PDA

View Full Version : wardriving???

VeilOctane
04-18-2003, 03:58 PM
what your guys input on hijacking wireless internet.....???

it can be done with peeps with laptops in thier cars and wirless internet 802.11b cards...

check it out calgarywireless.net

i think it great having a source of free wireless internet

speedyalero
04-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by VeilOctane
what your guys input on hijacking wireless internet.....???

it can be done with peeps with laptops in thier cars and wirless internet 802.11b cards...

check it out calgarywireless.net

i think it great having a source of free wireless internet

It is a bit of a grey area when it comes to the law. Detecting the access points is fine and legal but as soon as you use or sniff that traffic you have violated a couple laws. I know a bunch of people (me included) are thinking of putting antenas up on their houses/apartments/etc.. and start giving out free wireless access -- I helped set a network like this up in Boston was quite cool.

redec
04-18-2003, 06:41 PM
bah...if the companies don't take the time to secure their networks, they get what they deserve.....it's like storing a pile of cash on the sidewalk.....sure it would be illegal to take it, but it's quite incredibly stupid of the person to store their cash there.

speedyalero
04-18-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by redec
bah...if the companies don't take the time to secure their networks, they get what they deserve.....it's like storing a pile of cash on the sidewalk.....sure it would be illegal to take it, but it's quite incredibly stupid of the person to store their cash there.

I agree for the most part except that it is difficult to properly secure a wireless network. WEP is a joke and can be cracked with a little effort. That plus the fact that 90% of the so called "security experts" in Calgary are idiots and don't know the first thing about security -- they just like to play buzzword sales... sigh.

The real problem is, regardless of who's at fault for leaving the network insecure the law will side with the corporation. You will be branded a hacker (although you are probably not one) and prosecuted for something stupid.......

rage2
04-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by speedyalero
I agree for the most part except that it is difficult to properly secure a wireless network. WEP is a joke and can be cracked with a little effort.
If you use 40-bit WEP, it'll be cracked rather quickly. 128-bit is a bit tougher to crack, won't be able to do it from a laptop that's for sure. You can, however, sniff enough 128bit WEP encrypted packets to reveal some data, but cracking the key is still a bit tough AFAIK.

MAC address restrictions, that works well. But it doesn't matter, cuz 90% of the wireless systems out there don't even have WEP enabled, let alone MAC restrictions.

speedyalero
04-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by rage2

If you use 40-bit WEP, it'll be cracked rather quickly. 128-bit is a bit tougher to crack, won't be able to do it from a laptop that's for sure. You can, however, sniff enough 128bit WEP encrypted packets to reveal some data, but cracking the key is still a bit tough AFAIK.

MAC address restrictions, that works well. But it doesn't matter, cuz 90% of the wireless systems out there don't even have WEP enabled, let alone MAC restrictions.

The key length doesn't have much to do with the cracking of the WEP keys. WEP itself and the implementation among the major vendors is what makes it vulnerable.