup:

acura_el
08-12-2006, 12:08 PM

:werd: i usually go with the big barbell for military presses.

try doing the clean, sweep and press too, that one works really well for me

radar2000
08-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks for ur opinion guys! I have reduced my dite aswell...but taking in a good amount of protien (shakes, meat..chicken etc). I m trying to reduce those fat at the same time.

Originally posted by 5hift
Try standing dumbell press. Its harder at first but it works your core pretty hard as well. If you go back to seated dumbell press after a while you'll notice how much easier it is to do. Not seeing gains could have nothing to do with your workout. Usually its because your not consuming enough calories.

Yes, i'll try this definatly...but i don't want to put too much strain on my back .

Originally posted by hussein
I find shrugs work really well.

Sometimes when I go to the UofC gym I see this older guy there who wears a sleevless red shirt I think with obviously no arms to show off lol. On top of it all I love watching him do use the machine where you grip the handles and then spread your arms laterally apart as if they are wings, not sure what its called, but its the machine on the across from the chest press ones. But I am pretty sure its for the shoulders, and I always see this guy swinging his knees and his arms to get as much leverage as he can, even on his first few reps.

lol, hopefully thats not you.

Thats not me lol...altough it sounds like he is an hardcore old man. ;)

Originally posted by acura_el

:werd: i usually go with the big barbell for military presses.

try doing the clean, sweep and press too, that one works really well for me

yes barbell miltitary press is the hardest one ! Best way to do is to bring barbell down in front of shoulders or behind ??

5hift
08-12-2006, 04:55 PM
^^

I see a lot of guys doing it behind the head, but on most the lifting forums and fitness mags, they say to never go behind the head.

1-Bar
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
^the pure anatomy of the front shoulder when pressing from behind the head does not effectively contract these muscles.

Plus its a lot of strain on the supporting ligaments. Kinda like doing a wide grip pull over behind the head. The muscles are not aligned in that way to benifit from lifting at that angle.

Try Arnie Presses for shoulders, overhead throws with the med ball, twisting overhead throws with the med ball for some variation to your shoulder exercise. :thumbsup:

Wildcat
08-12-2006, 07:01 PM
lots of lateral variations are key to shaping your delts, as they hit all 3 heads. presses are your bread and butter exercise of course. as for front raises im not a fan, hard on your rotator cuffs and back, and pressing is hitting the ant. delt already so i dont bother.

bikrbabe
08-13-2006, 08:17 AM
You know hun, sounds like the best idea is to go see a trainer. We can see what you are doing and suggest ways on improving.... it could be your posture, how heavy the weights are that you are using, types of exercises, lol, actually a lot of different things.

That's what we're there for, to personalize and develop! ;)

acura_el
08-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
^^

I see a lot of guys doing it behind the head, but on most the lifting forums and fitness mags, they say to never go behind the head.

yeah i never go behind the head. i've read that you can injure yourself that way and a few trainers have also told me the same thing

jumperman8
08-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by radar2000

No offence but not many people see huge gains or cuts within the first month. I went hard for about 4 months, 6 days a week doing mainly olympic lifting before i saw any really noticeable changes. PATIENCE is key!!!!!!

Keep doing what your doing, maybe try super setting your shoulders on your back day, or something like that if you want to try to gain results faster!

msommers
08-13-2006, 05:20 PM
How's your diet?

FlamingC19
08-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Ya man if your eating right and getting the proper rest in between workouts after the first few weeks you should notice some change.
As for shoulder workouts I basically have the same advice as everyone else concentrating on military press type excersises. At the end of my shoulder workout I always try to get the last little blast, so I grab a 35 lb plate with both hands and hold it straight out in front with your arms straight and the weight at about eye level. Do it until you are about to drop the plate, it will get the blood flowing great and give you one last pump before you finish.

antoniobeyond
08-18-2006, 12:24 AM
I doubt he is overtraining, trust me it is very hard to do and it usually happens when you work your entire body too hard. Even so, i'd go with twice a week. You said you have been working out a month...honestly u need to give it more time. This is what i would try:

Seated dumbell press 4 sets 5-8 reps
Dumbell side raises 4 sets 6-10 reps
Cable side raises 4 sets 8-12 reps
Cable front raises 4 sets 8-12 reps

Side raises are the key to building good shoulders in my opinion. I was dumbell pressing 120 lb dumbells and still wasn't happy with my shoulders until i started working sides really hard. Hope this helps.

pinoyhero
08-18-2006, 09:37 AM
^ Too many raises IMO and thanks for the "I can do more than you can 120lbs. plug", LOLOL jk! I think you need to incorporate some upright rows, shrugs, etc to get the traps going too

FlamingC19
08-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I doubt he is overtraining, trust me it is very hard to do and it usually happens when you work your entire body too hard.

How is it hard to overtrain, what people do not understand is your muscles need the rest to properly recuperate and grow. You need at least a day to rest between each shoulder workouts.

I was dumbell pressing 120 lb dumbells and still wasn't happy with my shoulders

Your my hero :poosie:

pinoyhero
08-18-2006, 10:27 AM
^"Your my hero", LOLOLOLOL

acura_el
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by scotty_69

How is it hard to overtrain, what people do not understand is your muscles need the rest to properly recuperate and grow. You need at least a day to rest between each shoulder workouts.

:werd: working out is only 50% of getting in shape (if that)...the rest is proper nutrition, diet, and getting enough rest...but u have to remember to push yourself when u train cuz undertraining is just as bad

i only work my shoulders once a week and they're growing steadily....so far so good

FlamingC19
08-18-2006, 12:49 PM
working out is only 50% of getting in shape (if that)...the rest is proper nutrition, diet, and getting enough rest...but u have to remember to push yourself when u train cuz undertraining is just as bad

Ya I know that's what I meant by when I said that. When your at the gym you can not train yourself hard enough but if you go 4-5 times a week wrokign shoulders then you are overtraining yourself and wont really find as much results because the muscles need time to rest.

^"Your my hero", LOLOLOLOL

LoL does that mean that you will give me the G35. LOL

lil*tymer
08-18-2006, 06:04 PM
I like to do a headstand and then push myself up into a hand stand, you feel the burn quit abit after 10. Good for building size cause your whole body weight is against you.

civic_rida
08-18-2006, 06:59 PM
i do 3 sets a week for shoulders Not including the sets i do for my back .

i have no trouble makin them grow

lil*tymer
08-18-2006, 07:05 PM
3 sets a week, i get in 15+ sets aweek at shoulders. u must have good genetics to not have tro work them much.

Wildcat
08-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
i do 3 sets a week for shoulders Not including the sets i do for my back .

i have no trouble makin them grow

you mean 3 exercises right? ...i hope

civic_rida
08-18-2006, 07:07 PM
yea i think everyone has a body part that they can make grow easily.

civic_rida
08-18-2006, 07:09 PM
i dont think you need 9 sets of direct shoulder work to make them grow.

Wildcat
08-18-2006, 07:11 PM
well if your shoulder have 3 heads and your using a variety of movments to hit them all, then your 9 sets divided by 3 different muscles makes for only 3 sets right? thats kinda a dumbed down math way of looking at it..

civic_rida
08-18-2006, 07:15 PM
i just think when your doin chest your shoulders get hit
when your doin back your shoulders get hit.

Unknown303
08-19-2006, 11:54 AM
In Mens Health the Rocks trainer recommends "21's" to develop good shoulders, though there are definately other exercises to do in there as well.

three.eighteen.
08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
21s are for biceps unless its like the same idea you're talking about but for shuolder press instead...a lot of people are mentioning traps as a shoulder muscle in this thread, i've always considered it sort of a part of the back more than the shoulders (even though i do them on shoulders day) does anyone do traps with back??

Wildcat
08-20-2006, 02:58 PM
^i do

acura_el
08-20-2006, 04:24 PM
^+1

pinoyhero
08-20-2006, 06:04 PM
^^I don't do traps with back but with shoulders, my shoulders/traps day consits of...

dumb press
lat raises
upright rows
shrugs

antoniobeyond
08-21-2006, 03:56 PM
^ Too many raises IMO and thanks for the "I can do more than you can 120lbs. plug", LOLOL jk! I think you need to incorporate some upright rows, shrugs, etc to get the traps going too

Good call on the upright rows, i totally forgot about them because my left rotator cuff is fucked so i dont do them anymore.

antoniobeyond
08-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh im sure u can do more on dumbell press than me now, i can't even do that movement thanks to rotator cuff injury. Shrugs are good but i do them with back.

pinoyhero
08-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by antoniobeyond

Good call on the upright rows, i totally forgot about them because my left rotator cuff is fucked so i dont do them anymore.

Give em another try maybe, I never used to because it would just kil my shoulder, was off em for about 2 years, just never tried em, got back on em just recently and am loving the full shoulder movement.

antoniobeyond
08-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Oh trust me I tried them recently. My shoulder is seriously fucked, but it is getting better, maybe in a few months. I used to do tons of upright rows both for traps (narrow grip) and for shoulders (wide grip)

BloodBaneZXY
08-22-2006, 12:18 AM
^^

perhaps that's why you're shoulders are fucked. Upright rows are really hard on your rotator cuffs, and the movement feels unnatural.

Stick to like 8-9 sets for shoulders a WEEK, adequate rest is essential. Simplicity is success.

The 8-9 sets I mention don't necessarily hit traps. I only do about 2-3 sets for traps a week.

Heavy deads make my traps/forearms grow like mad anyways..

antoniobeyond
08-22-2006, 11:16 AM
No, the reason my shoulder is fucked is because of a fight i got into when i was drunk.

AdamSarkozi
08-25-2006, 03:23 PM
beginners should stick to the basics, do chest , back and legs and do compound excerises, dont worry about doing arms or shoulders

pinoyhero
08-26-2006, 08:52 AM
^I almost agree with you but I think shoulders are integral as well, i'd back off of bi's tri's forearms and calves for sure though.

1-Bar
09-05-2006, 12:51 AM
^^whoop whoop, no go on the upright rows, its like shoulder pressing behind the neck or lat pull behind the neck. Does dick all IMO....you are better off doing shrugs/raises/dead lifts to hit the traps....