PDA

View Full Version : Daytime Running Lights...

adidas
08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
I was just wondering if you need DRL's here in calgary?

I really dont wanna get a ticket for something so weak, but knowing the cops they can give you a ticket for anything. Ive seen a few ppl here and there not have DRL's and just wondering if anyone has ever gotten pulled over because of it?!

Police
08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
only cars 90+ have DRL's

adidas
08-13-2006, 11:51 PM
So would there be a problem driving without them?

nismodrifter
08-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Please check the sticky at the top of this forum which covers material about vehicle modifications and regulations.

3. If a motor vehicle has the following equipment or safety system installed by the manufacturer of that vehicle, the equipment or system must be maintained in good working order:

(a) an anti‑lock braking system;

(b) daytime running lamps;

(c) a centre high mounted brake lamp.

That to me means that if your car came with DRL's...then they must be kept in proper working order.

Daytime running lamps

12. The daytime running lamps on a motor vehicle may emit amber or white light.

And if your car has DRL's they must not be of a gay color.

So yeah...technically it looks like you ARE supposed to have them. I disabled mine because I'm pimp. No troubles from the police.
Also.....I see lots of newer cars with no DRL's? WTF?

adidas
08-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks nismo...seems like ill disable them on my golf since it looks much better! the city lights get the job done if you ask me!

jdm_jspec
08-14-2006, 12:04 AM
^^haha yea
they are brightt
but once you leave calgary its like pitch black and you cant see shit

racin_jayson
08-14-2006, 12:05 AM
I've never owned a car new enough to have DRL's :(

nismodrifter
08-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Do you have an MK4?

If so, just pop out your light switch, remove the connector, and then bend the pin that is labelled "TFL".

freakin
08-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by jdm_jspec
^^haha yea
they are brightt
but once you leave calgary its like pitch black and you cant see shit

Disabling DRL's won't effect your headlights. I just pulled the DRL fuse on my car so I wouldn't waste a set of hard to find H4H bulbs.

adidas
08-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Do you have an MK4?

If so, just pop out your light switch, remove the connector, and then bend the pin that is labelled "TFL".

Yea i do....i already know what to do thanks to the guys on vortex, but i just wasnt too sure if i would get pulled over or not!

But i like to live dangerously. lol

JAYMEZ
08-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I turned my DRL off ... I just dont like having them on all the time.. dunno why?

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-14-2006, 02:04 AM
i dont mind mine... no issues... but i've seen a few without (hid conversions and such) that dont get hassled by the cops

riceeater
08-14-2006, 02:17 AM
it shouldnt ever be an issue, as long as you are responsible and turn the headlights on at dusk, during raing, etc... as long as you're not indagering someone, they cant/wont bother ticket you... kinda like how you could drive with no headlight bulbs during the day, assuming you park in the evening :nut: they're not gonna stop you over to check... i find even the enlarged exhaust is widely open to interpretation... all 4 of my cars have had large exhaust, and though i've had my share of tickets, i never got any hassle for the exhaust... as long as you dont stick out, you'll be left alone; i've imported my srt in february, and as soon as i passed the tests i took out my makeshift DRL module and havent had any issues yet

hussein
08-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Sweet. Any ideas on how to do this to a 2003 pathfinder? I couldn't find a drl fuse. :(

V6-BoI
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
My DRL relay crapped out on me like 2 years ago. I've been running my car without any DRL for a while now, and no hassle from the cops. Although I do miss my DRL though, just been too cheap to fix them